Page 1 of 3
Ive been playing acoustic guitar for a while and have had good progress. I would really prefer to play an electric guitar, because of my preferred music, so I want to get one but whenever I bring it up with my mom, she says " but you cant even play a song" in a condescending fashion. She thinks whether or not I can completely play a song determines if I actually know how to play guitar. Ive been learning what I like to (intros, riffs, solos), and a lot of songs are comprised of just a riff anyway so technically, I can play some songs. She has the wrong opinion on what is a wager of my skill and progress and it is really aggravating. Basically, she thinks I suck at guitar because she has never seen me play a full song

EDIT: Please read my posts on page 3. My clarification and realizations are there.
Last edited by metalupyourmax at Jul 25, 2014,
wow TS that is really sad I feel for you brother

Keep the faith though, metal lives on!
You'll get there someday!
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Then play a full song for her, dumbass. It's not that hard.
EDIT: Can't believe I forgot the most important thing.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 25, 2014,
so suck it up and learn some songs and show her you're serious about it? there is nothing strange about her being hesitant to pay for a hobby you might just quit in a month.

And don't you want to learn songs anyway?
guy stop being rude we've got a fellow metalhead that wants to live the rock dream and become a rock god and his mum is just another obstacle in his way so please be more considerate

fight the system TS!
I thought this was that one guy that's mom said that he "sucks miserably" at guitar lol
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
If you want your mom to buy you an electric (not sure if that's your situation, OP didn't say) then she probably wants evidence of not just you "being serious" but moreso having the dedication to learning an instrument and subsequently songs.

But if she's against it and it's your money then yeah screw her you can't stop rock and roll
Quote by Skullivan

But if she's against it and it's your money then yeah screw her you can't stop rock and roll

Rock on Brother
Death To All But Metal!!!
that sucks TS
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Baby Joel
guy stop being rude we've got a fellow metalhead that wants to live the rock dream and become a rock god and his mum is just another obstacle in his way so please be more considerate

fight the system TS!

Oh yeah.

step 1: be more metal
step 2: stop being a faggit and be more metal

just learn solos and riffs on your acoustic, then pick up your guitar and kill your mother with it. good luck
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Learn Stairway and play that to her
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by metalupyourmax
Ive been playing acoustic guitar for a while and have had good progress. I would really prefer to play an electric guitar, because of my preferred music, so I want to get one but whenever I bring it up with my mom, she says " but you cant even play a song"

how is your mum gonna par you like that
Kid I've composed over 100 songs and I've released 7 albums, I can play maybe 3 songs in full on guitar. I can play 8 songs on guitar if you count ones that I wrote.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 25, 2014,
Quote by stratkat
Kid I've composed over 100 songs and I've released 7 albums, I can play maybe 3 songs in full on guitar. I can play 8 songs on guitar if you count ones that I wrote.

yeah, i don't see the point in learning someone else's song in full. learn their chord structures and main melodic ideas i suppose, but learning it back to front then playing over it on a record is an amateur's goal.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Baby Joel
Rock on Brother

Right on my man!

Quote by laid-to-waste
learning it back to front then playing over it on a record is an amateur's goal.

it's fun
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Baby Joel
wow TS that is really sad I feel for you brother

Keep the faith though, metal lives on!
You'll get there someday!

Quote by Baby Joel

fight the system TS!

Quote by Baby Joel
Rock on Brother

Quote by damian_91
that sucks TS

Quote by laid-to-waste
step 1: be more metal
step 2: stop being a faggit and be more metal

just learn solos and riffs on your acoustic, then pick up your guitar and kill your mother with it. good luck :

Quote by The Judist
Learn Stairway and play that to her

Quote by mickel_w
Right on my man!

http://biblehub.com/john/11-35.htm
TS, I feel for you.

Does your mother enjoy shIt music or does she play an instrument?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Maybe you should just try and earn the money yourself once you have saved half the money she will see you are serious about your commitment and have a change of heart.
Maybe TS should realize he's a failure and stop playing. I mean, even yo mama says you're bad son.
Quote by laid-to-waste
yeah, i don't see the point in learning someone else's song in full. learn their chord structures and main melodic ideas i suppose, but learning it back to front then playing over it on a record is an amateur's goal.

Yeah, it's like, where do classical players get off learning other people's shit? Write your own classical music.
PM me for newts
Quote by laid-to-waste

Actually, playing a song (or even a record) note for note is a good way to understand the guitarist's style. I know Marty Friedman, heralded for his unorthodox but still catchy playing, said he would learn albums front to back by ear, which really helped him learn what he wanted to do sonically as applied to the guitar.
Quote by Skullivan
Actually, playing a song (or even a record) note for note is a good way to understand the guitarist's style. I know Marty Friedman, heralded for his unorthodox but still catchy playing, said he would learn albums front to back by ear, which really helped him learn what he wanted to do sonically as applied to the guitar.

This, just about every notable guitarist will always say that they would sit for hours and figure out albums by ear note for note. Eric Clapton being one that comes to my mind.

And he's God.

It develops your skills tremendously, gives understanding to the music, and is fun as shit

As for you TS, my mom was similar way back when in that I'd always play along with songs and she wanted to hear me play alone before she would be convinced that I was serious. So I started a band lol. If that's not viable, then just simply play a song for her, whether it be a thrown together original or a cover. Just make the point that you're serious clear.

Don't forget to while playing and not her like Philip would after, you should be fine.
Last edited by fLYinGV23 at Jul 25, 2014,
Get a job and buy it yourself.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by willT08
how is your mum gonna par you like that

I know right TS what you doing?
Go learn a 4 chord pop song then tell her to shut her hole or I'm cutting her off at night. That's right ts I'm railing your mum. Go learn a 4 chord song.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by jugglingfreak
(Invalid img)

No I only use #hashtags
Page 1 of 3