Sounds like a ds1 or maybe fuzz or just lots of gain with treble. Pretty basic sound though, just dime your gain.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i wouldn't use that much gain. i could get that sound with just an amp. it also sounds like he is far micing the amp in the studio, giving it a bit of lo-fi sound.

edit: cool song btw. love that album
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i wouldn't use that much gain. i could get that sound with just an amp. it also sounds like he is far micing the amp in the studio, giving it a bit of lo-fi sound.

edit: cool song btw. love that album

it never crossed my mind that this sound could be achieved by far-micing the cab lol
and "lo-fi" was the exactly the definition i was looking for to describe that sound.

which amps could make a sound like that by the way?
it sounds a lot like off! which i think use high watts
or is it some kind of marshall?
Quote by RiceAgainst
it never crossed my mind that this sound could be achieved by far-micing the cab lol
and "lo-fi" was the exactly the definition i was looking for to describe that sound.

which amps could make a sound like that by the way?
it sounds a lot like off! which i think use high watts
or is it some kind of marshall?

i wouldn't get too hung up on 'which amp'. i would probably start with my silvertone 1x12 (cheap tweed deluxe knockoff). but i am sure i could get that sound with a music man or one of my valco's. maybe my JTM45 clone could get it too.

i listened to it again, you may also be able to use a fuzz on a low gain setting to get that sound as well
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by RiceAgainst
how is he doing that "bah bah bah" sound at the first riff xD

He's just playing guitar, I don't hear ANY kind of unique technique here. Just strumming, all down picked for the most part.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i know its downpicked... but the beginning riff sounds almost like it has a wah wah effect...
Quote by RiceAgainst
i know its downpicked... but the beginning riff sounds almost like it has a wah wah effect...

Like at the very beginning of the song? There's definitely no wah effect on this. It's probably just because of the lo-fi technique that some frequencies were cut drastically, which is similar to what a wah does, more or less.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Like at the very beginning of the song? There's definitely no wah effect on this. It's probably just because of the lo-fi technique that some frequencies were cut drastically, which is similar to what a wah does, more or less.

I agree. No wah, but the effect is probably from strumming technique. I can strum rhythm parts that you would swear I'm using a wah pedal, but it's just alternate picking from lower strings to higher strings & muting just right. Freaks guys out a bit when they hear me do it, & it's actually really easy.
This clip doesn't really sound like alternate picking though. As stated, it's probably all downstrokes because it sounds very consistent. Maybe find a live performance video of it & watch the right hand technique?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011