Page 1 of 2
This question has always bothered me a bit. Even though the youngest generation is the target demographic for basically every entertainment medium, this doesn't stop middle-aged people from checking out new movies, for example. What is it about music that's different?

gogogo
Although people don't stop watching new films, could you argue that most older people stop watching new types of films?

I mean, I don't know how many old people (who aren't critics die hard enthusiasts) went to see Only God Forgives.
superman is killing himself tonight
I read a paper too (probably not the one snazz is talking about) on how music brings out a more general sense of nostalgia than other mediums so people feel more attached to it.

In other words people are stuck in the past.

I haven't done any studies myself so I don't know if that's true though.
Probz the combination of listening to the newest music being for cool points they don't really care about anymore, the near inability to go to the concerts, an inability to relate to the lyrics and not wanting to associate with youth culture, the fact that music changes much more constantly, suddenly and radically than films do, etc

^yeah i meant to say that too, ironically the old stuff probably brings them back into "the good old days" when they were young and not understanding new stuff probably just makes em realize they're old
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by slipknot5678
I read a paper too (probably not the one snazz is talking about) on how music brings out a more general sense of nostalgia than other mediums so people feel more attached to it.

In other words people are stuck in the past.

I haven't done any studies myself so I don't know if that's true though.

This could definitely be the case.

The thing is that I've noticed that a good deal of people seem to feel this way despite themselves, as in they never really wanted to be that kind of old guy that's yelling at their neighbor's kids to turn their bullshit off but they just kinda end up like that.
Last edited by whywefight at Jul 23, 2014,
It's because people make new films that appeal to different demographics. Most new music is geared towards youth. If people made music that appealed to older folks they will buy it. I'd say 60-70% of the people who have bought my band's CD have been 40+. It wasn't anything intentional. It just seems that older people like our music and younger people don't seem to like it as much.
#DTWD
For me, I guess life circumstances made me focus on other things than music. My general path in life is shifting away from playing music as well, but I am getting back into playing guitar. I also started hanging out with people that aren't super into music, so I don't find any new bands through them. I also don't really try to seek out new music anymore, but that's probably just laziness.
Going off of what bob and wwf are saying, I think part of it is also that music is something people generally identify with more on a personal level. When you watch a film or read a book, you're usually seeing other characters and can appreciate the work without relating to it on a personal level. It's easier to think of a musician as representing yourself, especially when music has a more 'indefinite' feel to it. People listen to it while doing arduous tasks, on their commute, etc, while a film or book is usually read/watched in a set period of time (I don't know if this is making sense). So in that sense it can easily lead to people identifying with it more and not want to identify with newer, more youthful styles.

I do know old people who like newer, more youthful music though. Even if they can't relate to it on a personal level, they can still appreciate today's youth and the art they make. I know a guy in his sixties who listens to newer hip-hop, for example, and talks about is passionately even if it isn't similar to his own life. I hope I turn out like him and not a get off my lawn old man.
The answer is quite simple, people will listen to what ever they listen to when they start getting laid, and they identify with it and refuse to change.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I'm thinking hard about this and I never seem to come up with any articulate thoughts. I'm not even sure whether I'm into new music. I used to be a bit biased against new music for some reason when I was like 19 (I remember posting in the chat thread about it once, I'll see if I find it), and since then I've been getting into new music (I mean new for me, not necessarily new as in recent) at a pretty slow pace so I never really catch up with new stuff unless it's from a band/artist I already liked.
most people probably just do not have the time/desire to keep up with all the new music that is constantly being released. i mean, if you are working 40 hours a week plus handling whatever other responsibilities old people have, you can't sit around listening to records all day, & when you do get time to listen, you probably wanna listen to something you know you like. and sifting through new music can be pretty overwhelming. i mean, sure, you can figure out what p4k (or anyone else) says BNM is, but do you just wanna be drone who mindlessly laps up whatever someone tells you to?

also lots of people just have different interests. some people spend free time going to movies or reading books or watching sporting events instead of listening to music or going to concerts.

speaking from experience, i "discover" most of the new music i listen to via social interactions -- hangin' out with friends & talking about music, seeing a band play a local show, stuff like that. old people probably do not do those things as much. my parents rarely "hang out" with friends & certainly don't go to rock'n'roll clubs.
I'm not sure that's actually the case, at least not for everyone. While I have a couple of friends that would absolutely apply to, there are others that are constantly looking for something new. I'm probably more picky regarding what I listen to nowadays, but that's because there's so much to choose from that I don't have to settle...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
For me, it's mostly along the lines of; I've spent however many years finding what I like and don't like in a broader sense, so I don't need to just listen to everything and anything for the sake of finding something new. I can just look in general areas and pick and choose there. Not that I'm particularly old, but once I find something I like I tend to stick with it for a long time
Not everyone does though, a lot of older people are still keeping up.
Because the drudgery of their boring jobs (tedious tasks, tedious conversation, and tedious preparation for tedious tasks and tedious conversation) cuts their balls off and kills their souls.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by guitarist41
Because the drudgery of their boring jobs (tedious tasks, tedious conversation, and tedious preparation for tedious tasks and tedious conversation) cuts their balls off and kills their souls.

At least you recognize what you have to look forward to...
Charles Darwin
Maybe they have so many favourite bands already and don't need any more
As far as movies go, it's because there's no surprise left. You can tell who's going to die, who's going to hook up, who's going to <insert plot point relevant activity here> within 10 mins of the start.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
life is only fun for so long
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
life is only fun for so long

I sincerely hope that's not true!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I sincerely hope that's not true!

mate I know you're old and everything, but you do know that you'll die at some point, right?
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
mate I know you're old and everything, but you do know that you'll die at some point, right?

I recognize the likelihood, but I'm rooting for science to cure death before I get there!!

And even if I do, I'm hoping it remains fun right till the end! It's been one hell of a ride so far, I see no reason for that to stop.

You've no doubt seen this before, but I've always been fond of it so another quoting won't hurt:

"Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!”

I've seen it attributed to George Carlin and to Hunter S. Thompson. I'm fine either way...
Charles Darwin
Because older music is better.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
When you're young, you're impressionable. You're growing and being shaped into the person you're going to be. You're more open to new ideas and things.

When you reach a certain point, you're pretty much the person you're going to be for good. You're stuck into your original tastes in music/movies/everything.

It's really pretty simple.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Arby911
I'm rooting for science to cure death before I get there!!

the good angel is sickly yes but i'm afraid it's terminal.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
the good angel is sickly yes but i'm afraid it's terminal.

I'd like to pretend I'm smart enough to understand what you're talking about, but I'm not and don't unfortunately?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'd like to pretend I'm smart enough to understand what you're talking about, but I'm not and don't unfortunately?

the angel of death came to arby's room
he said, "friend, it's time to go"

i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
the angel of death came to arby's room
he said, "friend, it's time to go"

Tell him to come on ahead, I've seen his shadow a time or two before. I'm just as curious about what comes next as I am about everything here, just not in a hurry to find out.

"Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to go now!"
Charles Darwin
My step dad is always listening to an inquiring me about newer bands etc. It tends to be me that buys the CDs for him online (he won't do it, dang internet will steal his money) and a lot of the time I'm ordering stuff from new bands and/or albums that are aimed more towards my age group that I've never even heard of.

As far as other media like Movies, even I can see why somebody would lose interest in that at older ages. I'm only 23 and I can work out who's going to die, who's going to sex who and usually in what manner the events are going to play out within the first 10 minutes of a film simply because most of them have the exact same formula for the story, and you obviously notice this pattern after x amount of years and you've watch x amount of films...
By the time I'm 40, I'll be working out that stuff before the film has started.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
who are these people? there is no point of reference here.

am i people too?

and why do people watch such boring movies
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jul 23, 2014,
tbh Im 19 and I dont like to listen any music from 2000's and later era unless I'm very certain that production and band is good. New groups tend to have bigger circlejerk and they are under influence of shitty media and fanbase. I dont like that.

Its easier for me to listen to good old bands like Grand Funk Railroad which now no one cares about. I definetly disagree to all that "because they get old and boring and lose their soul" bullshit. Imo listening to a song made 25 years ago and trying to feel it, live it gives way more soul than contemporary songs.
Honestly TS, most older people have been around long enough to discover what music they like and don't like and they'll stick to what they enjoy. Music for them is less of a social medium and more of simple enjoyment and nostalgia.

A lot of music these days is very social influenced so what new music you're exposed to is generally what other people you know listen to, that being said I prefer just exploring for myself but in most cases it's a social driven thing for us young'uns.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
i'm 25 and I haven't really activity tried to find me music in about the last three years or so. the bigger factor is certainly time, you don't realize how time consuming searching out new music to listen to can be until you have a fiancé, a four-year-old and two jobs.

part of for me anyway, is also that I don't want to waste time and money (I decided a couple years ago to stop downloading stuff) on a new album I might like when I can just listen to Modest Mouse or something.

the fiancé also has terrible taste in music so that probably has something to do with it too

EDIT: just wanted to add that this exact statement came out of my mouth a couple weeks ago before I realized what I was saying: "Music today is just to loud, there's just so much going on in every song" and then I felt like I was 65
Last edited by howamidriving? at Jul 23, 2014,
Hell, I'm no spring chicken and I still find stuff in newer music that I like and listen to. I know a few other older people like myself, that still explore newer music.

Funny, was wondering that to myself the other day. I was working with some guys, I do construction, and we had a radio on. Funny because a lot of the guys I work with, who are a little older than me, only listen to music from the past, classic rock, some 80's new wave, and while I appreciate that stuff and reminisce myself, I'm always looking for something new.

I guess you really have to love music to continue paying attention to whats going on. I dont watch much tv, and would rather play guitar than anything else so music as a whole is my hobby. Thats what I fill my time with. As you get older you have to be more selective with what you focus free time on. Some go to sports, a few stick with music. Between work and family people become very selective in what they spend their free time doing.

I guess..... Thats not me so I dont know for sure.
I've actually been getting into heavier stuff than my 20's surprisingly. I always do s#!t backwards!!
Page 1 of 2