Hello everyone here in the EG part of the forum.
Last week I received my custom guitar that has been in making for quite some time.
The guitar was made in Finland and actually not too far from my place.. maybe 3 kilometers.
I couldn't be happier. The shape of the neck has those vibes of a Gibson LP neck, but also a C shape neck.
The radius however is 12", cause I've got very used to it and it feels nicer to play than the 9" on my Squier.
25.5” scale, medium jumbo frets, string-thru bridge… very easy to play.
The body design is something of my own making, although you can see that it has a strong vibe from Steve Morse’s signature Music Man, which I so want to get to play one day.
What I basically went for was a bigger and fuller body than that of a strat and no tummy cuts or forearm cuts, because I have no use for them, I’ve got used to that.
Also the edges of the body are not as round as what you see on strats, they’re more like on LPs.

Body: Alder with a flamed maple veneer
Neck: Flamed maple
Fingerboard: Flamed maple
Finish: Gloss finish, however, color only on the top of the guitar. I like the look of “raw” wood and you can see some examples in the back, nothing has been “covered up”. I like it a lot; it gives some real character.
Hardware: Chrome (Gotoh with Fender Am.Std string trees)

The pickups are from Tesla, a Korean company, who make outstanding pickups for the price, these ones are no exception. Absolutely loved the way these sounded through my Laney.
Here comes a full explanation what’s going on with the electronics, going for versatility here (and trust me, this guitar is versatile).
Bridge: Tesla Opus 4
Middle: Tesla Plasma-STS (a noiseless pickup), really like the sound of it on its own. I’ve heard many people say that the middle pickup only position is useless. To me, it really isn’t.
Neck: Tesla Opus 4
Wiring: Standard 5-way switch (Bridge, Bridge-Middle, Middle, Middle-Neck, Neck)
A phase switch for neck pickup, to make different sounds when engaged with middle and/or bridge pickup.
1 volume, acts as a coil splitter for both humbuckers.
1 tone, acts as a bridge pickup activator in whatever position the switch is (so yes, I can indeed have all 3 pickups engaged if I want to).

Unlike with other setups I’ve tried with the coil split, this one in position 2 and 4 with coil split engaged, it really sounds sort of like strat. Not of course 100%, but gets to the ballpark.
Has a bit of that chime in the 4th position and quack in 2nd.
Now, for some pictures

Look at that flame maple on the neck, just whoa!

Wish I hadn’t forgotten the ZOOM handycam to take a demo video, maybe next week!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 26, 2014,
Congrats on the axe! If I may ask, who is the maker?

My first custom featured Tesla pickups- a VR Extreme HB and a pair of OPUS S-1 singlecoils. Very pleased with them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Congrats on the axe! If I may ask, who is the maker?

My first custom featured Tesla pickups- a VR Extreme HB and a pair of OPUS S-1 singlecoils. Very pleased with them.

Thanks!
The maker is a local guy, a friend.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Wow, that's really nice, congrats! I wish I'd have enough money for a better guitar. Still looking for that LP with a strat neck. But it's good to know that there are some great local builders here in finland
Your friend does good work!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

wow that's really nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitar/bass95
Wow, that's really nice, congrats! I wish I'd have enough money for a better guitar. Still looking for that LP with a strat neck. But it's good to know that there are some great local builders here in finland

Thanks!
Well, you could start with getting a bolt-on mounted LP and then trying to mount yourself a strat neck on it. It's always a learning experience. Would probably be a pain in the ass, but what the hell
Yeah, your city probably has many too. No need to go the very expensive route (Ruokangas or Amfisound) unless you really want to. You can find local builders easily from small but well-supplied guitar stores! They're either customers or the owner, just to give you a few tips.

Quote by JustRooster
That is really, really awesome.

Thank you very much

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Your friend does good work!

Yeah, he absolutely does.
I don't mind a few flaws as long as they do not do anything to the sound and playability. This one here has got tone & sustain for days, no need to go for those vintage 50's LPs and strats, both of which have their rightful place to exist and I of course respect those designs, being a former LP user myself.

Quote by Dave_Mc
wow that's really nice

Thank you
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 26, 2014,
Thanks a lot for the tips, I live in Turku so I guess there should be a lot of people here capable of doing that. By the way, I've never heard of amfisound before, or well I have but I haven't realized that they look absolutely gorgeous. Well, maybe I'll win the lottery.
Quote by Ippon
So, what did you give him in return?

Jaloviina (One Star) if I may guess

Superb looking axe, love the crazy switching options. Clear Morse influence indeed.
Quote by Sakke
Quote by guitar/bass95

Well, you could start with getting a bolt-on mounted LP and then trying to mount yourself a strat neck on it. It's always a learning experience. Would probably be a pain in the ass, but what the hell
Yeah, your city probably has many too. No need to go the very expensive route (Ruokangas or Amfisound) unless you really want to. You can find local builders easily from small but well-supplied guitar stores! They're either customers or the owner, just to give you a few tips.

Flaxwood is another good Finnish builder, FWIW.

And yes, you should be able to find a good builder in almost any major city. I'm in the Dallas, Texas area, and I've found at least 4 so far, one of whom has a workshop just minutes from my house in the suburbs. What with Finland's rep for woodworking craftsmanship I would be surprised if you couldn't find someone in your area.

As for bolt-on LPs, I know makers have built them, but I can't recall who off the top of my head. I've got a few hundred makers' websites bookmarked, so... Do a little web surfing, and start a thread about your hunt, and I'm sure you'll find one. Heck...there may already have been a thread here at UG asking the same question, and I may have even contributed.!

Quote by Ippon
It's awesome that you have a friend with such craftsmanship. The body and neck shape reminds me of the Squier '51/Fender Pawnshop '51.

So, what did you give him in return?

Yeah, I guess it has bits of everything. Personally main influences were tele headstock and Steve Morse Music Man signature body shape.

Well, obviously something you give when you purchase a guitar, man.

Quote by Jyrgen
Jaloviina (One Star) if I may guess

Superb looking axe, love the crazy switching options. Clear Morse influence indeed.

No, he didn't ask for one. I would have if he had

Thanks! I'll post a demo when I can.. demonstrating everything. Every sound I can create with this guitar is necessary to have.. Now that I think of it, I do regret a bit that I didn't go for piezos, but hey, I can always mod it if I want one in.

Quote by Ippon
I'd give a case or 3 of Jaloviina (One Star) for that axe.

Don't know if even 3 would do, it's a dream guitar, mate (at least for me it is).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Nice score! Always good to have a unique axe.
HNPurpleGD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Niiiiice.

I dig the pickguard shape and the color. HNCGD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Dude, i love that. The wiring setup would keep me busy for months on end lol, i love guitars that have so many different pickup and sound combinations. Congrats, i hope you're real happy with it forever til the end of time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
sounds great
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Judist
Nice score! Always good to have a unique axe.
HNPurpleGD!

Thank you!
Again, I'm late. I keep forgetting to check up on my own thread
I guess it's quiet now though.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Niiiiice.

I dig the pickguard shape and the color. HNCGD

Thanks
The pickguard's color? It's plain white

Quote by Acϵ♠
Dude, i love that. The wiring setup would keep me busy for months on end lol, i love guitars that have so many different pickup and sound combinations. Congrats, i hope you're real happy with it forever til the end of time.

Trust me I will be happy with it.

Yes well, it did take quite a bit, but after we got figured out that it'd be better to use push-pull pot one to coil-split and the other to put bridge pickup on/off, it was easier. First it looked like we would have needed like a super switch and some really cool schematics. I believe that this guitar wouldn't be even done by now if we had gone that route (maybe, hehe).
Quote by Dave_Mc
sounds great

Thanks! Maybe I'll do another demo of the amp.. or my whole setup, who knows.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard