I won't make this long. I just want to know if whenever you play songs, do you always do alternate picking? I don't know how to put this correctly, but do you follow it exactly based on the notes of a tab? I know that this is important, but I'm not concentrating on it much for now. Is it wrong what I'm doing, or do I need to learn alternate picking while I'm still starting? I just want to read different opinions.
I don't learn by tab so i would not follow that for starters.

I would say i alternate 90% of the time, the rest is when i either get a chugging style part that i can hear is played with downpicking rather than alternate or a part that i feel would makes more sense to economy pick. Alternate picking is by base to go from, but depending on how the phrase is sounding (since i learn by ear) i may change to legato/economy/downpicking etc. The main thing is that you get it to sound as you want to and that it feels good.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
^

Agreed. Alternate picking should be the default that you move away from when it makes sense, not something you choose to do when there are no other options.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
^

Agreed. Alternate picking should be the default that you move away from when it makes sense, not something you choose to do when there are no other options.

Yup, can't really add much to that.
I used to economy pick. I'm still trying to break the habit. Alternate picking is MUCH more logical and rhythmically tighter.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
I used to economy pick. I'm still trying to break the habit. Alternate picking is MUCH more logical and rhythmically tighter.

It's not really any more logical, both of them come from applying a single logical principle to playing and taking that to its logical conclusion. I will agree that on the whole it's easier to get good, tight rhythmic playing with economy picking though.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't pay any attention any more. I play mostly bluegrass-type flatpicking, and alternate picking is pretty much how you do it. The technique is very similar to that you'd use for the mandolin... Almost tremolo pacing in fast fiddle tunes and soloing.
But occasionally you have to break that strict pattern within the context of the line. So what?

You play the notes. Nobody listening gives a rat's patootie if you used an upstroke or a downstroke.... You play the note.
Context driven, you might say. I've been doing this for about 40 years. Don't think about it at all... Just what sound comes out of the guitar.
If I would have started learning alternate picking 18 years ago I'd have been as good as I am today after 5 years of playing.

Start learning NOW.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Bikewer

You play the notes. Nobody listening gives a rat's patootie if you used an upstroke or a downstroke.... You play the note.

I would say that when palm muting there is a clear difference in tone between up and down stroke on the bottom string though. Up stroke directs the string towards the palm it feels like, and makes the sound more percussive. But it could just be me.
It all depends on what I want to play.

In the early days aka '90s Whiplash would be alternate and Puppets would be down strokes.

These days it is the same that goes. Whatever works picking wise for what I want to play. However I am trying to expand on it for once. I am currently working on ex 39 - 50 in Speed Mechanics learning all about leading with an up stroke instead of just leading with a down stroke and so forth as I get through the book which I strongly believe every guitarist should do regardless of style.

So down or up, triplets, alternative and sweeping is part of it including palm muting for the bridge.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jul 26, 2014,
Quote by Bikewer
I don't pay any attention any more. I play mostly bluegrass-type flatpicking, and alternate picking is pretty much how you do it. The technique is very similar to that you'd use for the mandolin... Almost tremolo pacing in fast fiddle tunes and soloing.
But occasionally you have to break that strict pattern within the context of the line. So what?

Context driven, you might say. I've been doing this for about 40 years. Don't think about it at all... Just what sound comes out of the guitar.

The sound is the most important part but there's really no reason not to think about what you're doing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I was taught to alternate pick everything from the beginning. After years I realized economy picking was way better for some stuff, so I do that more now.

To be a good economy picker, it really helps if you are a good alternate picker first.
Yes if you are just beginning your guitar journey. And you should really pay attention to the mechanics of alternate picking at first, this will allow a smooth journey to your guitar playing. Check out paul gilbert lesson on alternate picking, probably the most helpful video i have ever found on youtube.
Quote by Gman can
I never liked alternate picking. I found it too clunky plus you need to learn inside picking to be able to do it cleanly. I settled on Frank Gambale's picking technique for scales.

You mean economy picking, which requires you to be able to inside pick anyway.

If you play 3 notes on the low E and then one on the A string, you'd play it DUDD with economy picking. But if you play 4 notes on the low E and then one on the A string, you'd play it DUDUD which is alternate picking (and the last UD will be inside picking).
Quote by Anon17

If you play 3 notes on the low E and then one on the A string, you'd play it DUDD with economy picking. But if you play 4 notes on the low E and then one on the A string, you'd play it DUDUD which is alternate picking (and the last UD will be inside picking).

Depends how you do it, Frank Gambale's picking is almost entirely based around never having to inside pick.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^ Just like his fashion sense in those instructional videos appears to be based entirely around never having looked in a mirror?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Just like his fashion sense in those instructional videos appears to be based entirely around never having looked in a mirror?

REH has a lot to answer for in general it seems!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Anon17

True, but I think the momentum is what makes the difference. Plus, I don't follow those strict picking directions as I'm more likely to replace the alternate strokes with pull offs or hammer ons and just pick when changing strings.
Thing is if you avoid alternate picking it adds limitations to your playing. Limitations that you may not even realize, I have friends that I can tell have not put much thought into things like alternate/economy and inside picking and their playing is generally more sloppy and more boring because of it. They don't realize it but everything starts sounding way more sloppy if you are down stroking all of it, not to mention you are working twice as hard for nothing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
REH has a lot to answer for in general it seems!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?