I was wondering how well a Pod HD would do with headphones or through a PC in place of an amp. I'll be living in an apartment so space and volume are an issue so I think this will better suit me. My tastes change often so I want something that's versatile and covers a lot of ground. It'd also be cool to be able to use it in front of the Deluxe but I know stacking preamps isn't a great idea. Would the HD series do this well? And which model is best? The 500 is expensive but afaik its the only one that allows you to use more than one pedal of a type at the same time. Is it worth it?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Use the 4 cable method and you can switch between the Deluxe and the Pod HD. You'll be able to use the FX in the Pod HD with your Deluxe and you will be able to use the power amp and speaker of the Deluxe for the HD models.

500 is the one to get. HD Pro if you don't care about footswitches and need more I/O.

The older Pod HD Desktop for someone on a budget.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Would that cut out the Deluxe's preamp?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I honestly have it done it myself, but assuming you've set it up correctly, probably.

Someone else that has done the 4CM can explain it.

You can also just out the HD directly into the effects loop and hijack the power amp that way, but that may not be as fun or useful.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The Deluxe Reverb doesn't have an effects loop.
Quote by chip46
POD HD500 can do a lot, but does sound pretty digital from time to time. When I ran it into my scarlett 6i6 and JBL monitors it sounded great, but besides that it mostly just sounded okay. I actually ended up going with an older offering from Line 6, the Vetta, and it is much better.
I'm using the Pod HD (bean) and the HD500X (and an Axe-FX Ultra).

The bean's perfect for what you're doing -- it's great with headphones, allows you to use chains of FX, works very well as a recording tool. There's a $25 stand that tilts it forward so that you can see what you're doing, there are footpedals for when you need to do live work.

But the Pods work best through (as JosephFeagin8 notes) full-range speakers. I've got 15 tube amps, none of which are being used with the Pods these days. Just no point. I'm running the modelers through anything from powered recording monitors (I've got a pair of KRK Rokit 8s) to full-bore PA systems with subwoofers.
Well how much do speakers cost and what kind would I need?
Quote by chip46
id just buy an audio interface and download the free version of amplitube 3.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I just managed to score a Pod HD Desktop for £128 yesterday.

Not had much chance to play with it loads but seems really versatile and easy to use. Some of the factory presets create sounds i would have never dreamed of!

Could someone just help me out though. On the display, does the signal chain go from left to right, cos thats what the manual implies. Id have assumed it would go from right to left i.e like a real pedalboard
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by romeozdistress
id just buy an audio interface and download the free version of amplitube 3.

I've used Revalver and Amplitube and while they get nice tones, they just don't cut it.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I've used Revalver and Amplitube and while they get nice tones, they just don't cut it.

which speakers were you usuing. i have some jbl lsr305s and it sounds pretty damn good through those. probably depends on what youre working with.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by LivinJoke84
I just managed to score a Pod HD Desktop for £128 yesterday.

Not had much chance to play with it loads but seems really versatile and easy to use. Some of the factory presets create sounds i would have never dreamed of!

Could someone just help me out though. On the display, does the signal chain go from left to right, cos thats what the manual implies. Id have assumed it would go from right to left i.e like a real pedalboard

Yes, it goes left to right.

It's not really a pedalboard, it's a signal chain involving an amp and cab.

The Line 6 M models do go right to left like a pedalboard though, since they are strictly MFX.

I own the HD Desktop and the HD500X, I can try to help you with any questions you have.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, it goes left to right.

It's not really a pedalboard, it's a signal chain involving an amp and cab.

The Line 6 M models do go right to left like a pedalboard though, since they are strictly MFX.

I own the HD Desktop and the HD500X, I can try to help you with any questions you have.

Yeah i figured that out last night, thanks. It just seems counter intuitive at first. I ended up putting my reverbs before my amp and dirt after my amp. No wonder it sounded pants! All sorted now

Seems pretty easy to use although im having a little trouble getting the amps and dirt boxes to not sound a bit "digital". Seem to lack warmth. Im using headphones btw
Quote by LivinJoke84
Yeah i figured that out last night, thanks. It just seems counter intuitive at first. I ended up putting my reverbs before my amp and dirt after my amp. No wonder it sounded pants! All sorted now

Seems pretty easy to use although im having a little trouble getting the amps and dirt boxes to not sound a bit "digital". Seem to lack warmth. Im using headphones btw

Remember it's not going to sound like playing out of an amp, but a recording of an amp through a mic setup like in a studio. Try to use some post-EQ. The amps sound pretty warm in my opinion.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
Remember it's not going to sound like playing out of an amp, but a recording of an amp through a mic setup like in a studio. Try to use some post-EQ. The amps sound pretty warm in my opinion.

Ah ok, cool. I see where your coming from. So rather than a live sound its more of a recorded sound? So putting an eq pedal ost amp and adding some bottom end?

The amp i was using last night, Fender Bassman, sounded pretty good. Its the dirt boxes im struggling with more