I am refinishing an RG 7321 that was black.

I took the paint off and I am about to be done with sanding it.

I do not have experience refinishing guitars so I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I go forward.

My goal is to stain the wood so that it is a natural wood color. From my research online so far it seems like using Tru Oil or Tung Oil might be what I want to use as far as aesthetics.

I'd love to hear some opinions on these oils and whether you'd recommend anything else.

I do not know what I can do for a protective coating over the stain to protect the guitar. It is a basswood guitar so having a soft wood it can dent easily so I feel like I really need some for of protective coating.

How can I do a protective coating?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You sure you want to keep that basswood natural? It is a very ugly wood, and doenst take stain well. And yes, it is insanely soft, so it will dent really easily.

THis

You are also looking at the wrong thing, tru oil isn't a stain it is an "oil" that hardens and goes on top of the stain to protect the wood

check out this staining video to get an idea of staining a burst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeERvZ8ca3o

and check out this one for applying tru oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFT9kdJFkaI
I attached where I'm at with sanding.

Thanks Sytharnia for showing me the staining video. I have seen that Tru-Oil video which is where I got the idea of just using an oil because it seemed like they did that and it darkened the wood a fair amount which is what I'm going after.
Attachments:
photo (2).JPG
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
You can hit it with some natural colored dye from a luthier supplier like ReRanch. Do like 3 coats of that sanding in between and diluting the dye in between each coat. This makes the grain darker than the surrounding wood and will give a nice overall look to the wood. Then do the Tru Oil, I'd say 5 coats for a nice glossy coat that will provide a bit of protection. Apply it, let it dry and take it down to a satin finish with 0000 steel wool and apply the next coat.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
You can hit it with some natural colored dye from a luthier supplier like ReRanch. Do like 3 coats of that sanding in between and diluting the dye in between each coat. This makes the grain darker than the surrounding wood and will give a nice overall look to the wood. Then do the Tru Oil, I'd say 5 coats for a nice glossy coat that will provide a bit of protection. Apply it, let it dry and take it down to a satin finish with 0000 steel wool and apply the next coat.

This would undoubtedly be the best way to go about doing it. Although, if it were me, personally, after the 5th coat has dried and cured, I'd hit it with a 1500 grit wetsand to even out the finish a little then apply one last coat, wetsand, then polish to get a decent shine from it.