Hi guys,

I'm deeply sorry if this post sounds really generic or if you think I'm being snobby/pretentious or whatever but I just want some advice on what to do, band wise.

I'm 14 and have been playing guitar for a while, practice for multiple hours every day and basically spend all of my free time playing, researching, reading, watching, listening to music and guitar related things. In other words, it's my life (as I'm sure it is for many people here.)

One of, if not the main, incentive for learning the guitar was to be in an 'Indie' band. Yes, I know that's a hated term but I'll explain. I am inspired by bands like Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Pixies and to a lesser extent sound-wise, The Black Keys and the Smiths. I would put this across differently in real life but on the internet, it's going to be difficult to say it without sounding like a little b**ch: I like things to be done in a certain way.

I decided to try to get a band together but so far it has been unsuccessful.

1) I jammed with two other guitar playing friends, one of which has since moved abroad and the other who I will get onto.

2) My second friend agreed to be in my band as the 'alternating between lead and rhythm' guitarist and I would do vocals and also play guitar (I'm pretty shy actually but that's a different issue which I'll sort out in my own time ).

3) Nothing happened for months as we couldn't find a Bassist or Drummer and my friend seemed to become less interested in the band when I brought it up etc. whereas I was more keen to get going even if it was just me and him jamming.

4) We then 'recruited' a female Bassist but I really dislike her as a person so we agreed that she can go (we never even practiced plus we may not have told her yet... she definitely won't care as she isn't committed in the slightest and doesn't even practice bass at all.)

After this, I'm just sort of stuck what to do. My school has nobody who is interested in joining the sort of band I want to form (in fact anybody else who plays an instrument is a classical player of the clarinet or flute etc.) and it's really starting to piss me off that I can't get anywhere.

I now have a summer where I can focus on my own playing and becoming the best I can be before I hopefully join a 'Rock club' thing outside of school where you supposedly get to play with other musicians. I have also strongly encouraged the 'other member' in my 'band' to join but I don't hold high hopes.

On the bright side, I have a summer ahead to focus on my playing to to become the best I can be on guitar.

If I haven't made my concerns clear then I'll summarise:

We are in need of other members and the second guitarist doesn't seem to bothered in getting them.

I put time, effort and money into playing whereas the other guitarist doesn't. For example, I just saved up to buy a Gibson Les Paul which I finally got a few weeks back and I also sold a load of stuff to fund a gigging valve amp. On the other hand, my friend hasn't made any effort to make an advance over his first guitar (a Pacifica) and a 15w L6 Spider.

I seem to be the only person who is enthusiastic and willing to put effort in to making a good band and possibly a future career if we can get experience now.

My options are (as I see them)

Bite my tongue and wait for the other guitarist to hopefully get more involved and ask for a Strat for Xmas, join the club too. (He said he would ask for one but he now wants a gaming laptop or something).

Go alone and try to find members after doing this after school thing but meaning I am right back to square one and less likely to be able to do things my way ( I want to do vocals and play guitar in a band that has the same/very similar influences \0

Wait for other people at school to possibly gain an interest in music and hopefully they woulkd consider me as a guitarist (I'm taking Music as a GCSE next year and most people know me as a muso/ recently did work experience at Glastonbury etc.)
To make things clear, my friend has had long discussions with me before about our style (we were also going to have psychedelic sections and songs) and other subjects (we decided on the name Acid Trap) so it's not completely one sided but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Is it time to move on and find my own way and how should I go about this?

Thank you for reading and I hope I'm not sounding silly, cocky or a twat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
The guy who you jammed with ages ago, the one that you don't jam with, the one who is not committed or interested in the band, that guy is not in your band, so I am not sure why you think he is.

So don't factor that guy into your plans.

Your only issue is that you have played music with all the people you know, and it hasn't worked out. The solution is to find people you don't know to play with. Rock camp will be one way. Putting up ads to meet other musicians is the another way.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The guy who you jammed with ages ago, the one that you don't jam with, the one who is not committed or interested in the band, that guy is not in your band, so I am not sure why you think he is.

So don't factor that guy into your plans.

Your only issue is that you have played music with all the people you know, and it hasn't worked out. The solution is to find people you don't know to play with. Rock camp will be one way. Putting up ads to meet other musicians is the another way.

Sorry if I was confusing.

There was one boy who has moved away.

And one of my best friend's who doesn't seem committed who is in my band.

And thanks for the advice, I think you are right

EDIT: And I've applied for a Rock Camp type thing which starts in September which I'm waiting to hear back from

Last edited by Pacifica Ocean at Jul 22, 2014,
rock camp sounds like an idea- you could be worrying for nothing, maybe there are loads of people there who'd like to be in a band with you.

i'd also be wary of trying to coerce (that's far too strong a word, but you know what i mean) that other guy into it too much- if he's not interested, he's not interested, and there's nothing you can do. plus trying too hard to talk him into it could do more harm than good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
rock camp sounds like an idea- you could be worrying for nothing, maybe there are loads of people there who'd like to be in a band with you.

i'd also be wary of trying to coerce (that's far too strong a word, but you know what i mean) that other guy into it too much- if he's not interested, he's not interested, and there's nothing you can do. plus trying too hard to talk him into it could do more harm than good.

Again, thanks for the help. Yeah, I've applied for a rock club thing but I'm very nervous about playing in front of other people but I'm sure that I'll get over it. I have sung and played guitar in front of people before and got a good reception.

And yeah, believe me, I feel so awkward when i even bring up music around my friend anymore because I don't want to seem like a one trick pony if you know what I mean. I get the chance to jam with adults quite a lot and I actually do know a drummer but he's a lot older than me so I can at least get some experience with playing with others even if I have to wait several years to actually start a proper gigging band.

My other problem is that I feel very shy and nervous about playing in front of people at the moment and sometimes I feel sick just thinking about it but I know that everybody has been through that so I'm sure I'll get over it and It'll be fine.

I kinda have the same problem. I managed to make a band in 2 years, but the problem is that we all listen to different genres of metal and rock music. I play the rhytm guitar and I'm really into metalcore, the lead guitarist likes power metal and black/folk metal, the drummer listens to pop-rock and some core and the bassist and the singer both like alternative rock (which I also enjoy).

So yeah, it's not the same thing but it's difficult to write or cover something.

Just keep searching for people (Internet, friends, friends of friends, ads and so on...)
I'm sure you will find someone.
Last edited by MiniSunde at Jul 22, 2014,
the hardest part is always finding like minded people.

Do you live in a semi big city? Craigslist and kijiji are great tools for finding jam partners.

Make absolutely certain to mention your age and humor your parents when you meet people on the internet. Offer them to "chaperone" your first jams with people you meet on the internet and stay on their good side. If they'll be giving you rides, you need their support.

If you sing, at this point, you only really need a drummer to get a project going. Forget your friend. If he's not interested now, at the very beggining of the project, he won't last, regardless of what you force him to do.
rock camp is a good idea. don't burn your bridge with this friend, though. it's understandable that you want to get the ball rolling, but you have plenty of years ahead of you and it'll only get easier to find people to play with. in the meantime, don't stop searching (especially for a drummer and a place to practice) but also consider: 1) writing songs/riffs/whatever you like to call it, and 2) getting simple cheap recording equipment and producing your material yourself. if nothing else, playing along to a drum track will teach you a lot in itself. if you put out stuff that people like and are excited about, they'll be lining up to play with you.
Just start jamming with friends every day. Guitars, drums, piano, flute... it doesn't matter. Playing music and learning to play well with others matters. If things start to sound cool the other players will want to practice and get better. Don't wait around for others to catch up, just play early and play often.

http://vimeo.com/68177758
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 22, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Just start jamming with friends every day. Guitars, drums, piano, flute... it doesn't matter. Playing music and learning to play well with others matters. If things start to sound cool the other players will want to practice and get better. Don't wait around for others to catch up, just play early and play often.

http://vimeo.com/68177758

I mention in part of my post how I like things done in a certain way... I have no interest in playing styles other than rock and I don't have any other friends who are interested in playing or play an instrument I like.

However, I do practice every day. Someone mentioned that I was 14 and 'what's the rush'. Well as silly as it sounds, surely you are morer likely to be in a successful band if you start early?

I'm coming a bit left here...

At this stage you're 14. Don't sweat the small stuff about sorting out a band that's rock solid in terms of committed. Best to focus on getting better personally.

It's not about how much you practice but how you do it.

By all means develop a music group to bind over a shared passion and get each other to grow. This is a marathon game, not a short distance event.
Quote by Pacifica Ocean

Well as silly as it sounds, surely you are morer likely to be in a successful band if you start early?

How do you mean ?
Quote by flaaash
How do you mean ?

Well, if I could start playing gigs in my mid-teens then I'd have more experience for future opportunities. That's just an example but I hope that makes more sense.

At age 14, you should expect (and desire) to be in a few bands before you get out of high school. Playing with others expands your abilities as much as practicing on your own. Search out craigslist ads, open mic-type places for teens and music schools in your area for others.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Again, thanks for the help. Yeah, I've applied for a rock club thing but I'm very nervous about playing in front of other people but I'm sure that I'll get over it. I have sung and played guitar in front of people before and got a good reception.

And yeah, believe me, I feel so awkward when i even bring up music around my friend anymore because I don't want to seem like a one trick pony if you know what I mean. I get the chance to jam with adults quite a lot and I actually do know a drummer but he's a lot older than me so I can at least get some experience with playing with others even if I have to wait several years to actually start a proper gigging band.

My other problem is that I feel very shy and nervous about playing in front of people at the moment and sometimes I feel sick just thinking about it but I know that everybody has been through that so I'm sure I'll get over it and It'll be fine.

Yeah i get really nervous too. I don't gig, so the other guys will know way more about it than I do (obviously) so take what I'm going to say with a pinch of salt.

Don't let anyone tell you you're being a wuss for being nervous. Everyone is different, and different people will have different levels of nerves (in fact some people don't even seem to have nerves, some people actually seem to like being up). There's a big difference between having a few nerves which get you into the zone (and which most people maybe/probably have), and having crippling nerves (stage fright/anxiety) and I don't think it's helpful when people who have the former type of nerves act like people who have the latter should just get on with it. Depending on your personality type etc. that might even do more harm than good.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I used to have ridiculous nerves with piano, to the extent that I quit playing in front of people and even eventually quit exams too. Conversely I barely got nervous at all when it came to drums (or at least it was very definitely the former type of "get in the zone" nerves- just a slight case of butterflies which nearly made me enjoy it more), and that felt totally different. I actively enjoyed playing drums in front of people. I actively hated playing piano in front of people.

And yeah if you can get experience of playing and jamming with others, that should (hopefully) help both in terms getting experience/practice at playing and also in terms of getting used to playing in front of others.

Quote by justinhawkins
don't burn your bridge with this friend, though.

Absolutely. When I said not to continually bother the friend about guitar, I meant so he didn't annoy him or destroy the friendship. If the other guy brings up jamming or whatever he could still play with him occasionally.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Well, if I could start playing gigs in my mid-teens then I'd have more experience for future opportunities. That's just an example but I hope that makes more sense.

makes sense to me

just old people (myself included) wish they were 14 again and think that they're not past it yet at 97

seriously though what you're saying makes sense. just what they mean (i think) is to not think it's the end of the world either if it doesn't go exactly as you wish, because you have tons of time too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just put an ad out on craigslist or at your local music store looking for the band setup you want. I was in your position in high school and nobody was anywhere near as serious as I was. It's frustrating.

If you still can't find anybody, just write songs yourself. When I was 16 I couldn't write a good song if my life depended on it. The fact that you're so young gives you a ton of time to develop until you're out of high school and ready to find a serious group.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec