So I'm getting my old kit out of storage which will require new heads, just wondering I know there's loads of good brands out there but what brand would you drummers recommend in particular that doesn't break the bank too much.

P.S. I don't consider myself to be a real drummer I'm using it for my home studio and want to expand my knowledge of drums.
Aquarian tends to have the cheapest ones out there, at least when you buy singles. I recently started using their heads on my snares and have been pleasantly surprised. Enough to buy all new heads from them for my vintage Ludwig kit and they sound great!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If I'm honest, the main 3 drumhead manufacturers (Aquarian, Evans, Remo) are all basically the same, except Evans uses a steeper collar (edge) shape, and Remo's coating comes off much more quickly than the other two.

Other than that, they all cost about the same, sound about the same and last about the same if they're the same construction.

A good balance of characteristics are two-ply heads (coated on snare, clear on toms and bass drum is the usual thing), so look out for heads like Aquarian Response 2s, Evans G2s, Remo Emperors for toms and snare and Aquarian Super Kicks, Evans EMADs and Remo Powerstrokes for bass drums.

I can go into more detail, ask if you have any questions or want more info
Quote by Lordyboy
If I'm honest, the main 3 drumhead manufacturers (Aquarian, Evans, Remo) are all basically the same, except Evans uses a steeper collar (edge) shape, and Remo's coating comes off much more quickly than the other two.

Other than that, they all cost about the same, sound about the same and last about the same if they're the same construction.

A good balance of characteristics are two-ply heads (coated on snare, clear on toms and bass drum is the usual thing), so look out for heads like Aquarian Response 2s, Evans G2s, Remo Emperors for toms and snare and Aquarian Super Kicks, Evans EMADs and Remo Powerstrokes for bass drums.

I can go into more detail, ask if you have any questions or want more info

Pretty much +1 to all of this.

Only thing I can say is - I've never had an issue with the coating on my Remo heads... I'm assuming you're using brushes, though? I used to be a die-hard Evans guy, but now the only drum I own that has an Evans head on it is my 14x8" walnut stave, that has an ST Dry on it cause it's insanely ringy.

Also - I <3 the Fiberskyn reso head I put on my Oak Customs. Sounds freaking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It's also nice that it came off of a Craviotto kit, so everyone who sees it thinks I have this awesome $5000 set
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've never had an issue with the coating on my Remo heads... I'm assuming you're using brushes, though?

Not often, really I only play with brushes for acoustic sets (and then I still don't use 'proper' brush technique then). I just feel that there's no point of coated heads if the area you're striking has had the coating chipped off so its just like hitting a smooth white head.
I've had it happen to me with pretty much all the Remo coateds I've used (a few Emperor X and a couple of Ambassadors), after really short periods of time, but the full set of Aquarians I have on now are holding up very well
Quote by Lordyboy
Not often, really I only play with brushes for acoustic sets (and then I still don't use 'proper' brush technique then). I just feel that there's no point of coated heads if the area you're striking has had the coating chipped off so its just like hitting a smooth white head.
I've had it happen to me with pretty much all the Remo coateds I've used (a few Emperor X and a couple of Ambassadors), after really short periods of time, but the full set of Aquarians I have on now are holding up very well

Weird. I've never had the coating strip on any brand of head I've ever owned, unless it had a center dot and started separating around the dot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com