Post rock band, we're thinking of using three or four different short excerpts of audio to sample live. Question is how to do it.

My idea was to simply create each sample and load it into itunes. Separate each track by long tracks of silence (so they dont run into each other). Hook the laptop straight into the mixer (about 10m from the laptop) with a 3.5 to rca cable. And when it's needed, hit play on the itunes track. Once the song is over, stop the track of silence, highlight the next sample and hover the mouse over the play button. Considering there only is one sample per song at most.

Is this logical? Budget is non existant, so no sample pads for the drummer or anything like that. But would this work alright if the soundguy knew this was what was happening ahead of time? Would he need a different speak or could he track this down another one that is being used at the same time?

Thanks.
I think you're going to get more traction with this in the Recording forum.

We have a couple of resident experts, but they hang there as well.

The rest of us don't know shit...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
the drummer in my old band used a sample pad for bass drops and other random noises. that worked for us. although we had a PA to run it through along with vocals. sample were never longer than 20 seconds.

i don't know too much on the subject though. i just guitar and stuff. :P
Quote by EoinOwnage
Hook the laptop straight into the mixer (about 10m from the laptop) with a 3.5 to rca cable.
It wouldn't by any means sound good but it's live so who cares and it would work, yeah.
Though talk to the sound guy before and ask him if he'd prefer you to give him an 1/4" jack to connect to a line in instead of an rca to connect to a tape in.
Quote by EoinOwnage
My idea was to simply create each sample and load it into itunes. Separate each track by long tracks of silence (so they dont run into each other). [...] And when it's needed, hit play on the itunes track. Once the song is over, stop the track of silence, highlight the next sample and hover the mouse over the play button. Considering there only is one sample per song at most.
Do you have the slightest clue how unpractical that would be?
I'm picturing people going a cm too much to the right or to the left with the cursor or starting the wrong sample and ****ing up the whole thing.
Use the free trial of this if you don't wanna buy stuff - http://www.soundplant.org/
Quote by EoinOwnage
But would this work alright if the soundguy knew this was what was happening ahead of time? Would he need a different speak or could he track this down another one that is being used at the same time?
I don't get what you mean by "different speak" but it would work, yeah, even with itunes.
Tell the sound guy before and include that in the sound check before the show.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You could download audacity. Load each sample into a different track. Mute all the tracks. Unmute the one you want to play. Hit play. Repeat process.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by EoinOwnage
Post rock band, we're thinking of using three or four different short excerpts of audio to sample live. Question is how to do it.

My idea was to simply create each sample and load it into itunes. Separate each track by long tracks of silence (so they dont run into each other). Hook the laptop straight into the mixer (about 10m from the laptop) with a 3.5 to rca cable. And when it's needed, hit play on the itunes track. Once the song is over, stop the track of silence, highlight the next sample and hover the mouse over the play button. Considering there only is one sample per song at most.

Is this logical? Budget is non existant, so no sample pads for the drummer or anything like that. But would this work alright if the soundguy knew this was what was happening ahead of time? Would he need a different speak or could he track this down another one that is being used at the same time?

Thanks.

most bands do this by putting the drummer on a metronome.

you'd lay out the song in something like garageband, get the desired metronome tempo/signature and then map the song out (what measures everything falls into). then you drop in your clips where you need them to be.

what you would then do is export a track/mp3 file (to an ipod lets say) where the metronome is panned hard to one ear (lets say left) and the samples are panned hard to the other (lets say right). then you'd run the ipod into a mixer, sending one headphone out to the drummer so he can hear the metronome then you'd send the right signal from the mp3 to the sound guy (via the mixer) so he can put it in his PA setup.

then you have to play tight. anything off will disrupt how the samples sit in the song. most bands practice quite a bit to make this happen. the bands i know that did this generally had the drummer control the ipod (the bands i know that did this, the drummer usually only kept the left/metronome ear in on the ipod output..

this approach does require quite a bit of discipline and squashes certain types of improvisation, but it does allow samples to fall where you need them live without a bunch of jumping through hoops. i have known two bands that did this, and i have heard of others that also did this.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 23, 2014,
I don't think he wants it to be in time with the song. He just wants ambience in the background. So it wouldn't matter the exact time it starts as long as it's close to where he wants it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Spambot_2
I don't get what you mean by "different speak" but it would work, yeah, even with itunes.
Tell the sound guy before and include that in the sound check before the show.

Different speaker I meant. Somebody else said it can be run through the vocals so that's ok there.

I do understand the impracticality and I'll check out soundplant. But it's all controlled by me, I'm not trusting other people to hit play at the right time xD

The places in songs were the samples are activated are slow, almost always when only one guitar is playing. The chances of messing up hitting the play button are slim.... oh how I wish we had money so we could afford a sampling pad....
With the kind of samples I'm using, they dont need to be 100% on the beat. Hence the extreme simplicity of all this.
Do you have an ipad or iphone? You could get the Novation Launchpad app to give you a set of sampling pads.

The app is free and comes with some samples included. There's also an in-app purchase for about £5 that allows you to import your own samples.

Then just run a cable from the headphone output to the mixer.

A fairly cheap way to do it (assuming you already have the tablet or iphone that is)
Last edited by WeZ-84 at Jul 24, 2014,
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Anyone else have any free (or close to it) ways of sampling?
If you are using an ipad or iPhone, or whatever, put that on Airplane mode. No useless noise or notifications should be coming in like EVER haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
There are small gym-oriented mp3 players like Sansa Fuse that have long battery life, making a playlist in that and running it from the drums should be fairly easy to do.

The MPX8 seems like a brilliant solution. There was a drum sampler pad from Roland that does that as well but it is about $600, which caused my band to drop that idea.

I currently do mine on laptop in Impact (Studio One) where they have sampler matrix which I trigger from a small toy-type NI keyboard.

If any of you have iPhones, tablets or even Android phones, I think you can use one of the multitrack apps and load the samples in there. You can also use a hardware dictation recorder, audio recorder, audio multitracker, mp3 player, minidisc, even Walkman type tape player to do what you want.

Guitar looper pedal might also be a great way to do it, or just put an old laptop to good use.