Ok guys, this is new for me. I always hang out at the Electric Guitar and the GG&A side of things, so coming here is new ground for me

So as my band is currently getting towards playing at a gigging level, my dad talked to me about buying me a bass, which is nice of him. As he's really supportive with my music and stuff.

Anyway, I've not got anywhere to start as I know little to nothing with basses, I'm assuming it's kind of the same with basses as it is for guitars. So Dean stuff's a no go if it has Dime on it and what not.

Budget is about £400-£500 at a stretch. I was thinking about some of the Schecter basses, as I love my Schecter guitar, but I'm not sure their basses are of the same quality.

General gear right now; Squier Affinity P-Bass (On loan), Vintage Music Man bass copy.

Any advice guys? We play a style of classic metal. Think Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, Dio, Angel Witch, Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
So Dean stuff's a no go if it has Dime on it and what not.

You'll not find a whole lot of Dime basses but Dean should be a no go either way.

What you need to know is pretty much all in the FAQ but anyways: have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Precision and Jazz basses, they're probably the best budget friendly basses you could possibly get started on. The lower range of the Ibanez SR series is likewise a good place to start. The Peavey Millennium BXP and Sterling by Music Man SUB series would be worth a look at too.

I'm sure some of our UK based regulars will chime in on the best bang for your buck on your side of the pond, but check those out in the meantime. And please please please head to a shop and try out as many as you can before you buy.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
That selection of bands SCREAMS P-bass, here's a quick selection to consider:

Sandberg Electra VS4
G&L Tribute SB2
Warwick Rockbass Streamer LX
Yamaha BB424x

Of course you aren't limited to precision basses but a split coil pickup in the sweet spot is really going to hit the spot with that kind of music.

I advise you to avoid Fender Mexican Standard series, others would disagree and they're perfectly welcome. The several that I have owned have been total wank though. You won't get a decent Schecter bass in that price range, their lower-mid priced stuff is bland as hell. The Model-T is fantastic but it's about £200 out of budget.

£500 could also get you something really nice second-hand, maybe an American Standard Fender of German-made Warwick. Check out the marketplace on Basschat.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 23, 2014,
Quote by Tostitos
have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Precision and Jazz basses, they're probably the best budget friendly basses you could possibly get started on.

The Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass is probably the best low level bass I have ever played. Based on your selection of bands, I would suggest the Squier P-Bass, but you should also check out the lower level Ibanez SR basses, as well as LTD and Music Man. I haven't played anything from Music Man, but I have heard a lot of good things about their guitars and basses, so they could be worth checking out. As for the Schecter, I would suggest trying them out and seeing for yourself, since I haven't played any or heard anything about them.

Another thing you could do, if you're willing, is to look at used basses. You can usually find one used for about half the price of a new one, so looking sure wouldn't hurt.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Yeah, it does scream P Bass, but I'm not sure I'm able to play a P-Bass for medical reasons, because of some issues with my chest I can't play anything standard shaped. Which has resorted to me playing V's when I play the guitar these days.

Was looking at this, http://www.thomann.de/gb/bc_rich_widow_bass_4.htm I'm liking the specs on it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Tostitos

I'm sure some of our UK based regulars will chime in on the best bang for your buck on your side of the pond, but check those out in the meantime. And please please please head to a shop and try out as many as you can before you buy.

There are some good prices on the Fret King Blue label stuff currently. I sort of hesitate to recommend them since I know jack about bass and haven't really compared them to much, but based on the guitars they're pretty good bang for the buck since you can often get them new (or new old stock) from stores on ebay for around £200-£300. Mine's a bit neck heavy (and also just heavy full stop but then I'm a wuss and spoiled by my vigier ), but other than that it seems pretty nice, it sounds good and plays nicely.

I also wonder about those Fame basses Musicstore (and now DV247 since MusicStore bought them out) sells. The dearer ones (starting around the £500 mark) allegedly are built by Mayones in Poland (and Mayones has a killer rep I think, at least for guitars, though I haven't tried them either ). I haven't tried them (and the one time I dealt with MusicStore I really didn't like them, I haven't bought from them since, let's put it like that ), but yeah. If he's near DV247 they might be worth a try, too.

Obviously listen to Spaz91 too since he knows way more than I do about bass (that goes without saying, lol, since he's actually a bass player, not a guitarist who duffs about with bass).

EDIT: scratch that, if your health issues affect it, I'm sorry to hear that (I remember you saying in threads in EG you had health issues, sorry I forgot ). Fretking does a vaguely Thunderbird-shaped bass, but I haven't tried it. It also might be really heavy. Plus I don't know if that's enough difference in shape, if it needs to ideally be V-shaped.

Quote by Tostitos
You'll not find a whole lot of Dime basses

LOL

With all they released with dime's name on it I'm expecting a signature trumpet at some point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 24, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
There are some good prices on the Fret King Blue label stuff currently. I sort of hesitate to recommend them since I know jack about bass and haven't really compared them to much, but based on the guitars they're pretty good bang for the buck since you can often get them new (or new old stock) from stores on ebay for around £200-£300. Mine's a bit neck heavy (and also just heavy full stop but then I'm a wuss and spoiled by my vigier ), but other than that it seems pretty nice, it sounds good and plays nicely.

I also wonder about those Fame basses Musicstore (and now DV247 since MusicStore bought them out) sells. The dearer ones (starting around the £500 mark) allegedly are built by Mayones in Poland (and Mayones has a killer rep I think, at least for guitars, though I haven't tried them either ). I haven't tried them (and the one time I dealt with MusicStore I really didn't like them, I haven't bought from them since, let's put it like that ), but yeah. If he's near DV247 they might be worth a try, too.

Obviously listen to Spaz91 too since he knows way more than I do about bass (that goes without saying, lol, since he's actually a bass player, not a guitarist who duffs about with bass).

EDIT: scratch that, if your health issues affect it, I'm sorry to hear that (I remember you saying in threads in EG you had health issues, sorry I forgot ). Fretking does a vaguely Thunderbird-shaped bass, but I haven't tried it. It also might be really heavy. Plus I don't know if that's enough difference in shape, if it needs to ideally be V-shaped.

LOL

With all they released with dime's name on it I'm expecting a signature trumpet at some point

Awesome advice, listen to the regulars, what about the BC I posted before? Seems good for what sort of image/sound I'm going for!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Never tried them, I've only tried the two basses I own (the fret king and the vigier) I'm like you, I hang out in EG and G G&A 99% of the time. Just I took up bass recently and liked the forum so I stayed, and when tostitos mentioned UKers I thought I'd mention things which seem (to me, and on paper ) to be maybe decent value. So i probably know no more than you do (probably far less).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Never tried them, I've only tried the two basses I own (the fret king and the vigier) I'm like you, I hang out in EG and G G&A 99% of the time. Just I took up bass recently and liked the forum so I stayed, and when tostitos mentioned UKers I thought I'd mention things which seem (to me, and on paper ) to be maybe decent value. So i probably know no more than you do (probably far less).

Yeah, playing bass in a band dude and I know nothing
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BC Rich are a fine company with their higher range stuff but their cheap shit is pretty damn shit.

If you're after something a bit less standard then definitely check out Warwick Rockbass and Ibanez.
Quote by Spaz91
BC Rich are a fine company with their higher range stuff but their cheap shit is pretty damn shit.

If you're after something a bit less standard then definitely check out Warwick Rockbass and Ibanez.

Wouldn't call 500,cheap myself. I'm assuming you mean their higher end stuff? Gonna check out those two now, but nothing really screams pointy to me.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
An SR500 or SR600 both fit in your budget. Go play them. The necks are really thin which you will either love or hate.