I have been learning on an old MIJ squire bullet and plan on getting a new axe soon. For some reason I have always loved a strat from the beginning. I have done a little research and decided that a MIM used would be the best to get. I understand that Strats are easily and often modded. What should my concerns be when buying one? How much should I expect to pay? Are pickups a huge deal? I know that people usually replace those but I'm not sure which ones to get or how much I can pay for those. I want a setup that gives me a wide range of tones as this will be main guitar. Also I love blues and rock and love Hendrix , SRV, And Clapton who all play Strats.
A stock mim strat can go for as low as $200, $250 is about the norm. They don't hold value well simply because there are so many.

I'm not a fan of stock mim fender pups but there's lot's of interesting replacements out there.

Make sure you try before you buy if possible. Imo, "feel" is the most important thing when guitar shopping, you can upgrade anything else.

You seem to be on the right track though, good luck!

Ps. Make sure you try one with a nice maple neck, thats a big dealmaker for a lot of people. A nice soft, buttery maple fretboard.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 21, 2014,
I'm not sure about specific models, but at least some of those older MIJ squiers are quite sought-after. The bullet is normally the cheaper one, so don't get too excited, but it might not be any worse guitar than an MIM.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978

Make sure you try before you buy if possible. Imo, "feel" is the most important thing when guitar shopping, you can upgrade anything else.

Herein lies the truth. Heed no other.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo