So I've been reading a lot online about mixing drums and heard a lot of people say that you should not put reverb on a kick drum, is this true? Because I usually send all my drums to a bus and then add reverb to them. What techniques do you guys use?
Hell yes I put reverb on my kick tracks.

But why does what I do matter?

Do what sounds best to you and be done with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's because a kick drum has a lot of low, and reverberating low frequencies can get real muddy.

I sometimes split my kick (and/or bass) in a low and high band and send them separately to the verb-bus. With this you can also really focus the punch of the kick in the high band
It is a general rule of thumb that kick drums don't get reverb, but there are always exceptions and special circumstances.
Depends on the sound you're going for, man. It's good, if you aren't putting any 'verb on the kick or snare/toms, to at least bus them all through a natural, room sound impulse response or something (cymbals too) to give at least some ambience that prevents it sounding too sterile and dead.

Then again, I'm sure a lot of extreme metal folk are very anti-ambience on the whole kit. FWIW, I used a room mic when tracking the last death metal band I recorded, and also had individual verb on the snare and toms. Didn't put any 'verb on kick but didn't need it with the room mic and the sample I was blending with it.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I like to add room reverb to the entire kit and that gives me a big drum sound. What works for me might not work for you but I always get the best results by doing it that way. Room reverb is like the icing on the cake for my tracks when I record drums.
I put kick on all drums except kick, mostly because kicks are usually supposed to be kinda punchy sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I put kick on all drums except kick
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I rarely add reverb to kick drum, floor toms or bass. It just keeps things tidy in my ears. Every rule is open to exception though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by oneblackened
I put kick on all drums except kick, mostly because kicks are usually supposed to be kinda punchy sounding.

Makes sense to me...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Derp, reverb. Chronic sleep deprivation makes me a bit absentminded.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think it depends on the song and how busy the kick is. If the kick is only doing a few beats per measure it can add a nice texture in some cases to the bottom. If the kick is very busy it can just blur the defination of the kick because not enough time has been passed for the reverbs decay. If you have multiple drum tracks and have the kick on it's own track, try using a separate reverb or very short delay.