I'm looking for a new amp head, but I don't know which one of the two to choose.
I'm looking for an amp that can achieve a tone similar to the bands Project 86, Machine Head, Linkin park, and In Flames. I take that Project 86 statement seriously because out of all the bands listed I like their tone the best, I want to be able to achieve a sound similar to all of their albums (well except rival factions ill need some sort of fuzz pedal for that) but be able to achieve a tone similar to the other bands listed as well. So out of those two amps what do you think is best for those bands (mainly Project 86 though), I've heard demos from both but I just don't know.
used peavey JSX or 6505+ they don't start on fire, and will last a lot longer. and be much more reliable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Listened to Project 86 a bit, and the sound I hear is a Mesa Recto. Strictly between those two, I'd guess you'd be happier with a 6260. However, I would say to not get a Bugera, they are known to have lots of reliability issues. If you were to get a Bugera, you should get a TriRec anyway. What's your budget? You can get a used Peavey 5150 or 6505 at a reasonable price. If you don't know, the 6260 is a Peavey 5150/6505 clone and the 333xl is a Peavey JSX clone.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Look for comparisons between peavey JSX and peavey 5150/6505 because they are what those Bugeras are copying. 6260 has a better, meaner distortion channel but thats about all it can offer. 333xl is much more versatile. Good distortion, good crunch and good cleans.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Did some digging. Mesa.

If your budget allows...

Otherwise, any 5150/6505 variant.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^ I'm proud of my ears

EDIT TO AVOID POSTING THREE TIMES ALREADY:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MESSA-BOOGIE-RECTO-VERB-50-TUBE-AMP-109388508-i3328353.gc

Is this affordable OP? Do you live in the states?
Last edited by tas38 at Jul 22, 2014,
Quote by tas38
^ I'm proud of my ears

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
My budget is around $600 for the Head, bugeras don't really blow up or fail all that often anymore, their quality control improved. Project 86s former guitarist Randy Torres if i recall used a Marshall head but i don't know what cab, I cant afford a good Marshall anyway and I believe the knew guitarist uses Blackstar and Orange and well I cant afford that. I personally don't like buying used electronics I have had bad experiences in the past, I can only imagine what would happen if i bought an amp used (I have the worst luck). But I am leaning towards the 333xl because I think it can do Project 86 better but for the other three bands i just don't know how well it would do, because I know Jesper Strömblad and Robb Flynn use 5150/6505 which in my case would be the 6260/6262.
Well I was wrong, whoops and well i was planning on getting an amp for Christmas but thanks anyway.
Bands can use literally hundreds of amplifiers throughout their careers. It's impossible to pin their sound to one specific amp and be done with it. I wouldn't say you were wrong.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505112C $599.99
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
But i could possibly get a bugera trirec for Christmas isn't that a clone of Mesa trirec?
Quote by mrmondodude
My budget is around $600 for the Head, bugeras don't really blow up or fail all that often anymore, their quality control improved. Project 86s former guitarist Randy Torres if i recall used a Marshall head but i don't know what cab, I cant afford a good Marshall anyway and I believe the knew guitarist uses Blackstar and Orange and well I cant afford that. I personally don't like buying used electronics I have had bad experiences in the past, I can only imagine what would happen if i bought an amp used (I have the worst luck). But I am leaning towards the 333xl because I think it can do Project 86 better but for the other three bands i just don't know how well it would do, because I know Jesper Strömblad and Robb Flynn use 5150/6505 which in my case would be the 6260/6262.

i can pick up a 6505+ head any day down here for around $600. bugera still have issues. i don't need echo others, but the peavey will out live and have better resale value down the road.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can get used 6505's and JSX's for $600. Hell, you can get the 6505 for $400 if your patient.
Well i wont look at anything used until its closer to Christmas because I have a chance of getting a new amp then, but I will look around once its near Christmas, anyway thanks for the help I am going to bed it is 5 am here.
Quote by mrmondodude
But i could possibly get a bugera trirec for Christmas isn't that a clone of Mesa trirec?

You could also get a Mesa Single Rectifier for not too much more than $600. From what I understand, they're tonally almost identical to the Triple Rectifiers, just lower wattage and a few less features.

I think what we're trying to say here is (Or at least I am) is that buying a Bugera doesn't save you all that much money. If you could get a Bugera TriRec for $200, then I'd probably say screw it, take a chance. But that isn't the case, you're making a big gamble without a whole lot of upside. There's Single Rectos on ebay right now for under $700 and with that in mind, I'm sure you could get close to $600 with some scouring and patience. The cheapest TriRec on GuitarCenter right now is $500. On ebay, $550.
This is disappointing. I thought I was going to see a fireman competition. "Each team gets a different Bugera to extinguish - GO!!"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Having actually owned a JSX and a 6505 in the past, I can tell you that the JSX is way closer to a Rectifier than a 6505 is.

The Bugeras sound pretty much exactly the same as the Peaveys. The Bugeras are also about half the price. Now sit for a minute and think about how that's possible.

Hint: It's cheap labor that doesn't give the steam off shit about QC.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well i am going to take your advice and hopefully get a Mesa Single rectifier in a couple of months along with the Mesa rectifier cab, Thanks for all of the help!
Quote by tas38
You could also get a Mesa Single Rectifier for not too much more than $600. From what I understand, they're tonally almost identical to the Triple Rectifiers, just lower wattage and a few less features.

I think what we're trying to say here is (Or at least I am) is that buying a Bugera doesn't save you all that much money. If you could get a Bugera TriRec for $200, then I'd probably say screw it, take a chance. But that isn't the case, you're making a big gamble without a whole lot of upside. There's Single Rectos on ebay right now for under $700 and with that in mind, I'm sure you could get close to $600 with some scouring and patience. The cheapest TriRec on GuitarCenter right now is $500. On ebay, $550.

+1

I got my Single Rec RectoVerb head for $490

Has a great clean channel to boot.
If you are buying a Mesa Boogie or a Peavey 6505, even secondhand, they are more of an investment rather than a risk...they last and are easy to flip if you decide that you want a different sound. Now there are plenty of cheap things that are more likely to fail if purchased secondhand, but amps like that are neither cheap, nor prone to failure and are still less likely to fail than a brand new Bugera. There's a reason my local shop stopped carrying them.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Don't make me post gut shots of my Recto. Quality abounds.

recording yet?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If the recto is the sound you're chasing, get a Single used. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but they are tanks. Bugeras may not catch on fire anymore, but they're winning no awards for reliability.

Mesa however...they make tanks. You can beat the shit of them, and they still work. For the same money, and a little patience to find one....go Mesa.