So I've been playing guitar for about 6-7 years now, and it's feeling difficult to be motivated to practice and improve. I would say I'm moderately skilled, though I struggle with soloing. Specifically, I listen to A LOT of Avenged Sevenfold, and while I can play the riffs and rhythm to many of their songs, and can usually learn the majority of the song quickly. When it comes to the solo, or rather the faster sweep picked, rapid picking, parts of the solos, I just feel like I can't do it. So I move on, learn everything but the solo to another song, rinse and repeat.

So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help this, I feel like in the past year, I have hardly progressed at all (I haven't been playing as much cause of work, but still). Are there any bands which could perhaps act as a stepping stone to the more advanced soloing? Or should I just buckle down, and practice during all of my free time?

I love music, and love playing it, but when you don't feel like you're improving, it can be difficult. Any and all help is appreciated and thank you very much in advance!
Last edited by oXObsidianXo at Jul 21, 2014,
Might be best to actually take lessons for a while. Someone who can take the time to look at what you're doing, pick it apart and tell you how to get better.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Might be best to actually take lessons for a while. Someone who can take the time to look at what you're doing, pick it apart and tell you how to get better.

This, I did it, it works.

Oh and TS, riffs, not rifts.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
play jazz
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
play jazz

Or that
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I had taken lessons up until last august. Would weekly lessons be good? Or are there any other suggestions?
Sometimes you just plateau and it's hard to work through that. My advice is to either just walk away from guitar for a bit and come back fresh, or try playing other music that you just enjoy playing without focusing on improving. It'll pass eventually, you just have to either be able to clear your head or make music fun again, not frustrating.

Good luck dude!
Quote by BelowTheSun
I think the problem is that you're listening to Avenged Sevenfold.

My thoughts exactly.
In terms of improving more, pick some techniques you want to learn and then just sit down and practice them.
I have nothing important to say
Use a metronome

Learn precise economic motion

Don't ask the the pit for guitar help because most people here don't play anymore

Repeat
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Use a metronome

Learn precise economic motion

Don't ask the the pit for guitar help because most people here don't play anymore

Repeat

This.

If you're struggling with sections that are too fast for you to play cleanly, the only way to learn to play them cleanly is by learning them at a speed at which you can play cleanly, and then gradually increasing speed from there. You can't practice speed, you can only practice accuracy. Slow the section down, turn on a metronome, and focus on hitting every note at an even volume. If you're constantly missing notes, slow it down more.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Start learning easier solos but ones with various techniques used, it'll help you build your tolerance if that makes any sense.
Learning the scales they use and practising them should most likely help.

Also don't make it an obligation. One must enjoy playing in order to improve. Playing different styles of music every once in a while breaks the monotony. Even taking a break from playing and watching live performances should be beneficial.
Thanks for the advice so far. I think I'll take the advice on listening to different styles and using the metronome. I'd prefer to not take a break from playing though.