Page 1 of 5
2 men were on a train, passing through a run down area. One man said to the other, "Why do you suppose poor areas are riddled with this vandalism?"

The other man replied "Because they are scared they won't be heard"

Discuss
Some graffiti is cool.

I'm not against it or anything.
My God, it's full of stars!
most of the graffiti i see in my area is just the word "ANUS" on some signs for different developments

hardly bastions of creativity, those guys
Graffiti is good if it's not some chav with a pen writing "jimbo woz ere"

There's a tunnel near my old college that had some great art.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Graffiti is good if it's not some chav with a pen writing "jimbo woz ere"

There's a tunnel near my old college that had some great art.
tbf i think the urge to let anyone know you're here and you have a name is pretty sombre and highlights something quite important
Quote by willT08
tbf i think the urge to let anyone know you're here and you have a name is pretty sombre and highlights something quite important

of course you do
My God, it's full of stars!
Street art is a way to say FUCK YOU, THE MAN to whatever degree you want.

Sometimes you steal chocolatefrom the convenience store, or write 'BUTTLYFE' on a train car.

Sometimes you put beautiful things on places that admonish beauty, like an oppressively boring facade, or a building that's now vacant from the mass class struggle and economic loss it's undergone.

Sometimes the Man tells you that art is only what dead old pedophile white monks centuries ago and you will never get there and people would rather pay hundreds of dollars for a nice fake print of a Rembrandt for a poster than $5 for real art that an artist created in front of you or at a time of anguish or at a time of joy.
So the artist says 'fuck you man, I don't care if you buy it, I just want you to see it... I just need you to see me... it has to be possible... it is possible...'

and it is

Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Jul 22, 2014,
Quote by Dreadnought
of course you do

you know you love it dear

you're a big softie too
Most graffiti near here is "tyler boi fukd ur mum m8 420 blaze it" shit.

Some graffiti can be good.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I agree with the other man.

I like good graffiti art. Even when it's not 'quality' though, there are some somber implications as Will stated.

In an ideal world people would make graffiti art not just because they feel the need to be heard. I've heard of people allowing graffiti on their property but the city tells them to remove it because it encourages vandalism. :/
Graffiti is awesome when it tries to send a public message.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by soundgarden1986
most of the graffiti i see in my area is just the word "ANUS" on some signs for different developments

hardly bastions of creativity, those guys

lol, this

the train station down the road from my house just has "poop" written all over it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
^^

The shading of that skull on the last image is amazing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
i think it must be evaluated on a case by case basis. sometimes i don't like it because it's unwarranted drawings, potentially on privately owned property, that might be really ugly.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
There's a wall in Boston somewhere where you can pay to get like a month or something, so all the best artists 'rent' it, then tag it with their own stuff. Really cool.

The best graffiti I've seen though was when I was in Israel, and we went to the West Bank to Bethlehem.

There are some really sobering ones that I remember, that I can't find. But yeah, it was really eye opening for me. I think I was fourteen when I went on the trip, and it was my first time being in a part of the world where they were in that constant state of agitated fear.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by willT08

Yep, A manifestation of an inferiority complex..
Quote by jugglingfreak
Yep, A manifestation of an inferiority complex..

I feel like you meant this as a dig
Quote by willT08
I feel like you meant this as a dig

Nope, as a statement of fact. Inferiority complex often drives people to attention seeking behavior. Graffiti is an attention seeking behavior no matter how you look at it.
Quote by jugglingfreak
Nope, as a statement of fact. Inferiority complex often drives people to attention seeking behavior. Graffiti is an attention seeking behavior no matter how you look at it.

yeah i think i said that in the op

why is attention seeking behaviour bad? 'cause you seem quite annoyed for some reason aha
^^ yeah... no

Quote by willT08
2 men were on a train, passing through a run down area. One man said to the other, "Why do you suppose poor areas are riddled with this vandalism?"

The other man replied "Because they are scared they won't be heard"

Discuss

I feel like this isn't nearly as deep as it might seem.

ofc graffiti mainly happens in run down areas.. there's a lot of reasons for that.
but yes, representing your social background and trying to "raise awareness" is an important factor imo.
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by CrazyMatt

I feel like this isn't nearly as deep as it might seem.

Well the thread's called "On ___"

i thought the jokey pomposity had been established
^

well i guess that was too subtle for me.

but it's an interesting topic.
Quote by Telecaster7
Quote by willT08
yeah i think i said that in the op

why is attention seeking behaviour bad? 'cause you seem quite annoyed for some reason aha

Because in the case of graffiti their attention seeking comes at the price of defacing someone else's property.

Before anyone tries the "some of it is artistic". That argument is irrelevant because it was done without the property owner's consent. Also "artistic beauty" is subjective. Just because you might think it's good doesn't mean the property owner does or even if the property owner does think it's good, it doesn't mean he wants it on his property.

If a property owner wanted it painted and allowed them to, that's fine. It also wouldn't be graffiti anymore..
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jul 22, 2014,
yeah but "oh isn't it bad that they do it on walls" is like the most boring chat we could have

i mean we could talk about feelings of social abandonment or disillusionment and how graffiti's place on property links with a communistic view and the poor's long standing affiliation with the left and stuff

i mean that's dull as well really but yano
Quote by jugglingfreak
Because in the case of graffiti their attention seeking comes at the price of defacing someone else's property.

Before anyone tries the "some of it is artistic". That argument is irrelevant because it was done without the property owner's consent. Also "artistic beauty" is subjective. Just because you might think it's good doesn't mean the property owner does or even if the property owner does think it's good, it doesn't mean he wants it on his property.

If a property owner wanted it painted and allowed them to, that's fine. It also wouldn't be graffiti anymore..

you're stretching the "attention-seeking" term a bit far don't ya think?

graffiti is hardly about "personal" attention.

imo it's got a lot more to do with that stuff
Quote by willT08
social abandonment or disillusionment and how graffiti's place on property links with a communistic view and the poor's long standing affiliation with the left

and the good/bad aspects of the whole issue can't really be generally classified as either good/bad
Quote by Telecaster7
Quote by CrazyMatt
you're stretching the "attention-seeking" term a bit far don't ya think?

No

graffiti is hardly about "personal" attention.

It is about personal attention.

imo it's got a lot more to do with that stuff

"social abandonment or disillusionment" are personal issues.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^^

The shading of that skull on the last image is amazing.

Agreed! I thought it might have been shooped in, but if so whomever did it is still pretty talented so it's a win either way.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jugglingfreak
No

It is about personal attention.
well that's just saying things dear

"social abandonment or disillusionment" are personal issues.

not always

there's obviously loads and loads of times where whole sections of society have felt it together
Quote by jugglingfreak

Someone graffiti'd the statue of liberty ****ing you in the ass didn't they?
Quote by willT08
well that's just saying things dear

They do it for attention. Positive or negative attention, it makes no difference. Just like a petulant child.

not always

there's obviously loads and loads of times where whole sections of society have felt it together

Did the entire section of society all walk down and paint it together or all collectively ask someone to do it?

Other wise, it's irrelevant. It makes no difference if other people "agree with the message". One person acted out for attention.

Also, why does graffiti tend to be in poorer neighborhoods? Because they can't afford to have it removed. It doesn't mean they accept it or promote it. If they had the money to remove it, they would.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jul 22, 2014,
Page 1 of 5