Hello boys and girls. I've recently recorded a bunch of demos (instrumentals only at this point) and it would be *super* nice if you could give them a listen and provide some feedback. Thus far nobody has said anything unkind about them so posting them on a UG forum seemed like a suitable way to redress the balance...

https://soundcloud.com/ken-pepper

Cheers,

Ken

\m/
Holy crap, your stuff is good! It's funny because when I was thinking of a title for one of my songs, I actually thought of the phrase "Diminishing Returns". It just sounded cool. I've followed you on Soundcloud. One suggestion: Try double tracking your guitars. They sound a bit far away at times, especially when the drums are loud.

Mind checking out my song A Lumberjack Enraged ? It's a heavy instrumental (which is the kind of stuff I'm writing now). Right now, that's the only song I've uploaded, but there are more to come. Thanks!
Thanks! Diminishing Returns = lots of diminished scale riffs and licks. I like punny titles.

The guitars are double tracked and hard panned (honest), but I did use a crappy mic that I found in a cupboard under the stairs in my old house, so that would be the weak link!

Some really interesting note choices in yours, especially at the beginning. Tasty solo too. Tidy playing.
I really like your guitar tone man. Sounds very modern. The song structures and riffs are definitely not generic. I really like the majority of your riffs
Not a massive fan of how the drums sound, but I guess this is personal taste.
Quote by KJP
And that sitar-y thing is pretty sweet.

Thanks! It's a mandolin with a hint of chorus btw. I was going to call it diminishing returns because of the riff towards the end that gets shorter and shorter, with the odd time signatures.
Quote by Sanati22
I really like your guitar tone man. Sounds very modern. The song structures and riffs are definitely not generic. I really like the majority of your riffs
Not a massive fan of how the drums sound, but I guess this is personal taste.

Cheers. The drums aren't the best, I'll admit, but it was a choice of Guitar Pro, Guitar Pro, or Guitar Pro.

Tone is an Epi LP custom with Seymour Duncan SH6es through a Marshall DSL with a Peavey cab. One guitar has a low mid boost and a high mid cut via an MXR 6 band, the other is all amp with more highs and high mids.
Awesome stuff man! Really awesome. There's nothing wrong with your distorted tone, in my opinion, but I think your clean tone could be a little bit better.

I really think the only thing keeping your songs down are the drums quality and the lack of vocals. You should look for some virtual drums plugins, EZDrummer is an excellent option, in my opinion.

Keep it up dude!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1650514
Quote by mp8andrade
Awesome stuff man! Really awesome. There's nothing wrong with your distorted tone, in my opinion, but I think your clean tone could be a little bit better.

I really think the only thing keeping your songs down are the drums quality and the lack of vocals. You should look for some virtual drums plugins, EZDrummer is an excellent option, in my opinion.

Keep it up dude!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1650514

Yeah, when I have a bit of cash to throw around I'll invest in a drum program and lock myself in a room until I've learned to use it. And, you know, find a singer. I probably didn't play around with different clean sounds enough but I'll experiment a bit more in future. Thanks for the kind words!
Last edited by KJP at Jul 25, 2014,