So I started work on a (brilliant) song about a week ago and I'm struggling to find lyrics for the chorus and even a chord progression.

May I get a bit of direction for places to start the chorus chord progression?

The song starts by bouncing from G and C9. Then for a pre chorus ( thing) it's a case of Em7, Asus2 D7.

At which point the chorus should kick off but don't know where to start. What are some good options? Opening on G would be weird since that's the opening chord of the verse.

Thanks in advance
Use the same mindset that led you to start off by bouncing from G and C9, and using Em7, Asus2 D7 for the pre chorus (thing). I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be (brilliant).

Trust your ear. If you like what you come up with, then its good.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by flaaash
So I started work on a (brilliant) song about a week ago and I'm struggling to find lyrics for the chorus and even a chord progression.

May I get a bit of direction for places to start the chorus chord progression?

The song starts by bouncing from G and C9. Then for a pre chorus ( thing) it's a case of Em7, Asus2 D7.

At which point the chorus should kick off but don't know where to start. What are some good options? Opening on G would be weird since that's the opening chord of the verse.

Thanks in advance

That's interesting, because you just did a ii V I to G by ending the verse like this.

Maybe do a Dm to G to C... or a Cm to F to Bb

You could also write from the vi by going back to Em7...or you could do it in C, the IV of G...and push it back from the IV to V of G, before resolving cadence at the conclusion.

Best,

Sean
The chorus can use exactly the same chords as the verse - that's actually pretty common. Some songs use the same chords throughout the whole song (for example "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk and "Treasure" by Bruno Mars). And you can definitely start the progressions with the same chords. There are lots of songs that start both the verse and chorus with the same chords. But of course if G doesn't feel right, don't play a G.

D7 pretty much wants to go to G. The 7th in the D7 chord just makes the pull to G even stronger.

If it sounds too similar to the verse, come up with a melody that sounds different or a different strumming pattern/rhythm or different dynamics. It's not all about the chords. And that's why songs like Get Lucky work - they use the same chords throughout the song but they use dynamics, different melodies and different instruments for different parts to keep the song interesting.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by flaaash

I think that when people compose like it sounds like you're composing (that is to say, thinking of what you could do academically, rather than by listening for the sound they want to hear) they sometimes have the tendency to do too much.

That is, you think you need to do something, so you change stuff up, throw in more chords, worry too much about repeating yourself.

So many good songs are really simple. What you need is an idea for the chorus - a musical idea. "I want it to sound like THIS." When you find that, the chord progression will fall into shape.
^This is so true. I am guilty of this from time to time and have to remind myself to get out of my own head and back into the song.
Si