Hi, Does anyone know what amp Jimmy Page might be using during his live performance of Stairway To Heaven at Madison Square Garden, linked below. If you could hazard a guess that would be great. I know that he was a big fan of Marshall, but by listening to it, it doesn't sound like a Marshall. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7Vr3yQYWQ

,Ryan
dunno but fun fact he used a fender telecaster to record the solo to stairway to heaven- a rare time he used anything but a gibson lp
When did he use an AC30? His main weapons were little Valcos (Supra mostly but he owned something like 15 different Valcos) in the studio and a Marshall Major on stage. On SRTS he was using a Major.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pretty sure he sometimes used Orange amps live
Last edited by mcamp12302 at Jul 20, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
When did he use an AC30? His main weapons were little Valcos (Supra mostly but he owned something like 15 different Valcos) in the studio and a Marshall Major on stage. On SRTS he was using a Major.

I would love to get one of those Supra's
I'm having trouble playing youtube vids atm but that is an excerpt from The Song Remains the Same so I didn't have to watch it. It's a Major. I'm sure he's used a few things over the years but Zep live was usually a Marshall Major. Whenever people talk about Majors it's usually prefaced with "the amp used by Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jdenmo
dunno but fun fact he used a fender telecaster to record the solo to stairway to heaven- a rare time he used anything but a gibson lp

I heard the first 2 Zeppelin albums were all telecaster

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
^same thing, i was aware he used telecasters quite a bit early in his career especially.
Quote by mcamp12302

they're really sweet.

i got 3 and imo they are really worth it.

edit: Supro, with the O instead of the A, a supra is a car. all my supros are rebranded: kay, gretsch, oahu (i guess technically they's be rebranded Valcos instead of supros , whatever they still sound good).

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 20, 2014,
Quote by mcamp12302
A Supra module for my RM100 is very tempting I must admit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I heard the first 2 Zeppelin albums were all telecaster

Fender Esquire actually
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

+1

A 200 watt Plexi basically running KT88s.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

A 200 watt Plexi basically running KT88s.

damn that would be pricey to retube, $300 in powertubes alone

you can get a kit for a supro, turretsboards.com

i used their kit for my 18w, weber for my JTM45 (MUCH less impressive), and some parts will go into my 5E1 in a few weeks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When we supported the Cosmic Psychos, Macka was using a Marshall Major with all four KT88's. Sounded incredible pushed with a TS9DX. The Majors have a sound all of their own, truly great amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For many years, Page has had his 100-watt Marshall Plexis modified so that they have 200 watts RMS. He may have used such amps in that video, or he may have gotten hold of a Marshall Major, which already packed 200 watts RMS. The Marshall Major was certainly an interesting amp - where would Ritchie Blackmore have been without it? But it was a royal pain to lift, and it was said by many who owned them to have been a maintenance nightmare, though I do not know why.

Back in the days of Led Zeppelin, Page also used Orange 4x12" cabinets to go with his Marshall 4x12" cabinets. I am not sure what kind of speakers he loaded them with.

If you want to reproduce that tone, your best bet would be a 100-watt Marshall SLP and a Gibson EDS-1275. This, of course, is one very heavy and very expensive setup. But it is the stuff that dreams are made of, so why not?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Cathbard

Page used Vox in the Yardbirds and most likely on the first Zep album (along with the amps you mentioned). if you watch the very early Zep tv appearances they were using Rickenbacker amps
Quote by trashedlostfdup
damn that would be pricey to retube, $300 in powertubes alone

you can get a kit for a supro, turretsboards.com

i used their kit for my 18w, weber for my JTM45 (MUCH less impressive), and some parts will go into my 5E1 in a few weeks.

You can get a new Supro also
http://suprousa.com/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To me, going by sound alone, it sounds like he's using an old Marshall of some description, but with a wah pedal permanently set somewhere near the "full-treble" position, and dialing in the level of gain he wants with his volume knobs (maybe using the tone knobs to tame some of the harshness too)

It's much more thin and nasal sounding than the typical gibson -> marshall setup, and I seem to recall a few people telling me Jimmy Page often used a wah pedal like that on stage.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
More fun facts. On one '60's tour Page used Rickenbacker Transonics (these things were trapezoidal) and tuck and roll Kustoms. And the tele. The Transonics are particularly interesting (and pretty rare) because of their shape, because they were designed by Bob Rissi (now making Risson amps) who had been a design engineer for Fender. He's holding a preamp circuit in one of the shots below. Page hated them, and the band left them behind when they went back to England, and they were purchased by a member of Cheap Trick.

Quote by Robbgnarly
You can get a new Supro also
http://suprousa.com/

i heard that was in the pipeline after Zinky sold the rights to the supro name. didn't know they were already out.

also, if you want the old octal preamp designs of the 'crappy' practice/beginner valcos then Vintage47 makes some of those. i actually like the old smaller valcos more than the big ones i have played.

http://vintage47amps.com/

i have an old version of their comet that sounds amazing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae