Page 1 of 2
I have a tube amp and i wanted a boss metalzone pedal, adding this pedal will my amp still have the tube like feel?
What amp do you have?

Why do you want the Metalzone? What tone are you trying to get?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You can keep your questions in one thread.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
if you want to retain the "tube like" feel, you'll probably prefer an overdrive pedal. the metalzone is a bit harsh sounding. thats not a bad thing of course, it has its uses.
banned
The metal zone doesn't sound good. I have one and after years and years, I've not been able to get somewhat decent yet disappointing tones out of it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i only liked my metal zone when i was playing through a little Roland Cube 15. once i upgraded my amp, the pedal didn't add anything good to the sound anymore.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
The metalzone is my least favorite distortion pedal after owning countless over the years. That and the Ds-1. But they each have their uses.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Can't say I've ever heard a MetalZone sound good, regardless of being the main source of dirt or a boost. It's instant bees-in-a-can no matter what you're running it through.
I wouldn't waste the money on the metal zone. I owned one, used it all throughout my early days of playing. I didn't realize how bad it was until I bought an overdrive pedal. If you are just going for a heavier sound, and the distortion on your amp isn't enough for you, I would go with an overdrive pedal to push the amp's distortion. Buying a Keeley ts-9 was the best purchase I ever made.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
which amp do you have?
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
grab a bad monkey on the cheap and try to boost it. but it doesnt seem like it would be greta for high gain tones.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I do have a tube screamer on the way, plus im getting a 10 band, i do need to do some tone shaping
ohh okay.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have one and I really like it. I guess those who say that's a bad pedal didn't find the right set up or they were looking for a different sound. I mostly play metalcore and it fits really well. I also have a friend that plays guitar in a folk metal band and uses a Metalzone for his gigs, he's also very satisfied.
are your ears broken?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
are your ears broken?

be respectful of other's tastes, this pedal has it uses like i said earlier.
banned
Hardwire TL-2>Metal Zone. Same design, but the TL-2 sounds less digital. It's also cheaper.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
the last 'tolerable' boss Distortion pedal IMO was the HM-2. i have one, but it still doesn't get that much, unless i feel like play stoner metal.

but the metal zone isn't that great. it may sound good to you if you are a newer player your ear will develop your sense of tone, and i have a feeling after a while you will realize how bad they area. happens to most players.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Some people use the metalzone as a boost as an actual distortion its ironicly terrible for metal. If you want a dirt pedal on the relitive cheap for metal run a freaking turbo rat or a mooer black secret.
also what amp are you using ts you might be served better with an od or eq pedal.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jul 22, 2014,
Quote by losing battle
Some people use the metalzone as a boost as an actual distortion its ironicly terrible for metal. If you want a dirt pedal on the relitive cheap for metal run a freaking turbo rat or a mooer black secret.
also what amp are you using ts you might be served better with an od or eq pedal.

+1 on rat
+1 on EQ.

i have tried to boost with an HM-2 and i still don't like what i get (as a boost). i would tend to think that the MZ wouldn't do any better.

but everybody has opinions and different ears. YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the last 'tolerable' boss Distortion pedal IMO was the HM-2. i have one, but it still doesn't get that much, unless i feel like play stoner metal.

but the metal zone isn't that great. it may sound good to you if you are a newer player your ear will develop your sense of tone, and i have a feeling after a while you will realize how bad they area. happens to most players.

I've never thought about it but Boss does have some pretty horrible distortion pedals, imo. But they build pedals so well, its a shame they don't have a better r&d team. Most of their newer single fx pedals are pretty bland.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I've never thought about it but Boss does have some pretty horrible distortion pedals, imo. But they build pedals so well, its a shame they don't have a better r&d team. Most of their newer single fx pedals are pretty bland.

They just brought back the dm-2 so boss is starting to get it, the terra echo was an ok attempt to cash in on the ambient crowd but they failed to realize the modulation sounds awful
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by lucky1978

there are very few (if any) boss pedals made in the last decade i would use. two decades? maybe, i forget what years differet things changed. but the 80's MIJ ones can be great. especially some of the modulation effects. and really the HM2 is stomachable, HM3's were a little falloff but not terrible.

nothing like the metal core, metalzone, etc.

digitech is winning the race IMO (in the same category). most of the hardwire pedals are pretty decent, i haven't played with all of them though. and even the bad monkey, how can boss not make an OD based on TS's for dirt cheap?

IMO if budget pedal shopping look at voodoo lab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by jamesdolecek
I do have a tube screamer on the way, plus im getting a 10 band, i do need to do some tone shaping

if you can thole i'd wait until you get them, in case they do what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
big muff is always a fun one to own.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by JelloCrust
Boss pedals are kind of obnoxious. . . get something better.

This. Boss distortions are outdated technology. They all sound like fuzz boxes trying to be tube distortion and failing hard.

Boss isn't the only pedal company out there.
Wampler Triple Wreck, Hardwire TL-2, Metal Muff. They're all better than a freaking metalzone.

The only pedals that are distortion from boss I can honestly say are ok is the power stack, and maybe the metalcore pedal, but even the later is poor compared to the other pedals I've mentioned.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I stand by my previous turbo rat recomendation. Assuming you have a good clean, if not buy a freakijg tubescreamer, there is zero point in running a distortion into a bad clean channel :cough: 6505 :cough:
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by losing battle
I stand by my previous turbo rat recomendation. Assuming you have a good clean, if not buy a freakijg tubescreamer, there is zero point in running a distortion into a bad clean channel :cough: 6505 :cough:

Really? If someone had a 6505 why the FASUIDD would you even bother with a distortion box?

You don't spend 2k on a tube amp known for it's distortion and go "DURRR IMMA BUY A METALZONE FOR MY TONEZZZ"

People actually do this?

If they did need to improve their town on an amp like that they would get a tube screamer to push it, but not a distortion pedal for the main distortion.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
There ARE pros who use Boss pedals. Not the dirtboxes, AFAIK, but Boss nonetheless.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There ARE pros who use Boss pedals. Not the dirtboxes, AFAIK, but Boss nonetheless.

I know, they have decent effects, but their distortions are laughable IN MY OPINION. I just don't get how there's people that are picky about high quality distortion and amp simulation and yet people use boss equipment that sounds really dated.

Some of their distortion are good, the DS-1, the HM-2 (and even that was discontinued) but a lot, if not most, of their pedals are trying to recreate a sound, and sound nothing like it.

Some of them are amazing for unique sounds, but the metalzone is supposed to be in place of a monstrous modern tube amp? No way dude.
Maybe if you use it with an amp that takes it really well you can get something usable, but that's it. At that point, why get it though?

They need to fire all the people that program that COSM stuff, and do some stuff in their R&D departments. All the other companies did, even when they knew that people already enjoyed their previous distortions and all, but they knew they could improve it when technology paved the way, so why can't they?

I just don't see the justification of spending 100 dollars on something that sounds like old technology.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Last edited by Clay-man at Jul 24, 2014,
lol. The HM-2 hype is so real.

I own an HM-2. I don't own it because it actually sounds good, I own it because it has historical significance, and it was so monumentally instrumental in an entire genre wave that I happen to find inspiration in.

Getting more into it, My favorite band recreating that sound and feeling is Bloodbath, and even they have moved way on from the HM-2, to now using all kinds of amps, notably 6505s and Rectifiers blended with other stuff. And their modern sound (The Fathomless Mastery/Unblesing the Purity tone) is just so much better than that old HM-2 (Resurrection Through Carnage) tone, it's ridiculous. I respect the old tone for what it is and what it was, but at the end of the day you have to step back and look at it.

And I would say the same for their other FX used during the same time. DS-1 or SD-1, or whatever. Bands back then had to use what was available to them. And if that is the sound you're trying to get, then that's fine and easy.

But just using their dirt boxes standalone for your own sound? Nah.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by trashedlostfdup
....how can boss not make an OD based on TS's for dirt cheap?

IMO if budget pedal shopping look at voodoo lab.

Ummm! The Boss SD-1!!!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

loads of people have used the sd1 i think. zakk wylde for a start. rumours (I think) about EVH maybe using it too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They need to fire all the people that program that COSM stuff,

Hey! I like my RT-20!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
loads of people have used the sd1 i think. zakk wylde for a start. rumours (I think) about EVH maybe using it too.

Overdrives don't count. Their overdrives I will admit is really good, their distortions on the other hand are garbage. The only ones I like are the DS-1 and HM-2 which I both own.

Others sound thin, fizzy, and scooped.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hey! I like my RT-20!

Sorry, I meant minus 80% of the effects-based COSM stuff.

Like I said, they have great effects. The tape echo thing is amazing as well.

Those are effects though, which don't need to emulate charactersistics that getting distortion of an amp does.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Last edited by Clay-man at Jul 24, 2014,
Quote by Clay-man
Overdrives don't count. Their overdrives I will admit is really good, their distortions on the other hand are garbage. The only ones I like are the DS-1 and HM-2 which I both own.

Others sound thin, fizzy, and scooped.

ah ok, yeah. I haven't tried the hm2 but I would tend to agree. the ODs are pretty good, the dists (apart from maybe the ds1 which is good for certain specific things) not so much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2