I play in a progressive metalcore/melodic hardcore band and was wondering which would be the better option...I currently own the 6505+ and I have the ability to get the duel rectifier for a couple hundred more. Here's an example of what we play.

Sunwalker - Wander
The Dual Rectifier can probably be dialed in to have a better clean sound, but the 6505+ with a boost is already in the right zone for the distorted tones. You should try it out, but the Dual Rectifier might need a boost to get that kind of a percussive sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
You mean it is a duel between Mesa and 6505?

Easy way to try and modify the clean channel on the 6505 with a lower voltage tube, like 12ay7:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AY7-Tube-Review

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Guitar-Amp-Info/Gain-Factor
If money is not an issue, I'd go with the Mesa Dual Rectifier. Without a shred of doubt.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
What kind of Dual Rectifier is it?

If it's an old 2 Channel, it might be worth considering, but probably won't be any better than your 6505+.

If it's any other type of Dual Rec, it's not worth considering against your 6505+.

Also just remembered who you were. Did you ever see the PM I sent you?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think a 6505+ is already the better amp for your genre, TS.

Out of the 8 or so Dual Recs I've tried (mostly heads), I have never understood what all of the hype was about. And I spent considerable time trying to dial them in. Granted, I have never tried one with a boost pedal -- which I am convinced they sorely need, otherwise, their tone is decent but just kind of "mushy" if you will. Maybe an OD up front really changes that. I'd like to try it.

I don't play metalcore, but with a 6505+, that genre is already in the bag. Even without a boost they are tight enough for those kinds of riffs (especially if you can turn them up LOUD).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ yeah the Rectos I've played weren't that great until I boosted them, but boosted they were monstrous. My old 2 channel was such a beast on the vintage gain with a boost up front, I had that at the same time as my 6505+ combo. I ran them through the same cab, and while the 6505+ had it on leads, the Recto was so beastly that I couldn't help but plug into that every time I picked up the guitar.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by PRSLover17
I plan on putting a TS9 screamer in front of it, I do the same to my 6505

I still have the MB Dual and Triple Rec 2-channels and I've also played around with the older and Reborn 3-channel versions.

There are some variations in the tone but I suspect you already knew that and just want a different way of delivering carnage. I say try them out or go for it.

Seriously, nobody is going to go ewww if you went with a 3-channel, specially if you played with some competence.
I for one love the single and dual rectifiers, dual seems to be where I find the best metal tones, in some cases boosted, depends on the guitar. Can't say I have much love for the triple recto but if you have rich parents and you play in a metalcore band...why not?
Quote by Offworld92
What kind of Dual Rectifier is it?

If it's an old 2 Channel, it might be worth considering, but probably won't be any better than your 6505+.

If it's any other type of Dual Rec, it's not worth considering against your 6505+.

Also just remembered who you were. Did you ever see the PM I sent you?

I have 0 PMS total so no, I didn't see your PM lol. Maybe you sent it to the wrong person.

It's a 3 channel, without the wattage selector for each channel which is kind of a bummer. The only reason I'm considering it is because I play more than just metalcore, I'm really into progressive metal/rock and the cleans on the 6505+ are pretty meh...
Quote by PRSLover17
I have 0 PMS total so no, I didn't see your PM lol. Maybe you sent it to the wrong person.

It's a 3 channel, without the wattage selector for each channel which is kind of a bummer. The only reason I'm considering it is because I play more than just metalcore, I'm really into progressive metal/rock and the cleans on the 6505+ are pretty meh...

Yeah, I'd definitely skip on that Recto.

Recto cleans aren't going to be notably better than cleans you get on your Plus anyway. With the separate EQ, you should be able to get good cleans on your Plus. Play with your EQ, try boosting your highs a little and cutting your bass a little.

As for PMs, I definitely sent it, it's in my Sent folder still. But UG's PM system is pretty notorious for being terrible. Are you getting to your PMs from "Profile" in the top right of a forum page, then "My Messages" in the left hand column?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
6505+ is my pick over the here non-multi-watt three channel amp.

Are you using all three channels on the +?

A lower gain 12A_7 helps the clean channel. It does break up early and fight balancing out the the other channels at volume. Channels 2&3 slay that model recto, at least in ears.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Mesa hands down all year long in a choice between those two amps. If it was a 5153 then id say get that.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by R45VT

A lower gain 12A_7 helps the clean channel. It does break up early and fight balancing out the the other channels at volume. Channels 2&3 slay that model recto, at least in ears.

This. I've actually taken it a step further with mine and run a 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 in the PI position (both are lower-gain than a 12AX7). Cleans are vastly better than a stock 6505+. I can't overstate how much of a difference it makes. Also, I prefer the lead channel this way as well. It sounds much more clear and makes your preamp gain knob more useful.

Even with active pups, I get a very decent clean tone. Mind you, I always add reverb/delay with a slight modulation to my cleans. Those help a 6505 as well (plus, for my genre of music, cleans really aren't ever used without some effects on top anyway).

With lower-output passive pickups, it sounds downright warm and smooth.

Getting bad cleans on a 6505+ is user-error/ignorance.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ do consider that the 6505+ 112 actually has a better clean channel than the big brother.
^^Didn't realize that. I guess every time I've played the 120 watt head I just went straight for the br00tz.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I know Offword has some clips of his 6505+ doing some decent cleans but the Recto has much better cleans IMO. My Single Rec Rectoverb has pretty glorious cleans IMO. You've got more options in your distorted tones as well. Now that you mention some of the other stuff you play an older 2 channel MKII Recto will probably work well for you. I got mine for $490.

That said, the 6505+ is simply a killer amp no doubt (as you know). And I agree that the 6505+112 has better cleans due its design.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know Offword has some clips of his 6505+ doing some decent cleans but the Recto has much better cleans IMO. My Single Rec Rectoverb has pretty glorious cleans IMO. You've got more options in your distorted tones as well. Now that you mention some of the other stuff you play an older 2 channel MKII Recto will probably work well for you. I got mine for $490.

That said, the 6505+ is simply a killer amp no doubt (as you know). And I agree that the 6505+112 has better cleans due its design.

Incorrect, head has better cleans, i owned 112 version for 2 years and then got the head version. Head version has definitely better cleans, which are actually clean, on the combo variant cleans almost always have slight overdrive.

The only thing why combot might "sound" better because it has reverb. But if reverb is turned off cleans are worse when compared with the head.
Last edited by Reages at Jul 27, 2014,
I think "incorrect" requires a bit more than anecdotal evidence to be a justified statement. Especially seeing as there is currently more anecdotal evidence in opposition.
There are lots of good feedback from those who have actually owned the amps recommended; so, it's time to remind ourselves that tone is subjective.

Clean is subjective ... it is only better for the individual. MB offers so many variations of the Recto in terms of features and the carnage they can deliver. It'll be beneficial to read up on specs; then, audition for the tone. Check out the RectoVerb that 311 suggested along with the TremOVerb, Roadster, Road King, etc. Also, compare the 6505+ head and combo. Spend a day or week doing so. Should be fun. Might as well check out the JSX since it's everywhere.