I need to bring my amp in for a check up because I have no idea what the cause of my noise issue is.

If its a speaker issue, what would be a good choice for a replacement? Its a VHT Special 6 Ultra combo with a set of JJ's in it. I play clean to heavy rock/metal sort of stuff. its generally run with the attenuation down to about 9'o'clock, on the dirty channel, boost pulled out, volume about half, and with a ts9 in front of it.
Hey dude. How are you?

Well, my opinion is to just exercise your warranty. I think these amps may have had a few QC issues. Unfortunately, I don't think I can help much with the speaker choice if you do indeed need to do that. I mainly wanted to give you a free bump and maybe Dave_MC could help as he owns/owned one of these and is also pretty knowledgeable on speakers too.

That said, I think you would be pretty happy with a Celestion G12H30. But then I just realized that this amp may have a 10" speaker. If that is the case, I'd look at the new Celestion V30 10" speaker or maybe a 10" Eminence or WGS flavor like the Reaper or et65 respectively. Hope that helps.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 23, 2014,
^ I've got the bog standard one, not the ultra. I think the ultra has a 12" speaker ok. I think offworld has the ultra (but i'm not sure what speakers he's tried it with).

What type of tone are you after? bright or dark? british or american (or a mix)? more vintage-sounding or more modern? are the cleans or the distortion more important? or a genuine mix of everything?

I'd say a g12h30 is a pretty decent shout for an all-rounder, though, without knowing a bit more info.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the bump. Its a 12" speaker. I've had the amp for about 4 years so warranty is out of the question. VHT asked for proof of purchase (I generally don't keep 4 year old receipts laying around) and when I told them that I didn't have it they wouldn't even help me trouble shoot.

But tone wise its more of a modern tone but if i could get a mix of british/american tone that would be pretty great
WGS brand
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by andrerist
Thanks for the bump. Its a 12" speaker. I've had the amp for about 4 years so warranty is out of the question. VHT asked for proof of purchase (I generally don't keep 4 year old receipts laying around) and when I told them that I didn't have it they wouldn't even help me trouble shoot.

But tone wise its more of a modern tone but if i could get a mix of british/american tone that would be pretty great

texas heat might be worth a shot. if it's not too dark (since the stock special 6 is a bit dark already- dunno about the ultra though). classic lead (or wgs version which i haven't tried) might do a similar sort of mix of modern british/american, but from the british side of the fence (i.e. the texas heat is mainly american with a little british, the classic lead is mainly british but not as much as some others). or for less modern than the classic lead, the g12h30 (or the wgs or eminence versions, but I haven't tried them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 25, 2014,