Hello, I am in a thrash metal band and we want to record a demo, we want it to sound oldschool, not very digital.
Anyway, we have no idea what exactly we need,a mixer?
in what do i need to put 8 or so mics for every piece of drumkit in order to record it?

I've found active marshall 100w mixer, 8channels, could we record with that?
Also,what we need in order to make our bass,guitar amp and vocal mic go through the speakers?

I've read the sticky thread, but it's too detailed, I just need to know the very basic things cause we are new to all this.
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
Quote by metallicafréak
we want it to sound oldschool, not very digital.
And what would that exactly mean?
Like, exactly.

The stickies ARE pretty simple, I suggest reading them until you get what's written in them.

No, you don't need 8 mics to record a drum kit, you can get away with a couple, though for your genre I suggest at least 4.

You will need a fairly big audio interface unless you want (and you have the equipment) to play everything live and in one take.
While that may seem appealing, the equipment for that is at least a compressor, a mixer big enough, enough microphones, a fairly good sounding space, and a very good performance.

In order to get everything to go through the speakers you will need a mixer and a power amp, or a powered mixer, though it's not a hell of an idea to use speakers of that kind when recording - your mics would each pick up a fair part of the whole mix, while you would ideally want to only pick up an instrument (or part of it) with each microphone.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
And what would that exactly mean?
Like, exactly.

Well, I thought that how it sounds depends on what kind of equipment we use.
But I guess for a demo it doesn't matter.
I know that the newer records sound more digitalized than the older ones, and I am told there is a difference in recording then and now. Exactly in what - I don't know.
Nevermind.

The stickies ARE pretty simple, I suggest reading them until you get what's written in them.

I suppose I will give it a more thorough read.
It's too complicated, also we have like two music shops in Serbia, and everything they have on web is ofc written in serbian and I have no idea what some things are called. All we want is a better audio of our songs than how we recorded it with a goddamned mobile phone, you know..

So what about that mixer? active marshall 100w mixer, 8channels, 2 speaker outputs.
we would get that first for gigs, will it eventually be of use for recording too?
or is a different kind of mixer required for recording?

Thanks for replying, I feel kinda stupid tho as everyone says it's simple but I have trouble understanding all of the technologies,heh.
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
Last edited by metallicafréak at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by metallicafréak

Anyway, we have no idea what exactly we need,a mixer?

No, you need to find someone who knows what he is doing. If you try to do this yourself it will turn out crap. Do you not have any colleges / schools with their own recording facilities locally - or even a local studio and pay for it? Do you know any live sound engineers who might be able to help if you can't find anyone with experience.

Quote by metallicafréak

I've found active marshall 100w mixer, 8channels, could we record with that?

You could but it would be only be mono.

BTW don't worry if you do it all digital you can make in sound old school in the mix down.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by PSimonR
No, you need to find someone who knows what he is doing. If you try to do this yourself it will turn out crap. Do you not have any colleges / schools with their own recording facilities locally - or even a local studio and pay for it? Do you know any live sound engineers who might be able to help if you can't find anyone with experience.

This. This this this this this.

Sure, if you actually want to learn about recording, buy the kit, learn how to use it, master your skills, and maybe in a year or two you'll have something acceptable.

If you need a demo for your band, the time and money would be much better spent getting someone to do it for you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by PSimonR

We live in town of ~20k citizens,we are the only band in the area, low on cash, sort of forced to do this by ourselves, my colleges/schools are not really that into music,heh.
We don't have money for studios, since it is far away,expensive and all, before we get into studio we want to get as good as possible.

You could but it would be only be mono.

BTW don't worry if you do it all digital you can make in sound old school in the mix down.

I mean, how was this recorded?
Metallica Demo

\m/\m/
Last edited by metallicafréak at Jul 23, 2014,
That was recorded in a studio with proper equipment and people who knew what they were doing.

They probably didn't spend much on it but they sure didn't get it for free either.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
That was recorded in a studio with proper equipment and people who knew what they were doing.

They probably didn't spend much on it but they sure didn't get it for free either.

Point taken.

\m/\m/