How often do you change your strings and how do you know it's time to get new ones? I would also like to know what kind of strings I should use (standard strings)?
thank you
I change my strings once a month. It's really all up to you and the life of your strings. I use Elixir and even though they claim to last really long, I still change them as often as I would a pack of D'Addario, Ernie Ball, etc.

And the type of strings you should use depend on the type of guitar(s) you have and how you want it (or them) to sound.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 21, 2014,
it depends what guitar. unless i break one that i don't have an extra of, i have gone through enough strings that i can probably find anything in a partial that would be fine.

but probably 6-8 months. my sweat isn't very acidic and never get sweaty. so i can go that long.

some people do it weekly/monthly or whatever. you do what works for you. and also (personal preference) don't like the bright new string sound.

and i use D'addario nickel blues .11-.49 on E std
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Once a month, because I play every day.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Thank you! I'll ask the person at the storr what type of string would be best. They can probably help me to find the apropriate strings for my guitars!
Quote by LivinJoke84
No where near as often as i should.

+1

as rarely as i can get away with, basically

if you live in a really humid area, or have killer sweat or whatever, then you might have to change them really often. but if you don't, it's probably just fine (don't quote me on that ) to change them when you need to, I don't think you need to have it set in stone or anything like that.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I change them when one breaks. Which is about every 3 months, considering I used to use stainless steel picks, but I just switched to the Dunlop carbon Jazz IIIs. So I'll see how long they last now. Ideally you should change them every 2-4 weeks depending how much you play, and that's more so you can clean the guitar with all the strings off. The strings can stay on as long as you want if you like the sounds of worn strings.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I change them when they need it. Sometimes a pack of strings is only good for a few weeks. Other times they just won’t die—I have one guitar with year-old strings that play and sound fine. Whatever works.
It's pretty easy to tell when it's time to change strings. Just use your ear. Do they sound as good as they did whenever you put them on? If the answer is yes or almost, then you should be good to go for a little bit longer.

As far as what kind/brand of strings to use... They are all made by the same people. Dean Markley strings are the same as GHS strings, just a different package. I work in a guitar/piano string factory and it blew my mind how I "thought" this brand was better than that brand. It's all in your head.

Which gauge of string you use depends on what style of music you play. For beginners I recommend starting with a heavier gauge string first while you work on building finger strength.
Quote by jpnyc
I change them when they need it. Sometimes a pack of strings is only good for a few weeks. Other times they just won’t die—I have one guitar with year-old strings that play and sound fine. Whatever works.

+1. I’ve had the same strings on my Corsair since January 2012 and they’re still stretchy and bright. They must have been stolen from the Wonka factory or something.
Depends on how acidic your hands are and how clean you keep the strings.

I have acid hands, so I have Elixirs, and that lasted like 2-3 months before it went dead.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Personally, I change them only when they start feeling mucky and begin going out of tune more frequently. Which is about every 5-6 months. I don't have sweaty arms, and I try to play mostly with clean hands (it does matter, I've been a dj in my teens, handling vinyl after chicken nuggets? Bad friggin idea!). I find it bothersome to restring and re-intonate the thing anyway, I love playing it, not fiddling with it...
I rediscovered D'addarios recently, cheaper than Ernie Ballsacks, and they last about as long, I've actually documented the dates of string changes. I suggest you guys do too, you might be very surprised!
Last edited by Pandorum at Aug 31, 2014,
I go by intonation. Every time I change strings, I check/set the intonation. As soon as there is a noticeable drift, I toss them away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 31, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I go buy intonation. Every time I change strings, I check/set the intonation. As soon as there is a noticeable drift, I toss them away.

Hmm, maybe that's why the intonation on the last frets on my skinny E are shit now.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Well, it's all about uniform string density. Once the strings wear they are no longer uniform along their length. Think about it in extremis. If the string was heavier above the 12th fret than below it, what would that do to intonation? Pretty obvious when you think about it that way, huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well, it's all about uniform string density. Once the strings wear they are no longer uniform along their length. Think about it in extremis. If the string was heavier above the 12th fret than below it, what would that do to intonation? Pretty obvious when you think about it that way, huh?

Thank's Cath. It's been killing me why the last few frets are way too sharp. I think I actually knew this before, but I forgot for some reason. I've had Elixirs on for like 5-6 months now, and there's FINALLY rust on the plain strings, like in a few spots on frets, but this set is definitely dead.

Beat the shit out of the wound strings so a lot of the coating shredded off, and the harmonic response it had for months finally is gone. I think it's time to change these.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
i am the worst offense with some. i have purchased guitars used and still haven't restrung. two, three years?

if i am gigging i will likely restring more often.

if not as long as i can go (IIRC dave said that ^)

but again i have a lot of guitars and would go broke restring 20-22 guitars. not to mention the time, they all don't see much usage. i use about five different guitars and just try to keep them up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
I happen to be allergic to uncoated strings... My palm gets REALLY itchy hives so I have been using elixr's, which sound and feel terrible to me when they are fresh but they last a few weeks. I'm very impatient with uncoated and don't get more than 15 hours of play time before they aren't usable any more, not that I use them much due to the aforementioned reason.
Last edited by JGM258 at Sep 2, 2014,
Quote by JGM258
I happen to be allergic to uncoated strings... My palm gets REALLY itchy hives so I have been using elixr's, which sound and feel terrible to me when they are fresh but they last a few weeks. I'm very impatient with uncoated and don't get more than 15 hours of play time before they aren't usable any more, not that I use them much due to the aforementioned reason.

that sucks. i take interest with that because i interned with a doctor (changed majors, BA Econ, MBA) so no med for quite a while. but...

if there were to be a metal implant, he would take a piece of that metal (like a coin,but just a piece of than metal) and tape it to the patient. he would check them and make sure nothing reacted preventing any issues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
What are you allergic to? Iron, Nickel?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What are you allergic to? Iron, Nickel?

that is what i am getting to. if he realizes he is allegric to nickel, they use quite a few other metals, i think some might be steel or stainless or probably a few other combinations
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
I'm guessing its iron that I have a skin allergy to. I remember belts used to be a big problem if the metal came in contact with my lower torso (same type of rash). I don't have a clue what belts are made of but iron seems more likely than nickel. The coating on my strings right now is wearing off near the bridge and I got super itchy yesterday but not today, but it has been a continuous problem.

I'm really weird as far as allergies go, for instance shower water (and lake or sea water) makes me itchy and wherever I scratch gets super red and blotchy... Then there is lactose, dust, acidic fruits, cats and dogs, the list goes on...