For some background information: I am a ret. special operations veteran from the U.S. Army, and have been trained against attack dogs, although this was my first encounter in a windbreaker and shorts instead of a padded suit.

So, in the middle of my run today through a park, I heard barking and looked to see an obese woman fighting to hold back her pit bull as it barked and tried to give chase to a child riding his bicycle on the path ahead of me.

In quite possibly the most pathetic fashion I've seen, the woman drops the leash and falls, and the dog tears across the field towards the child. The kid sees the dog coming, gets off the bike and starts to run away. I begin running towards the child to pick him up, but the dog is much closer. It jumps onto the child and viciously bites his thigh, taking him down to the ground. The child throws his arms up, and I'm there just as the dog bites the child a second time, on his forearm by his elbow. I gave the dog a hard kick to the ribs and booted it off the ground, but the little **** kept his jaws clamped to the child's arm and started to twist its head back and forth. I dived on top of the dog, got one arm under his neck and tried to gouge the dog's eyes with my other hand. It let go of the kid to try to bite me, and tore a ****ing piece out of my windbreaker sleeve. I squeezed his head close to my shoulder with one arm like I was trying to hold a football, braced myself against his body with my knees, and then held it tightly and twisted his head, hard.

The child's parents called 911 while I wrapped his father's sweater around the kid's arm. His leg wasn't bleeding much, but skin had been torn from the child's arm. The stupid bitch who owned the dog was screaming and crying and telling us it wasn't her fault, the dog had been her brother's, and other nonsense.

Police and an ambulance showed up, and the child went to the hospital with his parents. I went to the police station with the woman, and got a ride home from an officer after I was done. I was on the phone with the kid's father half an hour ago, and he's going to be fine -- the child is still in the hospital now, they're making sure his arm doesn't get infected. They said they've spoken to the woman and plan to settle out of court.

So, that's that. As for how I feel, I don't regret my actions at all, but as an owner of three dogs (two ex-police dogs and a black lab my wife saved), I am disgusted that a dog had to die because of his stupid owner's negligence.

I'm curious what others think about this. My wife gave me a good scolding for being "crazy" but agreed that if I hadn't acted, the child may have been mauled.

As for whether I could have done the same thing without killing the animal, I don't know. I suppose I could have tried to control it without breaking its neck, but it was awfully close to biting my arm and in the moment it seemed like the only option.

I'm curious to know what others think of this situation. I will check back as often as I can to reply to any questions.

P.S. Sorry for posting a second time, I submitted this to "reddit.com" by accident without choosing "IAmA."

EDIT: I have been replying to posts in my first (wrong) submission located here: http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/edoga/iama_man_who_killed_a_pit_bull_to_save_a_child/ I'll start replying to the ones here now, I apologize for the delay.
Good job saving a kid from being food, you handled the situation well

But how did you become a man named Mary?
Quote by whywefight

But how did you become a man named Mary?

Hello whywefight I have a formal request would you please not steal my jokes before I tell them or at least will you credit me as the original author of the jokes thank you for your understanding
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by MaryMSnowden
The stupid bitch who owned the dog was screaming and crying and telling us it wasn't her fault, the dog had been her brother's, and other nonsense.

Kinda doesn't seem that bad

Quote by willT08

anything over pitbulls

bleh
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
omg guys pitbulls are as calm as any other dogs it's just all these fukn pitbulls have bad owners and no other dogs do
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
yeah i am confused this may seem liked reddit.com at times but it is ultimate-guitar.com i assure you
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
This is an AMA post from 3 years ago, knuckleheads.

Also I like pit bulls.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
what
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I dont get why people want to get aggressive dogs as pets. Like if you want to protect your business or are using them in the police and stuff then fine, I can see why an aggressive dog is good. But why people go "yes, I want to share my life and living space with an animal that is known for being violent and aggressive, and has been bred for hundreds of years to be that way. That sounds wonderful!"

also, why on earth did you post this?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
I dont get why people want to get aggressive dogs as pets. Like if you want to protect your business or are using them in the police and stuff then fine, I can see why an aggressive dog is good. But why people go "yes, I want to share my life and living space with an animal that is known for being violent and aggressive, and has been bred for hundreds of years to be that way. That sounds wonderful!"

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Skim read some of it, a lot I already knew

"some pits are okay, some aren't"

they are known for their aggressiveness, you can't deny that. They tend to be quite big and powerful dogs. Just like Border Collies are known for being smart and Labradors for being friendly. The fact is, Pitbulls are big and strong dogs, require a lot of training, and an owner that knows what they're doing. Like other breeds of dogs that are also big and similar (german shepards and such)
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
Skim read some of it, a lot I already knew

"some pits are okay, some aren't"

they are known for their aggressiveness, you can't deny that. They tend to be quite big and powerful dogs. Just like Border Collies are known for being smart and Labradors for being friendly. The fact is, Pitbulls are big and strong dogs, require a lot of training, and an owner that knows what they're doing. Like other breeds of dogs that are also big and similar (german shepards and such)

i mean yeah, but the truth is what's in there and that's not what it says. they were bred for fighting other dogs, not people. and even then all that is is they have a higher disposition to do that. if you raise them around other dogs and don't intentionally teach them to fight they're fine.

Sadly, the pit bull has acquired a reputation as an unpredictable and dangerous menace. His intimidating appearance has made him attractive to people looking for a macho status symbol, and this popularity has encouraged unscrupulous breeders to produce puppies without maintaining the pit bull’s typical good nature with people. To make matters worse, irresponsible owners interested in presenting a tough image often encourage their pit bulls to behave aggressively. If a pit bull does bite, he’s far more likely to inflict serious injuries than most other breeds, simply because of his size and strength. A pit bull bite is also far more likely to draw media attention. Many dogs of other breeds bite people, but these incidents almost always go unreported. They’re just not exciting enough fodder for television and print. Despite this bad rap, a well-bred, well-socialized and well-trained pit bull is one of the most delightful, intelligent and gentle dogs imaginable. It is truly a shame that the media continues to portray such a warped image of this beautiful, loyal and affectionate breed.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Pit bulls are kinda ****ed over because they are ridiculously strong. It's no secret that some assholes train them to be aggressive, but even when they aren't trained that way just a little bite can cause a ton of damage. A Golden Retrieve running out a jumping on someone isn't gonna cause nearly as much damage as a Pit Bull even though the latter might not be any more aggressive.

Plus, the are really protective of their owners which is something that is nice to have, but again, can turn bad just because of how strong they are.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
would you save your dog over a stranger?

if the only way to save ur dog would be to suck its dick, would u suck its dick?
TS we have asked you questions and you haven't responded.

Worst AMA ever.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
*tips fedora*
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by WCPhils
Pit bulls are kinda ****ed over because they are ridiculously strong. It's no secret that some assholes train them to be aggressive, but even when they aren't trained that way just a little bite can cause a ton of damage. A Golden Retrieve running out a jumping on someone isn't gonna cause nearly as much damage as a Pit Bull even though the latter might not be any more aggressive.

Plus, the are really protective of their owners which is something that is nice to have, but again, can turn bad just because of how strong they are.

This
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My hypothesis is that pitbulls are adopted as a status symbol of aggressiveness by people who want an aggressive dog and are bad owners. 'Less strong' breeds are usually not adopted with this mentality. It's not that the pitbulls themselves are just evil by nature.

I have no evidence of this other than anecdotal shit but I'm considering actually doing something about it.
My family had a pit as a kid and I still have all my limbs, AMA.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by deadsmileyface
i vote the thread be closed

I OBJECT

recount pls
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect