Hello everybody, Im not sure if this is in the right section but oh well.

I need 2 songs to audition for Selkirk College but i cant figure out what i should do, at first i was gonna play Cliffs of Dover but the intro is crazy difficult. My other choice was the acoustic version of "To Zanarkand". I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on acceptable songs that would be able to showcase my skills. Thanks
What stream are you auditioning for? Is it a Jazz course or a contemporary pop course?
Like GoldenGuitar said, it depends on what specific area you are auditioning for. Me and a couple of friends went to the same college for music, but we all had entirely different pieces to showcase ourselves because we wanted to get in to different programs.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
"Cliffs of Dover" is not an appropriate audition piece, at least not without doing a lot of arrangement. You need to do more than play a simple melody all by itself.

Here are your audition requirements: http://selkirk.ca/sites/default/files/Music%20Program/Recorded%20Guitar%20Audition-combined.pdf

Try tackling "Blue Bossa" first. If you haven't already done chord/melody arrangements, that's pretty much the basic skill they want to see. They want to know that you can work with written music, not just plunk out a melody.

If you really want to do a modern pop song, you'll have to arrange it as a chord melody (The Beatles' "Yesterday" is in the Real Book). You could also learn a short classical piece, which would definitely meet the requirement of contrasting styles.
What other areas do they have? The only one i can see on their website is the contemporary music and technology. http://selkirk.ca/program/music

Also aren't the 2 contrasting songs to show off my ability while Blue Bossa is to show I can read a melody?
Some general advice on auditioning regardless of program or instrument- play to your strengths. You want to present yourself as competent and confident in your technique. "Crazy difficult" is not necessarily the best way to go. You want things that will show you off even if your world is falling apart. If you can do the "crazy difficult" while sick as a dog or the day after, say, your grandmother dies or something else equally earthshattering, it's a good audition choice (as long as it fits the audition requirements). If you can't reliably play it sick or when your world has been rocked, it's not.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Last edited by queenofthenight at Jul 28, 2014,
A few pointers from someone who's has done many auditions for school.

1. It is INFINITELY more wise to slay an easy song than to barely make it through a hard one. Pick a tune that is just "hard enough" that you can play at a professional level. They'll know whether or not you are attempting to "wow" them with flashy technique.

2. You'll probably be auditioning in front of a bunch of musicians. Most, if not all of them probably don't equate fast rock guitar with skill. If you can shred go for it, but don't have your audition revolve around speed and flashy chops. You are there to play music.

3. Chord melody (any jazz really) and classical are great choices. You want to show them you take it very seriously (I assume you do) and audition accordingly. That being said, don't cripple yourself. Play to your strengths and be yourself, but don't go in there in a ripped Van Halen T shirt, call everyone "dude" and abuse the whammy bar for half an hour either haha.

To be more specific. I'd veto Cliffs, but the Final Fantasy can work as an acoustic piece. It's musical and not "typical guitar player" which is very good.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
great advice that everyone is giving.

I would add that whatever you decide just practice a lot leading up to it. how much mastery you have on your instrument is what the "jury" looks for. It's the intangible aspect of their grading system.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
I love that they put senior theses in the library at Bard. In the school where I teach the theses are not accessible to other students. It's a great resource.