The thread title might sound a bit odd, but I'll explain.

I've got a lovely blue mexican fender telecaster.
I'm contemplating putting a couple of stripes on the top right of the body.
On the part of the body where your arm normally rests for picking.

In a vein similar to this
(Invalid img)
But just 2 solid black stripes rather than that

I was wondering how I'd go about doing this?
My plan, was to tape off the areas which I didn't want to be black (I want black stripes) and then use some spray paint on top of it..

However I figured that might be a little slapdash and not actually that effective.

So any advice regarding this would be really helpful.
Depends how permanent you want them to be. You could use some black tape or have black vinyl strips cut to the size you like and then its reversible if you want. If you want to paint it on for sure then have it be permanent, you should scuff the entire surface with around 400 grit to take off all the shine. then tape off and spray your stripe design, then re clear the entire guitar body.

If you just spray the stripes without prep and reclear on you might as well just go the vinyl strips route.
Quote by Fastmerc
Depends how permanent you want them to be. You could use some black tape or have black vinyl strips cut to the size you like and then its reversible if you want. If you want to paint it on for sure then have it be permanent, you should scuff the entire surface with around 400 grit to take off all the shine. then tape off and spray your stripe design, then re clear the entire guitar body.

If you just spray the stripes without prep and reclear on you might as well just go the vinyl strips route.

this^

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6y8BqE-wz3G6xH-Kaiafg

this guy has a ton of videos of him doing evh style paintjobs.

Keep in mind, if you're going to want to upgrade and potentially sell this guitar in the future, nobody is going to want the guitar with poorly spray painted black stripes on it.
Ahhhh, 'go faster' stripes. I have them on my guitar, helps me pick faster. Currently putting some on my car to increase the maximum speed.

You should think about investing into some 'speed holes' as well.

(The question had already been answered. I didn't want to leave without some sort of input)
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.