Someone near me is selling this old guitar for 40€:

I've been looking for a simple, 1-humbucking guitar to have permanently on drop-C with a higher string gauge than what I usually use (.009-.042), and this seems a nice project.

According to the seller, the writing on the headstock says "Country".

Anyone can please give me more information about this guitar manufacturer in general, and/or about this model in particular?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Not being able to see it in the photos that logo looks a lot like a Charvel logo. More than likely it's a Chinese knockoff that was trying to replicate the look of the guitar and logo. Ever see anime where are the TVs are labeled Fony instead of Sony? Same principal.
as a project, you can't go wrong for 40 euro.

there may be minor tweaks that need doing, ie hardware upgrade (bridge, pickup, machine heads) and the wood may not be something amazing, probably cheap basswood or something.

but again, as a project base, you can't go wrong.

OT though, never heard of the brand name "country" but that shouldn't matter, just sand it off and you can put whatever you want there.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by poppameth
Not being able to see it in the photos that logo looks a lot like a Charvel logo. More than likely it's a Chinese knockoff that was trying to replicate the look of the guitar and logo. Ever see anime where are the TVs are labeled Fony instead of Sony? Same principal.

I thought it was probably something like that.

Quote by Dempsey68
as a project, you can't go wrong for 40 euro.

there may be minor tweaks that need doing, ie hardware upgrade (bridge, pickup, machine heads) and the wood may not be something amazing, probably cheap basswood or something.

but again, as a project base, you can't go wrong.

OT though, never heard of the brand name "country" but that shouldn't matter, just sand it off and you can put whatever you want there.

Yeah, for 40€ I figured it was worth the shot. All I want is the neck to feel comfortable, and that the guitar can be properly setup and intonated. If it meets these requirements, I'll work on it to make it look and sound nice.

I'm thinking of buying nice but used hardware, or some quality budget stuff, like Guitarfetish.

And I also thought of sanding off the writing on the headstock, but if I do, I'll leave it blank.
Otherwise, the brand name stays.

It's the first guitar I've come across by this brand, so I was expecting the lack of information about it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah just make sure the neck feels good, is pretty straight and the action seems pretty good. I've had some really poor guitars in the shop that no matter how much I did to them the neck was just too screwy to ever get a good action on them.
I learned how to fix em b4 I could play, looks like a good project guitar, , depends on how much you know about guitars
Quote by Ryder843
I learned how to fix em b4 I could play, looks like a good project guitar, , depends on how much you know about guitars

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Most important to me would be the fret size, the radius of the fretboard, the scale and whether the frets are level or not.

What the logo looks like would be the absolute last thing.
Quote by dspellman
Most important to me would be the fret size, the radius of the fretboard, the scale and whether the frets are level or not.

What the logo looks like would be the absolute last thing.

When I look at it, I see right away the potential result of me going crazy with it aesthetically-wise.

Seriously though, I know what you mean, but the fret size, fretboard radius and scale length are sort of indifferent to me.
I haven't found a specific set of neck specs with which I'm particularly comfortable, I feel very comfortable with very different necks.

Now, if the frets are level or not, that's on the list of things to check, of course.

Even before making the thread I had already decided to buy the guitar, I just wanted to know if anyone has any information about the manufacturer and/or model...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Chinese Knockoff, probably made at the Guyatone or Samick plant. I have also seen this exact guitar in PAwn Shops under the brand names Gremlin and Jaguar (not to be confused with the Fender Offset of the same name).

I've also rebuilt a few of those in my time, they're not that bad, actually one I had pass through my hands played and sounded pretty sweet, and even the tremolo stayed in tune. Still needed a good Wax Pot job though.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
Chinese Knockoff, probably made at the Guyatone or Samick plant. I have also seen this exact guitar in PAwn Shops under the brand names Gremlin and Jaguar (not to be confused with the Fender Offset of the same name).

Thank you very much for the information!

I couldn't find any Jaguar guitars, but it does look exactly like this Gremlin:

Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
I've also rebuilt a few of those in my time, they're not that bad, actually one I had pass through my hands played and sounded pretty sweet, and even the tremolo stayed in tune. Still needed a good Wax Pot job though.

Great to know.

The owner said he got it brand-new in the early '90s, and that the neck is straight, that it might just need minor adjustments depending on how I like the action.

Since it has all the features I wanted (just a bridge humbucker, a Strat-like body and a hockey stick headstock), I think it'll be the perfect basis for the project I have in mind...

And to think the owner advertised it as "to restore or to smash on stage"... As long as the neck is good, that guitar just found a great home.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112