I've been following the Justin Guitar courses and some others for a couple of years. Justin and others teach that the guitar should rest on the right leg. However, I find that resting on the left leg works better for me.

First, the balance is better. With the guitar on the left leg, the lower right leg makes a good support for the lower rear section of the guitar.

Second, the position of the guitar is the same as it would be standing. When it's on the right leg, the guitar is further to the right of where it would be standing. It makes it harder to play a song I've learned sitting when I go to play standing.

Is it completely wrong to do this? Do others play with the guitar on the left leg?
No, you're totally fine playing that way, it's much closer to the posture that classical players play in and has thus been dubbed "classical position", despite the differences between real classical playing and what electric players tend to actually do.

It's realistically much better for practising and playing for the reasons you've identified and that it gives you much better access to the higher frets.

That said... 'normal' position playing isn't wrong either, it's much more casual and sometimes you might just end up doing it anyway because you just want to play and don't want to practice or whatever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
...it's much closer to the posture that classical players play in and has thus been dubbed "classical position", despite the differences between real classical playing and what electric players tend to actually do.

Thanks for the reply. I also have the neck up at an angle rather than close to horizontal. I have issues with tendons in my elbows and wrists, and the less I have to bend my wrist the better. Putting the guitar on the right leg almost necessitates holding the neck horizontal, and requires my fret hand to be too close for comfort on the higher frets.

I'm glad I'm more or less normal.
Quote by Monkeyleg
the less I have to bend my wrist the better

That's generally true anyway, straight wrists mean less strain on the tendons and so on. Keep it up dude!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The best posssible way which suits you.......is the position you play,,,,,,,,same with holding the pickk..
Whatever works for you is right. I like the guitar on my right leg because otherwise the end of the fretboard is too far away, but if that doesn't bother you, than more power to you.
I'd argue sitting the way you sit is actually much better than sitting in casual position.
Left leg is objectively better because it put less strain on your left arm and spine. There's just no better way to get even hand coverage on the entire neck. I use it whenever I'm practicing/playing anything technically intense.

But, if I'm just jamming or recording stuff, I'll usually sit in "casual" position. If I'm playing difficult stuff I'll sometimes sit in "kickin back" posture that puts the guitar closer to the shoulders, like classical position.