I've just discovered this video of a guy covering the whole Leviathan album on piano in one take. It's insane, sounds so haunting kinda like Beethoven. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h85KV5e6t-E

It amazes me how well it flows, Seabeast is especially awesome imo. Shows that Mastodon's compositions are just master musical pieces. I don't know many rock bands whose music could sound so well on piano or another classical instrument.
Just when I thought that I couldn't enjoy listening to Mastodon songs any less!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This is amazing. Thanks for posting it. Might be better in the Mastodon thread though, rather than creating a new one.
He's copying the songs note for note from the guitar to piano. This is nothing impressive and it most certainly does not have the compositional nuance of a composer like Beethoven's work. I've done renditions like this for Asking Alexandria, Trivium, and Bathory, and I assure you that it is nothing unique or difficult to accomplish(unless, of course, you can't play piano).
He's a good pianist playing good songs. Even if it's old, just dig it for what it is. You metal forum folks sure get rowdy quick.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
He's a good pianist playing good songs. Even if it's old, just dig it for what it is. You metal forum folks sure get rowdy quick.
This.

Why not appreciate a one-take full-album piano cover of an awesome album, instead of criticising it?
I took more offense to TS's comparison between it and the works of Beethoven and the assertion of Mastodon's compositional skill. The pianist has fair form and elegance in his playing, but the pieces themselves, at least for me, don't fit this medium.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I took more offense to TS's comparison between it and the works of Beethoven and the assertion of Mastodon's compositional skill. The pianist has fair form and elegance in his playing, but the pieces themselves, at least for me, don't fit this medium.

Maybe TS isn't as familiar with Beethoven or classical as you. I think it was just a throwaway statement, saying that he got the same vibe from this rendition of Leviathan as he does from a Beethoven song on piano.
More musical snobbery, real interesting. Some songs translate surprisingly well! Others not so much. Seriously impressive if its one take straight through.
I gotta side with the snobs on this one. Yes this version on piano sounds great.

But it's not exactly classical genius. Putting something on a classical instrument =/= classical quality. It just makes rock music played on piano which sounds good. No more.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Lol I wasn'T serious with that Beethoven thing, chill out dudes
Why am I wasting my time studying Liszt and Schubert when I could be listening to Mastodon played on the piano forte.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
The piano ' s real name is piano forte.

Piano means soft and forte means loud. The piano forte was named as such because it is able to achieve a wide variety of dynamics compared to the predecessor: the harpsichord - which has a static dynamic volume.

But none of this is important because Mastodon guy.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.