Hey all, I just bought a 12 string acoustic "Landola" from the salvos for $41, I haven't strung it up yet so I haven't had the chance to play it but I have noticed a blank slot between bridge and tailpiece and I have no idea about it's purpose.
I'm tempted to say, "duh, the saddle".

But since you might be describing a floating tail piece, I'm going to include, "duh, the bridge", as well.

Are the "bridge", and "the tailpiece", two separate parts on this guitar?

It isn't like we hear the brand "Landola" every other day here. Still...

In any case, if the slot you're describing is perhaps at most 1/8" in wide, and maybe 3" long, that would be the slot for the saddle.

I'm sure we'd all appreciate a picture of this project, if you could see it in your way to upload one, (or more).

On a more somber note, 12 strings take a beating, and sometimes there's not going to be an encore performance for them.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 26, 2014,
I have seen guitars where the belly of the instrument has pulled up so far that the owner simply removed the saddle and ran the strings over the bridge with no saddle at all... In an attempt to lower the action to a playable level.
A "Bubba" fix.
Quote by Bikewer
I have seen guitars where the belly of the instrument has pulled up so far that the owner simply removed the saddle and ran the strings over the bridge with no saddle at all... In an attempt to lower the action to a playable level.
A "Bubba" fix.
I tried a similar but, (IMHO at least), a more "refined" approach to this problem, in response to a beautiful Epiphone LH 12 string I was foolish enough to buy. (In this case the neck was set way too high).

I routed grooves in the face of the bridge in front of the saddle, so the strings wouldn't hit the bridge itself. My reasoning being, this POS has to sound better with even a crappy plastic saddle, than with its strings resting on rosewood.

And the conclusion of the story is, the Epiphone is at the dump, and I have 3 Crafter 12 strings replacing it.

But, the moral of the story is, "don't spend all your money at the first music store you come to", my bad, as it were.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 27, 2014,