Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first acoustic guitar (I played electric before). My candidates are (feel free to suggest others):

Gibson J-45
Gibson Sparrow
Martin D-18
Martin D-28

I almost exclusively strum. I want this to be my only guitar so I want it to be good for almost any type of strumming.

Thanks
If you are just a strummer, you might want to check out Zager Guitars on the internet. The ones you are considering which are fine instruments, cost lots o bucks. For around $500 bucks you can get a Zager. I just received a Zager ZAD20 and for my playing which is almost exclusively Bluegrass and Gospel I am extremely satisfied. I was real nervous about buying without playing the thing but I'm real happy I decided to try it. It's a high quality guitar without the big price. The warranty is just about unbelievable and you can try one with no risk whatsoever. I've got eight other guitars and this Zager is superior to all of them. I've got Epiphone, Fender, Seagull, and Ibanez and while none of them are high dollar instruments they all cost more than the Zager.
You can't go wrong with the Martin D-18. Probably one of my favorite martins ive ever played with. Very beautiful sound, beautiful construction, and an absolute amazing feel with the frets.
Quote by motormanHD
If you are just a strummer, you might want to check out Zager Guitars on the internet. The ones you are considering which are fine instruments, cost lots o bucks. For around $500 bucks you can get a Zager. I just received a Zager ZAD20 and for my playing which is almost exclusively Bluegrass and Gospel I am extremely satisfied. I was real nervous about buying without playing the thing but I'm real happy I decided to try it. It's a high quality guitar without the big price. The warranty is just about unbelievable and you can try one with no risk whatsoever. I've got eight other guitars and this Zager is superior to all of them. I've got Epiphone, Fender, Seagull, and Ibanez and while none of them are high dollar instruments they all cost more than the Zager.
Welcome to UG... (Not really).
that's an impressive list to choose from.
the D-18 and d-28 would be on anybody's short list.
is it a dread bodystyle your looking for? what kind of music do you listen to/play ?
are you primarily gong to use it for fingerstyle or lead type stuff? if so a smaller bodied guitar would be what your looking for. if your gonna mostly strum, that list is a good one.
(and pay no attention to motormanHD. that's just a blatant advertisement for some questionable guitars. the Zagar famiy pops in here from time to time to peddle their wares here. they have no shame)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jul 26, 2014,
Quote by stepchildusmc
....[ ]....(and pay no attention to motormanHD. that's just a blatant advertisement for some questionable guitars. the Zagar famiy pops in here from time to time to peddle their wares here. they have no shame)
Yep, that's probably the "patriarch" of the family, "Bot Zager" himself.

Yeah I know, my answers are so cruel (*). Web robots have feelings too....

(*) But not out of character.
Quote by crimsonbambootr
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first acoustic guitar (I played electric before). My candidates are (feel free to suggest others):

Gibson J-45
Gibson Sparrow
Martin D-18
Martin D-28

I almost exclusively strum. I want this to be my only guitar so I want it to be good for almost any type of strumming.

Thanks
Since we've chosen such a grandiose path for our first acoustic, allow me to suggest hand building one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5-vKuXT8s

But seriously, the Gibbies for country, and the Martins for folk. If you're really intent on twanging out, perhaps a Gibson "Dove". (maple)

Then there's the whole Taylor line to inject into this discussion.

BTW, I just listened to a couple of Martina McBride albums. I listened very carefully for the acoustic rhythm part. Know what? They had the treble cut, and the acoustic so far back in the mix, you generally can't tell what the heck they're playing.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 26, 2014,
i'm a huge fan of the gibson J45 - one of my all time faves, but the J15 is also very good and costs a significant amount less. i prefer the tone to the D18, but no one can decide for you which guitar sounds best to you - and honestly there are lots of other really good guitars out there that are neither martins nor gibsons.

that being said, i wouldn't say no to a J45
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
....[ ]...that being said, i wouldn't say no to a J45
Are you suggesting there are people out here who actually would?
Quote by Tony Done
I'm curious to know why you want to spend that much on your first acoustic, and how you arrived at that shortlist.

Me too. There are many much more reasonably priced guitars available these days that are just as good (in terms of quality, workmanship, playability and sound - which is everything you need to consider) as the ones you've suggested.