You're likely to be disappointed with an acoustic-electric in that price range. If not right away, in a few months time.

Most people here would recommend the Yamaha FG-700 in the $200.00 price point. Take note this guitar is acoustic only. It has a solid top though, and it's performance unplugged would almost certainly shame the two you've chosen.

Some Fender acoustics aren't bad at all. The CD-140 and the "Sonoran", are both solid topped. The CD-140 runs about $300.00, The Sonoran about $400.00. (So that's likely out of the question.

The fact remains, you most likely won't find a decent solid top AE guitar until you hit $300.00. The Yamaha FGX-700's day to day selling price is $299.95. It's the electric version of the FG-700.

Best way to figure any of this out though, is go out and listen to whichever guitars you can.

EDIT: OK the Ebay link led to a used setup, and alleged that the sale was over. The guitar/amp were listed as used.

As a personal choice, I'd rather buy a guitar, and grab an amp sometime in the future. But that's just me.

"Value pack", or "starter pack" sets, are all too frequently disappointing. Maybe someone else here has some ideas.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 21, 2014,
Thats the problem. I have read in many places that I cant use an electric acoustic with my regular electric guitar amp, so I figured would be better off buying a value pack. The only problem is that those packages are meant for beginners (I have been playing electric and regular acoustic for a few years) and are not made to last. If I was, however able to use the AE guitar with my electric amp, I would be able to afford a better quality guitar now.
Quote by ygmantell
Thats the problem. I have read in many places that I cant use an electric acoustic with my regular electric guitar amp, so I figured would be better off buying a value pack. The only problem is that those packages are meant for beginners (I have been playing electric and regular acoustic for a few years) and are not made to last. If I was, however able to use the AE guitar with my electric amp, I would be able to afford a better quality guitar now.
You know, I have a couple of the smallest Peavey Vypers, and they work fine with acoustic. That said, I bought a Peavey "eCoustic 208" as well. That's not perfect either.

When you're dealing with an AE guitar into an electric amp, you need to use the clean channel, and keep the pre-gain low. It will work just fine. That is unless you've got a "Dime Bag Atomic Gain Monster Blaster", or some similar distortion generator, which doesn't turn down, then all bets are off.

With the Vyper, I use the clean channels of Fender amp models most often.

Allegedly, acoustic amps have more high frequency potential, "for the overtones".

And with that said, trust me, an under saddle piezo pickup has more high end than most of us can stand anyway.
I have a fender frontman 15 g (came in a value pack!) and thats what I use for both my electric guitars. I normally use it on the distortion channel, but your saying if I put it on the clean channel with the gain down it will work. Correct?
Quote by ygmantell
I have a fender frontman 15 g (came in a value pack!) and thats what I use for both my electric guitars. I normally use it on the distortion channel, but your saying if I put it on the clean channel with the gain down it will work. Correct?
Yes. I can't see where it shouldn't sound better than that 5 watt Peavey you showed me in that link.

Don't you have friends with AE guitars? Best thing to do would be to plug an acoustic electric into the amp, twiddle the knobs for a while, and see what kind of sounds can happen. But, clean channel, low gain setting will likely work out the best, or most acoustic type of sound.
Quote by ygmantell
Unfortunately none of my friends have AE guitars.
Let me take one more shot at explaining the amp situation to you. These amps in the starter packs, aren't what one might call, "true acoustic amps. True acoustic amps have 5 band EQ, 10" or 12" speakers, tweeters, and a mixing board for your mics, so you can use it as a PA.

What is being sold in these acoustic starter packs, is the same shit you already have, WITHOUT THE OVERDRIVE CHANNEL. And who the heck knows, they may have a drive channel, if they think they can sell it as a feature.

Fender always has one of the better clean channels going, as plenty of guys like to plug into them, and make big country twang with their telecasters.

As far as the Takamine "Jasmine" series, they have a decent reputation, not the best, but far from the worst.
yeah, captaincranky has it right - the starter packs are not the way to go. Unless you have a really bad guitar amp, you should be able to get a fairly clean sound out of it to use for an a/e guitar.
For $200 you won't get much in the way of a new guitar, though - shop around for a used one.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
As a beginner myself my first half decent guitar is a crafter fx550eq I paid I paid 130 British pounds .....which I believe is roughly $200 at today's exchange rate granted I believe in got a massive bargain as this thing is like new but man is she sweet.

I'd recommend in fact I likenthebbrand so much I got1 me a crafter lite t/cd for travelling with and am equally impressed at this for a budget acoustic .... they ship with D' addition strings I think mediums.... found them a bit harsh on my soft little hands so changed them for extra light D'addition strings as the guitars are used and needs a change they both sound amazingly.
I was also looking at resonator guitars. Is that the same deal with the amp? Or do I have to Get an acoustic amp.