I'm a beginner and had stop playing for a while, so I still haven't developped good calluses. I want to play more but it hurts and I can't hold my chords. I was wondering if you have any tips to get calluses faster or make your fingers hurt less?
I don't think there any shortcuts for this. If I recall, you get some pain at first, after playing for a while, you will liekly develop blisters as well, if you do it enough.

The ideal is to have small blisters, which will not pop because the skin is still pretty thick. The beginning of a blister. then let it heal. You get rookie calluses relatively quickly after that, a few days. Then once you get that, they will just get better and you can play longer, and there is no pain to go through anymore.
Either wait or play through it as long as you don't play until you bleed (there are some players who keep playing on though). For me, when I just started or haven't play in a while, I'll be able to play for hours. Then I put it down for 10 minutes and I pick it up again and I can't even slide a note. Just rest for a day or two if your fingers hurt too much to ignore. Eventually you'll get used to it and can play as long as you want.
I work at a restaurant and when I was new I stuck my hand onto the flat top grill. Not really a recommendation. But it sped things up. Also, it was a fortunate accident, not intentional.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
Either wait or play through it as long as you don't play until you bleed. I'll be able to play for hours. Then I put it down for 10 minutes and I pick it up again and I can't even slide a note. Just rest for a day or two if your fingers hurt too much to ignore. Eventually you'll get used to it and can play as long as you want.

I actually bled a few times by practicing, like this morning, I cut my index on the strings trying to practice barre chords... I can handle pain while I'm playing but after it hurts a lot because I don't realize that my fingers are getting sore. Maybe I should try to watch how much I play.. Maybe take a 10 minutes break from time to time.

Quote by Victorgeiger
There is a good article that I wrote about it here.

http://guitargraph.com/guitar-sore-fingers/

Thank you, I'll look it up!
It sounds to me like you should try a set of lighter strings and see how you like that.