Would love to to buy a Gibson version but can't pull that right now so was thinking about getting a epi. Has anyone ever played one and do they sound good? I have a Gibson SG 61 reissue and a epi les Paul and both sound great. Just want some input to make sure the guitar is not crap. Thanks!
The G1275 thing sounds very well compared to its price. One of the most pricey guitar in Epi catalogue...
Yeah my epi les Paul sounds great just wanted to make sure it did too b4 I forked out a grand
Have you actually played one? Are you sure it's really what you need?

I can understand the thing about it being a dream guitar, but I used to own a doubleneck (admittedly not the Epiphone) and once the novelty wore off, it become nothing more than an expensive ornament.

The main negatives for me:

• They're extremely heavy - understandable considering they are essentially two guitars.

• How often do you really need to switch from 6 to 12 string? How often does that happen mid-song? I found its a very rare thing (obviously this will be different for everyone), so you end up having a guitar solely used in one or two songs and you still have to switch guitars between songs anyway.

• Sometimes, the 6 string neck gets in your way when you're trying to play the 12 string neck, which can make them particularly difficult to play

Don't let me put you off your dream, obviously YMMV, just be very sure you're doing the right thing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 25, 2014,
If your buying used be careful, Epiphone made 2 versions of that guitar one with Mahogany body and the other had a plywood body.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you actually played one? Are you sure it's really what you need?

Good points. I've had doublenecks (still have one) over the years, but mine have mostly lived under the bed in their cases. They're usually just too heavy and too awkward to use on a regular basis. It's a showpiece that gets hauled out for Stairway and Hotel California when there are people around.

These days, a Variax does the 12-string to 6-string thing better, with a single neck and modeling technology, though it doesn't look as showy.
Just wanting it to play and for a show piece. Don't do very many gigs just have always wanted one.
In that case, if you just want it to look at and for the occasional novelty playing session, watch out on sites like ebay for a used no-name Chinese copy.

They exist out there even if they aren't that common, they look good, and can be had for a 5th of the price you'll pay for the Epiphone.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Maybe even email Kurt at Rondomusic, maybe they'll even do an Agile version some day.

EDIT: Spoke way too soon, it's been done.

Agile Valkyrie Double Neck. Wait for one of these on eBay, then get it.

This is likely a dead link now, but all of their pages still exist for some reason. Anyway, check it out: http://www.rondomusic.com/doublevalkyrie.html

And lastly, speak of the devil, there actually, against all odds, happens to be one on eBay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Agile-Valkyrie-Cherry-Double-Neck-6-12-String-Electric-Guitar-W-Case-/351123879896?pt=Guitar&hash=item51c09d37d8

Snatch it!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 26, 2014,
^ An Agile beats a Chinese copy any day of the week!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Probably beats the Epiphone too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GaryBillington

Quote by Offworld92
Probably beats the Epiphone too.

The Agiles don't even look like a SG-doubleneck

BTW, the (new) Epi doublenecks are Korean made....
Quote by paruwi

I'm not sure that's a requirement.
Quote by Offworld92

Agile Valkyrie Double Neck. Wait for one of these on eBay, then get it.

This is likely a dead link now, but all of their pages still exist for some reason. Anyway, check it out:
It isn't as much of a dead link, as an old link. Rondo shows the Valkyrie Double Neck as in stock, ready to ship. But the price is @ $659.95, not the nickel in your old link.

http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriedoublewhtwc.html

Of course, used on Ebay would obviously be cheaper.
Quote by paruwi
:
The "Valkyrie" is Agile's "interpretation", of the Gibson style SG. It's just far enough of being an exact to avoid it becoming a, "lawsuit guitar".
Quote by paruwi

BTW, the (new) Epi doublenecks are Korean made....

Jeez, I just bought an Epi EJ-200 SCE and it's stickered as being from Indonesia.

I think Cort has a facility there....Is my Epi really a Cort....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that's a requirement.

I think he said it like this....

Would love to to buy a Gibson version but can't pull that right now so was thinking about getting a epi.
Quote by Captaincranky
Jeez, I just bought an Epi EJ-200 SCE and it's stickered as being from Indonesia.

I think Cort has a facility there....Is my Epi really a Cort....

It's made at the Samick factory in Bogor, Indonesia,
one of the biggest factories producing music-equipment.....
Quote by paruwi
It's made at the Samick factory in Bogor, Indonesia,
one of the biggest factories producing music-equipment.....
Thanks for the heads up on that...

In any case, the argument sort of boils down to , "is it a showpiece, or are you going to play it"?

Agile's version (new) is $659.95 (w/case). The going rate for the Epi 1275 is a grand/ NO case.

However, you can easily get free shipping on the Epi, not so with the Agile

I think there's more status in the Epiphone name, although that's perhaps a bit subjective.

The Agile isn't all that far off the Epi as far as cosmetics go. And "arguably", (really, really, arguably, since I've seen so many, Agile Les Paul, vs. Epi Les Paul threads here), the Agile version would at least equal the Epiphone in sound and playability.. That said, the Agile double neck has ceramic pickups., the same as their lowest line Paul models.

If there's any historical or nostalgia based motivation to this purchase, then our TS should bite the bullet and grab the more expensive Epiphone 1275. The wine over mahogany is quite distinctive, and was also played/destroyed by Pete Townshend in many of his stage extravaganzas. (In standard SG single necks, of course).

These, "I gotta have a double neck" threads are sometimes a bit whimsical, when you consider Jimmy Page never recorded "Stairway to Heaven" on his. This I found in an interview, I think in GP magazine. He even found it amusing that people thought he did. Given the time period, I'd say it was a fair to good chance he used one of the Guild Jumbos, that were prevalent in those years... 6 string Martin, 12 string Guild, was the basic order of the era.

I found Mr. Page playing this.
Who could resist posting it?
Quote by paruwi

They're close enough to fool the uneducated

The way I see it, someone who doesn't know guitars would be impressed with either, all they'd see is something unusual and impressive looking (although they'd even be impressed with a no-name Chinese copy). Someone who does know guitars would understand that the Agile is arguably the more sensible choice.

Another idea:
http://www.guitar-kits.co.uk/double-guitar-kits/double-flying-v.html

Not the SG shape, but could be an interesting project. (Also not sure where TS is, obviously that's a UK site)
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ya missed (?) this Gary, and on the same site: http://www.guitar-kits.co.uk/electric-guitar-kits/double-sg-style-kits.html

That's so darn cheap you could almost afford to have both kits shipped from Britain to the US. The SG for waxing nostalgic, and the flying V when you need to look fierce.

OK, I just rechecked and they're out of the SG style kit. OTOH, they do have Strat and Tele double neck kits in stock..
^ Yeah, I just went for the one that was most different! #feelingcontroversial
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud