I'm beginning my first venture into the world of guitar building soon, and I have most of my equipment selected except for the pickups. One requirement for the bridge position is that it must be 4 lead for splitting. I like to play music like Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, etc. I've heard that the Duncan JB is always a good choice, but seeing as this is my first guitar build, I don't want to sink around $70 into a single pickup.

I did some looking and found that the JB is an Alnico V bar magnet with 16.4k resistance. I've found 2 sets of pickups with approximately the same specs: GFS Fat Pat (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Black-Bridge-Position_p_77.html) and the Dragonfire Vintage Buckers (http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Vintage-Buckers-Pickup-Set-Your-Choice-of-Colors-2115.htm).

My questions are, would these pickups be similar to a JB, and would these two pickups that I mentioned deliver on the sound that I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Lumine
Last edited by Lumine at Jul 24, 2014,
It stands to reason that they would be similar. The descriptions are quite close. I would like to know myself as I was looking at these same pickups.
I will vouch for the quality of the Dragonfire pickups. I have a set of screamers in my LTD Explorer and I love them. I do kind of wish they sold them in singles as I don't want a matched set on the guitar I'm currently building.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I have a guitar with a SH4 JB and it will deff work for what your doing. I also have several GFS pickups and the Fat Pat is one of my favorite. I actually replaced 8a Dimarzio Super Distortion with the Fat Pat and I have not looked back. It is similar to a JB, but is not as middy feeling to me (it has plenty of mids, but seems to have more bass and an "open" feel the JB doesn't)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 24, 2014,
Alright, thanks for the input! Does anyone here have experience with the Dragonfire Vintage Buckers? If the Dragonfire quality is good, it almost seems like they might be the way to go since they are essentially the same as the GFS Fat Pats. (Especially since this is just a simple project guitar.)
Just get a used JB on eBay. They're ridiculously common, and shouldn't run you more than $45 or so.

I have a Fat Pat set. Meh. I haven't heard good things about Dragonfire.

I was interested in cheap pickups for a while, but now I'm pretty much exclusively a Seymour Duncan guy. I have personally found that you get what you pay for. But I know lots of other stuff works for other people. SD just works for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X