I'm finding myself at a x-roads (so to speak) at to what my next gear purchase will be. I'm currently running a pedal board consisting of:

- ZW Crybaby
- MXR 10-Band EQ
- Phase 90
- ZW Chorus
- TC Alter Ego Delay
- Digitech Bad Monkey OD
- ZW-44 OD
- Moen GEC-9 Switcher
- Korg Pitchback
- ISP Noise gate

This is all going in front of my Jet City JAC50H sitting on a mesa 212, with all but the phaser, wah, and chorus going through the looper (ran out of loops).

I'm happy with my overall tone, but I need a reverb, another delay that has a tap tempo (for on the fly stuff), and I wouldn't mind another OD (just tried the od-1x and really liked it).

The way I see it, if I pick up these extra pedals I want, my board will be maxed out (real-estate space), and it'll probably cost me damn near $500.

For about $500, I'm sort of thinking that I may be better off picking up a multi-effect pedal, like the Boss GT-100 or POD HD500X to just replace my whole board. This would give me tons of effects on tap, lots of options, and I wouldn't have to worry about what the root issue is if something happens to eff up on my board (bad cable, PS, etc....).

I owned a GNX3000 back in the day, and that thing has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth towards multi-effects units; but after hearing about some other users experiences, and reviews I think it might be worth my while to give some of the new units a chance. All my research keeps leading me back to the GT-100 and POD 500HDX. I'm sort of leaning towards the Boss, but maybe there's a unit that I've over looked.

My biggest gripe with my current setup is that my effects loops is at rack level, so all my modulation pedals sound like shit, unless I run them in front. I know I could pick up of of hose line level switches, but that chews up more cash and real-estate on my board. As far as I know, most multi units should work okay with my JC's loop. If I got something like the boss, I run it using the 4 cable method.

I'm thinking I'll pick up the boss this week at L&M to try, and return it if I don't like it; but maybe theres a pedal that's much better for what I need that I've overlooked

So to sum it all up:

- I live in Saskatoon Canada
- The closest store would be Long and McQuade
- I don't really want to spend more then $600 CAD, but if you can sell me on something, I might consider spending more.
- Nothing here in the used market
- I want good effects, and I'm not so interested in amp sims (will be using my JC clean and dirty channels)
- I want to be able to make patches that include switching my amps channels

Thanks for reading.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 26, 2014,
+1 The L6 M9/13 would be great, but I'm not sure it has midi switching?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bassmastamitch
What about a Line 6 M9 or M13?

I've looked into the M series, my only issue with them is that you can't create patches that include what amp channel you want.

For example: I hit button one, and I get my JC clean + chours & delay then maybe button 2 will switch me to my JC dirty channel + EQ and Noise gate. I want to avoid having to hit multiple buttons between transitions; that's why I picked up my looper in the 1st place.

Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 The L6 M9/13 would be great, but I'm not sure it has midi switching?

I'm not looking for midi switching per-say (although that may be useful down the road). I'm looking for something like on the GT-100 where it has an input on the back to run a stereo cable from your foot switch out.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 26, 2014,
I went to Boss GT-10 in 4 cable mode, utilizing a preamp and tube power amp as my live rig, main idea was to make things easier to setup/tear down and to have more effects and the switching on tap. Luckily for me the preamp also had midi so it was an extra bonus.

I wasn't impressed by the GT-10 high gain sounds so that was a great solution and was very easy to set up and also helped me dump my noise gate out of the equation as the GT-10 has 2 noise gates.

Honestly, I liked the sounds of my pedals but was able to achieve about 80% proximity to those with the multifx unit. The Boss could switch 2 channel amps, I did that with a JCM900 and it worked well, it just was too much hassle to adjust for different volume variations - at home I play at 2 and live at 8 on the master volume so noise gates and other fx were acting differently due to the tube response changing.

I think the GT-100 would work in similar fashion, maybe somewhat upgraded COSM but I honestly didn't hear much difference between the GT-8 and GT-10 so probably sounds about the same. The separate effects on the Boss are a lot better than the competition, at least to my ears. Probably has to do with the fact that a lot of these are models of their already existing pedals. The routing options are incredible. To be honest, you should probably even go used and get a GT-10 if you won't use the preamp modeling.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 26, 2014,
The problem is that the used market here is terrible.

I think I still might just pickup the GT-100 to try, and at least that'll give me a starting point to see what I'm really looking for, because like I've said, I haven't tried out any MF units in years. I just keep reading that for sims, the POD is better, but for effects the Boss is the way to go The Boss does look pretty simple to use aswell.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I really don't think the sims are that much better on the Line6 and I do have experience as I've used them and recorded people in a studio with these. They do sound like modelers just as much as the Boss stuff does, just the people who usually buy into Line6 have worse ears
Quote by diabolical
I really don't think the sims are that much better on the Line6 and I do have experience as I've used them and recorded people in a studio with these. They do sound like modelers just as much as the Boss stuff does, just the people who usually buy into Line6 have worse ears

Boss also requires a lot more to get the amp sims to sound at least decent whereas other things are much more straightforward. Bosses don't sound good at all unless you do a lot of under-the-hood tweaking. There's a big learning curve involved.
The GT-100 will do all that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're in Saskatoon, you should get the GT-100. Anywhere else on the planet, get the HD 500X.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Boss also requires a lot more to get the amp sims to sound at least decent whereas other things are much more straightforward. Bosses don't sound good at all unless you do a lot of under-the-hood tweaking. There's a big learning curve involved.

I don't mind putting some effort into getting it all setup. I'm kinda expecting to spend a couple weeks off and on trying to get my tones nailed down. And like I've said, I'm not really interested in the sims at all, I just want the effects. I may set some up for when I want to practice at home thru my PC, but I would't be too fussy about dialling those tones in.

Quote by dspellman
If you're in Saskatoon, you should get the GT-100. Anywhere else on the planet, get the HD 500X.

Why is that??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 27, 2014,
I'm a long time Multi effects user and I have owned the Gt-8,, Gt-10 and currently the Gt--100.
Once you learn how to use the Gt series , you'll never want to use anything else. Especially coming from so many pedals which is where I came from. I was in your position years ago, and I even went back to all pedals as I was pretty frustrated with the GT-8 as I couldn't get my amp to sound like my amp. The GT-8 sucked out some of my tone and changed it enough to completely annoy me and I sold it off and went back to pedal tap dancing.
When I got the GT-10 after completely missing the ability to create patches , the GT-10 was a much better easier unit. I tripped and stumbled my way around it for awhile but once I got it, I fell in love.
When I upgraded to the GT-100 at first I hated it. They changed the way it works enough to really trip me up. I longed for my GT-10 back but now I don't miss it at all.

The beauty of the the GT-100 is that it basically 95% gets out of the way of your amps natural tone. If this is something you hold in high regard then the Boss GT-100 with be the unit for you.
What the patches are all about and programming is you can create a patch that is your amps clean channel , have a OD pedal in front of your amps preamp , then put Delay , Chorus and Reverb in the effects loop before your amps amp section. You can set all that up and save it then call on it at will with one pedal press. Remember the Delay for the Clean channel can be setup completely different then lets say your drive channel. You can even use different kinds of Delay and what have you. So writing a song that starts out in a clean can jump to the drive channel and have completely different effects in the correct order and in front of your amp and in it's effects loop all with one press of the pedal. You can do this and really dial in what you want so when your writing , you are not limited by how long it takes to switch your amps channels and change all the pedals to your liking.
I can go on and on the benefits of owning a Boss GT-100. It's IMO the best under $1000.00 board out there. I have tried the Korg's and Line 6 models and they never where able to sound and be how I want them to be.
I strongly suggest watching you tube videos from a guy named Glenn something I forget his last name but he really knows the GT units well and he teaches you some good basic's to get going.
If you are willing to learn , the GT is an amazing tool. I love mine and can't see using anything else. At the price which by the way just Dropped to $499.99 is a compete steal for what it can do. Go try and find anything better.
The Quest for Tone.
Quote by mantis101
I'm a long time Multi effects user and I have owned the Gt-8,, Gt-10 and currently the Gt--100.
Once you learn how to use the Gt series , you'll never want to use anything else. Especially coming from so many pedals which is where I came from. I was in your position years ago, and I even went back to all pedals as I was pretty frustrated with the GT-8 as I couldn't get my amp to sound like my amp. The GT-8 sucked out some of my tone and changed it enough to completely annoy me and I sold it off and went back to pedal tap dancing.
When I got the GT-10 after completely missing the ability to create patches , the GT-10 was a much better easier unit. I tripped and stumbled my way around it for awhile but once I got it, I fell in love.
When I upgraded to the GT-100 at first I hated it. They changed the way it works enough to really trip me up. I longed for my GT-10 back but now I don't miss it at all.

The beauty of the the GT-100 is that it basically 95% gets out of the way of your amps natural tone. If this is something you hold in high regard then the Boss GT-100 with be the unit for you.
What the patches are all about and programming is you can create a patch that is your amps clean channel , have a OD pedal in front of your amps preamp , then put Delay , Chorus and Reverb in the effects loop before your amps amp section. You can set all that up and save it then call on it at will with one pedal press. Remember the Delay for the Clean channel can be setup completely different then lets say your drive channel. You can even use different kinds of Delay and what have you. So writing a song that starts out in a clean can jump to the drive channel and have completely different effects in the correct order and in front of your amp and in it's effects loop all with one press of the pedal. You can do this and really dial in what you want so when your writing , you are not limited by how long it takes to switch your amps channels and change all the pedals to your liking.
I can go on and on the benefits of owning a Boss GT-100. It's IMO the best under $1000.00 board out there. I have tried the Korg's and Line 6 models and they never where able to sound and be how I want them to be.
I strongly suggest watching you tube videos from a guy named Glenn something I forget his last name but he really knows the GT units well and he teaches you some good basic's to get going.
If you are willing to learn , the GT is an amazing tool. I love mine and can't see using anything else. At the price which by the way just Dropped to $499.99 is a compete steal for what it can do. Go try and find anything better.

Thanks for the detailed insight! I read you're other thread as well.

It sounds like this pedal is exactly what I'm looking for; something that will give me a huge pallet of effects, many switching options, and wont kill my amps sweet tone

I bought a Moen lopper last year to try to get away from the tap dancing routine, and it worked great for a while, but I'm now finding that I'm using quite a few different effects with my band, so its starting to become a huge pain to bend down and switch my delay, OD, phaser, etc... settings every couple of songs.

I have an old wah, and a bunch of parts lying around, so I plan on building a tap tempo, and expression pedals right away.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
One thing I'm really digging on the GT-100 is the way the built in expression pedal defaults to volume and then wah with the toe down switch. You don't need a volume pedal at the same time as wah so it works out well. When you turn off the wah, it's at full volume. Great configuration for gigging.
You can set it up in other ways but I don't bother, switching between wah and volume like that is very cool.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
One thing I'm really digging on the GT-100 is the way the built in expression pedal defaults to volume and then wah with the toe down switch. You don't need a volume pedal at the same time as wah so it works out well. When you turn off the wah, it's at full volume. Great configuration for gigging.
You can set it up in other ways but I don't bother, switching between wah and volume like that is very cool.

That is a pretty sweet feature. I was thinking that I'd what the volume pedal mainly to have it set to about 90-95% while playing rhythm, then kick it all the way forward for lead parts, but I guess if I'm using my wah, I'm probably doing some lead work anyway's, so it should workout fine.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
This is an unusual forum, in that the GT100 gets a lot of play, as do Jet City amps, ESP/Ibanez guitars. Over on the TGP board, AxeFX and Kemper arm wrestle, and on MLP, Phaez amps are a darling. And on other boards, these are downplayed or virtually ignored and something else is a favorite.

I've worked with the GT100 briefly, and it's a good unit. I didn't care for the amps/cabs part of it, but the FX were fine, so if you're going to work with just those and you tailor them for a specific amp that you already have, I think you're in good shape. It's also stated that the OP was already leaning toward the GT100, so confirmation of it is really all he was after.

When I first bought a Pod (the XT "bean"), I was looking for a headphone piece. I've been playing long enough that I've got two full (and a third started) of the 11-gallon flap-top bins full of closely packed FX. I just wanted something I could use for practice. So I got that and a Korg PX3 (battery powered). It wasn't long before I tried it with an amp and, eventually, with an Atomic Reactor 112-18.

Later picked up an XT Live and an X3 bean. What was cool about the X3 was that I could have two completely different rigs running (amps, FX, cabinets, etc.) -- at the same time.

For fun, I tried it with a huge PA system, and that did it.

I have 15 tube amps. Nine of them went into storage, and most of my speaker cabs (including four 4x12s) with them. When I went to bass, I picked up a used Bass Pod XT (bean), and last year picked up the Pod HD bean.

I like the ability to have the foot pedal separate from the electronics (which can stay in the backline), and to have NO AC power up front where beer, etc., can be dropped on it. I also like having the settings screen up where I can easily see it (the Pod has a mic stand mount available that can also slip under the handle of an amp) rather than needing to bend over or kneel and squint to change something. I can still tune with the display on the footboard *or* with that on the Pod.

And I only have one expensive guitar cable running from the guitar to the backline -- the foot pedal operates off a cheap ethernet cable and gets its power there as well. If something *should* damage the foot pedal, I have a cheap used spare ready to go as backup, and the electronics are still safe in the backline.

There have been some upgrades and adjustments recently. I tried the Torpedo C.A.B. pedal, and decided that this more than filled what I've considered the main shortcoming that separated the Pods from more expensive rigs like the Kemper and Axe -- the cabinet reproduction.

The C.A.B. emulates cabs and the power amps, and concentrates on just that one thing, and it's a great upgrade to the system. It's designed as a pedal, but it's capable of MIDI operation, and the Pod foot pedal is capable of sending MIDI signals, so a single stomp up front can change amp, FX power amp and cabinet emulation in the backline.

Since all of this will run any full-range frequency response power+speaker system, I can use powered recording monitors at home, powered speakers or power amp+speakers in standard amp fashion, or an arena PA, and I'll sound pretty much the same.

But wait, there's more. I did pick up an HD500X. And part of the reason that I also had the Pod XT Live all along was the same reason I bought the HD500X -- Variax guitars.

Rather than using a standard guitar cable, I can use an ethernet cable from guitar to HD500X (or to a Pod HD Pro, if I had one). The Variax is a modeling guitar (and has magnetic pickups as well). I can store guitar model and alternate tuning information in the same user preset that stores MIDI commands, amp, FX, cabinet, etc., and change *everything* with a single stomp.

So I can play an acoustic 12-string or a slide-tuned resonator guitar model for an introduction and switch to a downtuned LP through a cranked Marshall, between beats, with a single stomp, without changing guitars, without changing string tension, etc.

I'm not sure I know of any other way to do that.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 27, 2014,
Cool. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I just got off of work early, and drove right over to long and mcquade to pick up the gt-100 to try, and it turns out they are now closed on Sundays! I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
That is a pretty sweet feature. I was thinking that I'd what the volume pedal mainly to have it set to about 90-95% while playing rhythm, then kick it all the way forward for lead parts, but I guess if I'm using my wah, I'm probably doing some lead work anyway's, so it should workout fine.
How I'm doing it is to assign a boost (EQ) to the Accel button. I have an EV-5 kicking around, I'm not using it; no need.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use a GT100 V2. I plug into the front of the amp and have the GT100 in my Bugera 333XL FX loop. I don't use any of the amp sims nor the distortions on the GT100 as they are crap. I use it for the outstanding modulation FX's and it's ease of use and setup. I Midi switch my amp using a payne labs K-Switch and some DIY mods to the amp for midi switching all controlled from the GT100. I also use a Line 6 M5 in the S/R of the GT100 for some of it's wilder reverbs and dynamic delay, oh and the tube driver ( very good ) once again all midi controlled from the Gt100. Are you starting to get the idea that the GT100 is very versatile and can be used to suit everyone's need. I like to use the GT100, and I have owned some Zoom and Digitech stuff in the past but nothing has come close to the boss for versatility. Go with what your ear likes and your wallet tolerates.
Quote by red.guitar

I'm not looking for midi switching per-say (although that may be useful down the road). I'm looking for something like on the GT-100 where it has an input on the back to run a stereo cable from your foot switch out.

I skimmed through and saw this.

Only Boss GT units will do this.

Line 6 needs to get their shit together on this.

And Cath, the HD500s can have the exp pedal work the same way you descirbed. Pretty basic expected functionality for MFX nowadays.

But I know it's harder for you to keep up with this newfanged stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get off my ****ing lawn.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
I skimmed through and saw this.

Only Boss GT units will do this.

Line 6 needs to get their shit together on this.

And Cath, the HD500s can have the exp pedal work the same way you descirbed. Pretty basic expected functionality for MFX nowadays.

But I know it's harder for you to keep up with this newfanged stuff.

Awesome. Yea I thought I was just missing something first, buts it's pretty lame that the line 6 stuff has just midi, and no option to run a stereo foot switch cable in.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
So I've spent about 1.5hrs on the gt-100, and so far so good!

I will say I defiantly notice come high end missing from my tone, but the JCA is a super trebly amp, so I don't mind that!

The effects sound good so far, just need to spend more time tweaking.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
So I've spent about 1.5hrs on the gt-100, and so far so good!

I will say I defiantly notice come high end missing from my tone, but the JCA is a super trebly amp, so I don't mind that!

The effects sound good so far, just need to spend more time tweaking.

There's a presence control in the system settings.
Quote by JELIFISH19
There's a presence control in the system settings.

Thanks!

I'm sure there's lots I'm missing right now
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525