Hi Everyone

Im looking for some input regarding buying headphones for a roland cube 40xl for home practice.I mostly like to play metal,rock and alternative.My budget is probably £100

I have been looking at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406300504&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m50x

But i am a bit unsure if it will meet my needs as i bought sennheiser rs180 a while ago and it didnt really work out.Is there a risk i could blow the headphones speakers if i go too loud?

Thank You
My list of preference is:
- K240 mkII (60ohm version)
- ATH-M50 (or M-50x)
- MDR-7510

What do you mean by "it didn't really work out" with the rs180?

Also no, while it's theoretically possible to destroy a pair of headphones' dynamic driver, you'd go deaf (or your ears will at least hurt a lot) before you actually do destroy the drivers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi Spambot

The rs180 goes very distorted when the device it is connected to gets too loud.It happens with my amp and also my stereo but not my tablet,tv or mp3 player.I think its a built in safety measure which is telling you are going to damage your hearing.Whilst its a good idea it should be my decision how loud i want to go.

Im sorry if i havent explained it clearly.

Do you use any of your recommendations?

Ta
Quote by smittyanthrax
The rs180 goes very distorted when the device it is connected to gets too loud. It happens with my amp and also my stereo but not my tablet, tv or mp3 player.
That is what happens when you drive output stages too hard - you overload them, and they distort your signal.
Your amp and stereo have an output impedance that your headphones' input didn't like.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Do you use any of your recommendations?
I personally don't use headphones that expensive, I stick to cheap earphones and a pair of rha sa950i.

I have personally tested all of those headphones though, hence I recommend them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Thanks for the help.i think I will try ath 50x as Ive read nothing but outstanding reviews.how do the driver outputs handle on the 50x?
I think it might be that the headphone preamp in your Cube wasn't well designed to begin with. So far all the amps I've had have been disappointing in that regard. Same thing with budget mixers. Not sure what to tell you, maybe run the CUbe into PC via its USB and use the PC headphone outs?
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 25, 2014,
How about just going guitar to PC with guitar emulation package? You can probably get better results that way. I think you might need to invest in a 1/4 to usb converter (about $20) and you're good to go with something like LePou sims...or try different headphones.
Honestly, for that kind of task I wouldn't spend much, maybe $20 Radio Shack headphones, not that anything is wrong with quality headphones here but you might be overspending for that purpose.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11694070
I know what you mean by overspending.ive seen some well rated sennheisers and audio technica headphones from £20-£50 which im intrested in.i really want to use the amp rather than a pc as ive bought quite a collection of pedals which I want to get my moneys worth.im not looking to record or anything complex like that I just dont want to bother others while I doodle.my budget is defo £100 which is a decent amount to spend as I want some quality.
Quality might be unattainable, that's what I am trying to point out. If your headphone out is shite and most likely is, you can't fix it afterwards. Try one more pair but I am afraid it is the amp. Personally, I got a HK Redbox do just because of same issue, I use the line out or fx send on mine.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 25, 2014,
Ah I see what you mean.i will maybe try a few phones from amazon see what theyre like and if dont like them ill just return them . Thanks for your input its appreciated.
Quote by diabolical
Honestly, for that kind of task I wouldn't spend much, maybe $20 Radio Shack headphones, not that anything is wrong with quality headphones here but you might be overspending for that purpose.
Have you ever tried a pair of mid quality headphones, say the ATH-M50 or the Sony MDR-7506?

If they get used, headphones are something it's important to spend a bit on if ya ask me.

As for the cube's output, I've never tried but I've never really heard anybody say they had any problem with a cube's headphones out, so I'd give it a shot with a pair of fairly good headphones if you're gonna use the headphones anyway.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Not to come off as a cube fan boy or anything like that but I think it ****ing rocks.cant find one single fault with it but im no expert and I will never claim to be but it definitely deserves a chance with mid to higher quality headphones if it doesnt improve at least ive tried.
I recently bought a pair of ATH-M50's that I've been using with my GT-100. They're very good, I can recommend them. Hard to beat for the price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification