Hi,
I've got a new tube amp, which has 2 inputs: normal & bright. According to the manual, they both can be used at the same time (two guitars). But now I thought, that I could use this to plug my microphone (with an adapter) into the second channel, so I could play the guitar and sing, or perhaps stream a backing track in there.

TL;DR: My question: is it safe? Won't this damage anything in the amp?

PS.
I know that there are acoustic amps which do that, but I finally found this one, and I absolutely love the sound. Isn't the construction more or less the same when it comes to normal amps and acoustic ones?
I don't know if you would really damage anything assuming you don't have a wall eat tingly bassy voice, but I doubt it will sound too good. Electric Guitar amps are designed with a somewhat narrow frequency range in mind, so they aren't ideal for vocals. There may actually be problems with doing it as well, but I'm not sure, so I'll wait for someone else to confirm.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Completely safe. Probs gonna sound balls tho.

I've never heard two inputs sound good used at the same time tho. Usually multiple inputs are intended to give a choice of different input levels (or in your case, brightness), not two different signals through the one amp. It's curious that yours claims to. Which amp it this?
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Last edited by Danustar at Jul 25, 2014,
It won't hurt anything. But usually when you have two inputs, one is a lower impedance. And when you use both then both are lower impedance. The mic may not send a strong enough signal to be useable. But you can certainly try it.
Not ideal, but it is possible. I've done it with my own amp once, to make announcements at an event where I played guitar.

Guitar amps are typically made to color the guitar's tone, so the same thing will happen to your voice through the mic. Hence, you will sound different. Usually crappy.

Also, if you use the mic on the gain channel you will sound like some kinda monster. I speak from experience.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
It's safe.

It's just not great to listen to.

It will sound a bit as if you'd tossed a blanket over the singer.

Acoustic guitar amps aren't constructed the same as guitar amps. The good ones, like this Carvin AG100D, have a much wider frequency response, thanks to a closed-back ported woofer and a horn tweeter. It has response similar to a PA system. In addition, this particular amp has three separate inputs -- one designed for guitar, one designed for a vocal mike and one capable of handling bass or keyboards.

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 25, 2014,
Quote by PsiGuy60

Also, if you use the mic on the gain channel you will sound like some kinda monster. I speak from experience.

Mmmmm...sometimes...that's the point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Don't do it, man. Think of the children.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Danustar
It's curious that yours claims to. Which amp it this?

It's a Fender Vaporizer. They are indeed two separate channels, using two at once is only mentioned in the manual as a 'you can' option.
As others have said, it's not ideal in most situations. I have heard of people doing this kind of thing to establish a distorted vocal sound in heavier genres, and I've heard of some screaming into pickups and having it come out of the amp. Don't ask who did this, I didn't bother to ask. Only if you're a screamer, I guess, would I suggest this, so you'd need to have your gain cranked all the way.
Quote by chrismendiola
As others have said, it's not ideal in most situations. I have heard of people doing this kind of thing to establish a distorted vocal sound in heavier genres

I was only asking, because it's very convenient for me at the moment (on a tight budget). So far, I can't tell for sure, but it sounds surprisingly clean when I hear myself. The amp has generally, very pleasant clean channel; in fact they're both clean. I don't play loud enough to distort my voice, and for the guitar input I use a distortion pedal.

It's just temporary I think, but I'm very happy with what I hear