I know these questions have been asked a thousand times, but why not another?

I'm a pedal junkie whose finally putting a board together. I have an SD-1 for OD and need an actual drive/distortion to complement my setup.

My budget is up to 150-175 CAD but I prefer to lowball it. I know you're thinking "Just save for a high quality stack/head/amp", this isn't my situation right now and won't be for another two years, until then I strive for a pedal that'll staisfy my recording and practicing needs and will be marketable when I'm ready to invest in a killer stack or two.

I'm looking for something that'll do great with tones by metallica (think, MOP AJFA), pantera (Cowboys, Vulgar), alice in chains (Dirt and AIC), RATM and Tool (I love that dirty/crunchy loud rock tone, they nail it) and if you think it can handle it, meshuggah. I say Meshuggah because come recording/producing I'll be layering tracks like a mofo and will hope to acheive that tight, crushing sound occasionally, I don't expect a pedal to give me that sound out of the box.

I'm interested in Pro Co Rat but am worried it wont be enough for a heavy-thrash sound, or a huge Jerry Cantrell tone but will provide me with my dirty Tool sound.
Also, Metal Muff seems great but alot of people say it may as well bite the dust with MT-2 (And no, im not even looking the Boss way) in terms of a full tone.
Tech's GT-2 seems cool but after demo-ing it at a local shop, it didn't really satisfy my ears, I could always give it another go, though.

Well, tl;d, 150-175 CAD, metallica to AIC to Tool, I like all the big names but dont want to end up with a metal-zone quality sound, I want a really full, strong versatile metal/thrash/rock sound.

Thanks for your input and if you have pros/cons about these or other pedals to share about, please comment.
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Analog pedals don't create great tones by themselves. They only shape the tone of your amp and different pedals sound very differently based on the amp they are feeding. What amp are you feeding?

If you are looking for a great stand-alone pedal it probably needs to be a DME.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Analog pedals don't create great tones by themselves. They only shape the tone of your amp and different pedals sound very differently based on the amp they are feeding. What amp are you feeding?

If you are looking for a great stand-alone pedal it probably needs to be a DME.

I googled "DME pedal" but didn't get what I was looking for. What do you mean by DME?

But your input about analog makes alot of sense, which is why its so subjective using an these pedals in store on diff amps when what ill use at home is nothing like the store

Additionally, I'm feeding a hybrid bass amp, eden metro 2x10 combo. I know what you're thinking, I definitely don't crank this thing with my six-string and certainly can't due to living in an appt. building. But it's great for recording with and practicing with my guitars and bass.
Current Gear:
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Last edited by dudester410 at Jul 24, 2014,
After some forum searching, I assume you mean digital modeling effects, like a rack-mount or something alike, right?
Current Gear:
Boss GT-6
On the note of metal muff, I have had mine for about about three years or so. It was my first pedal about 2 years into learning guitar, so needless to say I, I had not a clue on how to get a good tone out of it. Took a bit of trial an error, but I learned how to work the pedal; it does everything I want and more; and truly despite it being called "metal muff" I use it many more genres even on the crunchier side of things
DME= Digital multi-effects pedal (Vox Tonelab, Pod, AXE, etc.) It is probably your best option running into a SS or hybrid amp. Analog OD and distortion pedals are all designed to push and shape a tube amp input and usually sound pretty awful when they hit SS transistors.

A used Pod or Tonelab can be found for less than $100 and would deliver excellent results through your bass amp. That is what I would do short of choosing another guitar amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 24, 2014,
a rat is nice. it might get heavy enough if you use the sd1 to boost it (or it might not). it'd be worth a try, though (in a shop i mean).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thetinysurvivor
On the note of metal muff, I have had mine for about about three years or so. It was my first pedal about 2 years into learning guitar, so needless to say I, I had not a clue on how to get a good tone out of it. Took a bit of trial an error, but I learned how to work the pedal; it does everything I want and more; and truly despite it being called "metal muff" I use it many more genres even on the crunchier side of things

Thanks, I've heard alot of good things about it and it sounds pretty reasonable to me. Does it sound too cheap or like a hissy high-gain distortion? Would you want to swap it for another same type of pedal? Good to know its versatile.

Quote by Cajundaddy
DME= Digital multi-effects pedal (Vox Tonelab, Pod, AXE, etc.) It is probably your best option running into a SS or hybrid amp. Analog OD and distortion pedals are all designed to push and shape a tube amp input and usually sound pretty awful when they hit SS transistors.

A used Pod or Tonelab can be found for less than $100 and would deliver excellent results through your bass amp. That is what I would do short of choosing another guitar amp.

I'm currently selling my boss gt-6 cause I'm finally ready to go from having a multi to having a bunch of stompboxes. I know the gt-6 is no where the caliber of DME's or the ones you listed, but as much as I enjoy the flexibility, I hate the digital quality of the unit. I want a real, solid tone, not what my boss is spitting out. If there's some available for a reasonable price that give a quality distortion, i'll give it a go. I'll look into the models you listed and if you have any you'd recommend for distortion purposes I'll look into them too.

Quote by Dave_Mc
a rat is nice. it might get heavy enough if you use the sd1 to boost it (or it might not). it'd be worth a try, though (in a shop i mean).

That's how I feel about it, I'm definitely going to give it a go before investing in one. For thrash it seems its the perfect fit, for any heavier though seems to be pushing it, though I've never tried one. nor have I taken the brand/make serious until today.
Current Gear:
Boss GT-6
yeah. it's more of a straight-ahead distortion than an out-and-out metal distortion (though it does get fairly heavy, and a boost will help). Fairly marshall-ish sounding, so for thrash might be fine (I think metallica used them on the first album? don't quote me on that).

i have the mooer clone, just to clarify.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?