I'm going to get a strat soon, and need help deciding which neck. I think this debate goes for all guitars though. I like the Maple neck way better but not sure about fretboard. What are the differences, if any in playability and sound?
Some people find maple a little smoother, less "grippy".

Bottom line: you need to try a few of each. You should be testing the actual guitar you buy in any case - not just a similar one.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Maple sounds more spanky and bright to me, but as always it's not a difference worth losing sleep over or worrying about too much.

My Predator has a 1 piece maple neck/board (the fretboard isn't a separate piece) and I actually really like it a lot. The finish on it makes it feel smoother, glossier than rosewood. It feels more like ebony, but due to the finish it's even smoother than ebony.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i think i like maple better. that's pretty much entirely personal preference, though. as offworld said, bit spankier/brighter but fairly subtle. i like how it looks and feels.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The strat i had for a while had a lovely maple neck on it. Every other guitar ive owned has been rosewood.
I loved that strat neck but didnt get on with the pickups so it went.

I love the rosewoods on the three guitars in my sig. As has been said, best to try first.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I like maple for the looks, especially birdseye on a dark body (I don't like fancy body woods). The way I play, feel doesn't make any difference. It is often said that it will give a brighter sound than r'wood, but I've never done a comparison.

FWIW, I prefer to tones of my two mahogany-necked guitars to the four maple ones, but there are too many other variables to draw any general conclusions.
I feel no damn difference, since my frets are huge. Therefore, I always choose rosewood due to its hardness.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
I feel no damn difference, since my frets are huge. Therefore, I always choose rosewood due to its hardness.

I agree, I can feel and hear no differences
And I own guitars with Ebony, Rosewood and maple boards as well as guitars with different wood for necks. the finish affects the feel to me more than the wood
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like how the maple neck feels like marble. Smoother than my rosewood fretboards. My strat's rosewood is polished though and smoother, but not as smooth as maple. The maple is snappier too.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jul 21, 2014,
The traditional answer is an all maple neck is brighter sounding than a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard... personally I can't tell much difference. It's mainly a feel and look preference, and as others have said if you get a guitar with jumbo or XJ frets (Jackson, ESP, Schecter, etc) it matters even less because your fingers rarely touch the fretboard wood.

The neck itself makes a difference in tone. Mahogany gives you more emphasis on the low-mids than maple.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
i prefer maple. always had rosewood of my guitars until i got a stratocaster style guitar and its sounds a feels fantastic.
ebony is my preference, but IMO maple is prettier than rosewood, and i like the feel more. its a little more spanky and a little more attack maybe.

i may just be weird (i have owned around 15 fender teles/strats) and i have always had the maple fretboard guitars longer, and i have sold off all of the others. '95 MIM strat 1997 (IIRC) MIA deluxe plus) and a 1952 AVRI and a a MIA std (twang kings) they are ALL maple.

i think that for me i only like fenders in maple. to me they just sound a little better.

i have rosewood or ebony on all of my gibsons, one maple fretboard prestige and two rosewood, maple on the wolfgangs, i don't remember them all after that though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by deadsmileyface
the difference is gonna be more in the feel than the sound

i agree, but take two identical strats (as close as you can get anyways) the one with the maple makes more of a snap, and the rosewood is more smooth sounding.

maybe its just the aliens living in my head telling me to type this.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I was a Rosewood fretboard guy for a long time but have come to love the maple on my Tele. No wrong answer, just try both and pick one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have both and honestly it's more about feel than sound to my ears. the rosewood does have more grip to it.
Long term the rosewood will hold up better. The finish applied to the maple will eventually wear out and you'll start staining the maple that's exposed. I read once that Leo himself was horrified by the look of a well used/played Fender maple neck that had worn through the finish.
Of course this really doesn't mean anything except how it'll look.
Moving on.....
I prefer graphite. It's really stable
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Me personally I love the way a maple fretboard looks, feels and sounds right to me. My Carvin is maple neckthrough with mahogany wings, so it doesn't sound thin when you have cleans on, but you still have the bite of a Strat when you split the humbucker. You can play funk and sound genuine but you can also switch the channel and play metal and it sound genuine as well. It also has to do with pickups and electronics as well.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Makes no difference to the feel or sound. Aesthetically I prefer maple on a strat.
Maple increases your awesomeness by at least 25% and makes you 50% more attractive to the opposite sex. Fact.
Quote by Fret Frier
I'm going to get a strat soon, and need help deciding which neck. I think this debate goes for all guitars though. I like the Maple neck way better but not sure about fretboard. What are the differences, if any in playability and sound?

Very little difference in sound.
It's really more a question of whether you like touching paint or real wood. Maple fretboards are clear coated, while rosewood and ebony aren't finished and don't need to be. The reason becomes obvious when you wear through the paint to the wood; dirt, sweat, acids and moisture begin to ruin/rot exposed maple.

My personal choice for fretboard woods is ebony first, rosewood second with maple a distant fourth or fifth, after resin (Parkers, Richlite boards on Gibsons and Martins), prestressed bubble gum and fossilized dino dung.
Quote by Nuggs
Maple increases your awesomeness by at least 25% and makes you 50% more attractive to the opposite sex. Fact.

True. Assuming you're a particular species of rhino beetle (here shown inspecting prospective neck woods)...

to me rosewood seems to "break in" for lack of a better term the more you play them the better they feel in my experience, maple not so much
Maple necks got the look man. Not to mention there's some rosewood ou there that stinks the place up. My Strat has it
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Nothing is worse than a dry rosewood fretboard, but a nice piece of rosewood will play very nicely. Not as smooth as ebony or maple, but if you have large frets, you rarely touch the fretboard except on bends. Personal preference makes a far bigger difference, pick whichever you like best.