So I've been playing forever, but always use standard tuning or occasionally drop D.
I really like a lot of newer stuff(hard rock, metal) that's either played using drop tuning or a 7 string. I'm not quite ready to commit to buying a 7 string, but I'd like to have a guitar in, say, drop C to play around with.

Is drop C a good place to start? I know a lot of newer bands use it, just from glancing at tabs. If I do decide to go drop C, what gauge strings would you guys recommend?
I normally use 10s but I've had 11s on my Les Paul for a year now.

I'm not necessarily looking to cover a bunch of stuff, so particular bands aren't that important to me. But it wouldn't hurt to use what's most common if I decide to learn some covers. It would mostly be hard rock/metal if I did.

Advice?
Thanks.
I should add that I don't want the strings to feel floppy. I like the tight feeling of 10s and 11s in standard tuning if that helps.
I play in Drop C and Drop B most the time, I use Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's which are .11-.54 and they work well on my Vintage V100 Les Paul
For Drop C, I use Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms. Tight bottom strings but quite "bendy" on the higher strings. Perfect for me.

Maybe some Not Even Slinky's? Considering you like the feel of standard tuning with 11s
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
I use Dunlop Heavy Core heaviest gauge 12-54 for Drop C. I tried 4 differents sets before deciding to keep them. 11-50 is a good starting point for someone who is not used to using heavier gauge strings. Buy a couple of sets and test them out.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
I like to have my guitar in standard tuning, and a spare one in drop d. Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts 10-46. I think these strings are amazing if you like to play metal. Feels good and sounds nice in both standard and drop d. I refuse to use any other kind. My neighbor was crying about his fingers hurting from it but we are supposed to be men lol.
Quote by pantallica87
I use Dunlop Heavy Core heaviest gauge 12-54 for Drop C. I tried 4 differents sets before deciding to keep them. 11-50 is a good starting point for someone who is not used to using heavier gauge strings. Buy a couple of sets and test them out.

Honestly, this is what I would use (especially if you're not used to heavier strings). I tune my guitar to D standard and use 12-54. I tend to prefer heavier strings, but 12-54 would be good for Drop C.

Anyway, the advantage of Dunlop Heavy Core over many other strings is that they are designed for lower tunings. They have a thicker core, which means you get more mid-range punch and more audible attack to them. So, you will have a better tone for hard rock and metal.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/heavy-core-guitar-strings
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 22, 2014,
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm going to drop my Charvel. It's longer scale than the Les Paul so it seems to me it would handle the drop tuning better.

I think I'll try the 12-54s probably since I'm used to 11s at standard tuning. I might see if any of the guitars at Guitar Center have this gauge on them just to see what they feel like. Although I'm guessing none will.
Quote by Carl21221
For Drop C, I use Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms. Tight bottom strings but quite "bendy" on the higher strings. Perfect for me.

Maybe some Not Even Slinky's? Considering you like the feel of standard tuning with 11s

Exactly this. I play in D Standard and Drop C, and use Skinny top heavy bottoms for the same reason.
I ended up going with Ernie Ball 12-56 Not Even Slinkys. I went with my '87 Charvel and after tweaking the neck, intonation, bridge height, and slight nut slot widening(for the .56 in the low slot) it feels and sounds great!
Now I have a new tool/tuning to inspire a new and different style of play.
Thanks again for all your input.