I've never recorded electric guitar before. Or anything, really. So I'm new to this side of doing things.

I'm trying to record something on electric guitar for my cousin's wedding. The wedding is in another country, in August, and I won't be able to go because of college. My family have asked me to compose and record some music for her since I can't be there.

So the thing I wrote has two lead melodies, moving in counterpoint harmony to each other. Since I've never recorded anything before, I don't have much proper equipment for it. I'm just recording the sound that comes out of the amp, on a Tascam DR40 microphone which belongs to another cousin. I know that's not the best way to get good sound quality in any case but it's the best I have.

And actually, it sounds pretty decent. My problem is, when I'm trying to record the lead lines, the other strings are making tiny noises which can sort of be heard. Is there any way I can stop this happening? Will it be ok if I just edit out the white noise later? The thing with doing that too much is that it can begin to sound thin and I don't want that to happen.

Can someone tell me if there's anything I can do about it please?
Signatureless. And this doesn't count. Because I said so.
Practice so you are not hitting the other strings. Learn how to keep the other strings muted.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by MikeBmusic
Practice so you are not hitting the other strings. Learn how to keep the other strings muted.

Yes I have just recently started recording and it has proven to be much more difficult to mask the slightest unwanted sound. Technique is the most important thing when it comes recording an electric guitar.

On the other hand though...
It shouldn't be too hard for you to use the software to mute the imperfections while you're developing your skills.
Practice more so you're not hitting the strings unintentionally.

But since you're probably in need of a quick fix, try putting something around the top of your fretboard to mute the strings that aren't being played such as a wristband, a sock (preferably clean) or anything else fabricy. Just wrap it so that it's covering the fretboard of the first fret. You don't want it too tight since it runs the risk of just fretting the notes like a capo, which isn't what you want. Keep it loose enough that it only mutes the strings.
Obviously if any of your lead melodies need an open string or the first fret, it's going to stop you from doing this.

I usually do this as a precaution when recording. I rarely cause unwanted string noise but doing this means that if I where to, I wouldn't have to re-record something because I'm lazy.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Last edited by link no1 at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by link no1
Practice more so you're not hitting the strings unintentionally.

But since you're probably in need of a quick fix, try putting something around the top of your fretboard to mute the strings that aren't being played such as a wristband, a sock (preferably clean) or anything else fabricy. Just wrap it so that it's covering the fretboard of the first fret. You don't want it too tight since it runs the risk of just fretting the notes like a capo, which isn't what you want. Keep it loose enough that it only mutes the strings.
Obviously if any of your lead melodies need an open string or the first fret, it's going to stop you from doing this.

I usually do this as a precaution when recording. I rarely cause unwanted string noise but doing this means that if I where to, I wouldn't have to re-record something because I'm lazy.

This will work. I don't need open strings. Thanks a lot!
Signatureless. And this doesn't count. Because I said so.
Link..what a great idea! I don't have a lot of trouble with ringing strings but on some aggresive leads it does happen occasionally and your idea is simple and effective. I will be trying in soon.