Just wondering if the Sh-6 bridge and neck do decent cleans because they are distortion pickups. If not, what would be an alternative for the neck pickup so I can get good cleans without rolling off of the volume? Im replacing the Gibson Burstbuckers on my Brendon Small Snowfalcon so they have to be white because I really want to keep the all white look.
No the SH6 is not good for cleans

SH2n is nice, but I'm unsure of how it would pair up with the sh6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What amp you usin'? Because the SH-6 (or, at least tb-6) on my so-cal sounds decent clean on my VK212. The Sh-6N isn't as good. But split coiled (middle position on the 3 way toggle) between the bridge and neck is fantastic.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Not even the neck model? Im definitely wanting pickups that have high output but not so much that I cant do cleans.
Also, does the whole F spaced stuff make a difference? Because either I cant find a full white pickup for the neck but when I do its pretty much always F spaced.
If you have a Floyd, get an F-Spaced bridge. If not, ignore f-space entirely. It's only for the bridge, as far as I know. The neck model isn't terrible clean, it's just that split coil is better than both pups. with the distortion set, I look at it this way: split>bridge>neck. It's more mellow.

If you want better chances at cleaner sounds, I'd get a jazz sh-2n or '59n since they have less output but will still match with a distortion bridge.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 23, 2014,
For spacing, don't try to determine it based on what bridge you have, or what model guitar you have, or any crap like that.

Take a ruler, and actually measure the distance from the middle of the first string to the middle of the sixth string on top of the bottom coil of the bridge pup and the top coil of the neck pup. That's how you figure out the string spacing of your guitar.

I've had a good handful of guitars, and I've found that actually most of them are F spaced in the neck, and even wider than F spaced in the bridge. Regardless of bridge type (I'm talking TOMs, Floyd Roses, Ibanez ZR, Ibanez Edge, you name it).

I actually have a TB-6 bridge & SH-2 neck in an Ibanez RG520. The Jazz is completely clean. The Distortion has just a tiny bit of grit to it. I imagine that the neck model should be clean.

Problem with this is that everyone has a different definition and idea of what a "clean" tone is. I hear a lot of people playing "clean" on Youtube or whatever, and it's gritty as hell. To me, not clean at all.

And for whatever reason, a lot of people seem to have issue with picking dynamics, and can't seem to get a clean tone because of that.

So there's a lot of factors. Long story short, you should be able to get a clean tone with a Distortion neck, but if you want really clean cleans, a Jazz would be a much safer choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
No the SH6 is not good for cleans

SH2n is nice, but I'm unsure of how it would pair up with the sh6

yeah pretty much. i haven't tried the neck distortion but the bridge isn't great for cleans.

the jazz pairs up fine (IMO), though it's a lot warmer-sounding than the distortion. it depends on whether you want a massive difference between the neck and bridge pickup tones or a closer match.

Quote by Offworld92

Problem with this is that everyone has a different definition and idea of what a "clean" tone is. I hear a lot of people playing "clean" on Youtube or whatever, and it's gritty as hell. To me, not clean at all.

And for whatever reason, a lot of people seem to have issue with picking dynamics, and can't seem to get a clean tone because of that.

So there's a lot of factors. Long story short, you should be able to get a clean tone with a Distortion neck, but if you want really clean cleans, a Jazz would be a much safer choice.

That too. Depends on how you set your amp, too- you can set amps so even high output pickups sound pretty clean if they have separate channels (and depending on the amp) but if you have a single channel amp (or an amp which is more like single channel with boosts rather than two independent channels) then that's harder to do. plus even if you can dial in the amp clean the pickup might not sound so good for cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 24, 2014,
Alright, so ive decided on the Sh-4 and sh-2 combo but I was wondering, would the sh-4 go well with a burstbucker 1? I honestly dont mind the burstbucker 1 in the neck but I dont know how well it would go with a sh-4
I haven't tried a burstbucker with a jb but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have a '59 (also a paf-type pickup) paired with my JB and it balances just fine. whether the tone matches well is another thing, though. it may or it may not.

I'd say get the JB first and see how it matches, but confounding that approach is the fact the JB/Jazz set is a fair bit cheaper than buying the 2 pickups separately. It's kind of up to you, unfortunately. EDIT: ok so it's only a little bit cheaper, ~$15 if MF is anything to go by. It makes a bigger difference here in Europe I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 28, 2014,
I need both pickups to be white and I cant find a jb/jazz set with both being white. I already have burstbuckers 1 and 2 in the guitar now and im short on cash at the moment.
ah ok. but you can get them separately ok in white? if so then probably just get the JB first and see how it matches to the burstbucker. if it doesn't, then get the jazz.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No worries. I was only giving captain obvious quality advice anyway (most of my advice seems to be of that calibre ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The neck does decent (fairly dark) cleans.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.