Dear forum users!

this time I'm standing on the choosing between USA Gibson Les Paul Studio 1990 (750 euro) and Japan Fender TELECASTER TL62B (2x Seymour Duncan with BIGSBY tremolo on the bridge) which cost is the 630 euro (I'm in France now).
I relly can't make final desicion at one momont because both guitars are excelent: Gibson's soft mahagoni sound Vs Fenders (yes, this japan guy is sound like native USA Fender!) cold glass with BIGSBY vibrations :-)
I used to play on my USA Stratocaster but now would like to switch to the more Jazzy-like sounds prefering to play on clean sound with warmer tube sound (with chorus or phaser chosen as the effects). My comon repertoire is the classic(Bach), Blues-Rock and Jazz-Rock like David Guilmour style. I dont play on riffs being mostly like lead guitarist with the inclusion of Rhytm parties from the Jazz chords. I'm mainly inspired by Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra, Chet Atkins, Queen, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani and some of the classic flamenco and fussion.

I'll be thankfull for any brief review of each of the mentioned instruments expecially of the Japan's guitar (because I use to look on the Asians with some suspicions).

Many thanks for suggestions,

James
Last edited by James Starlight at Jul 26, 2014,
yeah they're kind of totally different styles of guitar, what we'd be telling you would apply almost as much to any telecaster versus any les paul (within reason, and assuming at least roughly similar price points and quality) as it would apply to the specific two models you're looking at.

EDIT: the japanese stuff is normally top-notch, so don't worry about that.

if you like a warmer tone and based on a lot of what you said about the bands/guitar players you like the les paul might be more sensible. but a tele neck pickup is pretty warm-sounding too, and personal preference plays a pretty big part, too.

are you familiar with teles and les pauls? it sounds from your post like you kind of are- and if so then my entire post has probably been pretty much pointless because I'm just telling you stuff you already know
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 26, 2014,
Eh. The MIJ stuff isn't any better then today's MIK stuff. It is just really over hyped because guitars were made to totally different standards back in the 80s and early 90s.

I remember when I was really young and getting into guitar I was heart set on this MIJ strat at my local store. Needless to say I ended up with a Yamaha because the store said MIJ starts were utter crap.

I'd go with the Gibson all day all long.
Last edited by Smigzy at Jul 26, 2014,
Today I've tried both and noticed its completely difference. For instance I think that it'll be very hardly to play glam rock on TELE and on other hand an accoustic-rock on Les Paul. I've used to play on Stratocaster but noticed that TELE has more expressed and agressive sound especially in bass. What you could tell about BIGSBY, is this system proven expecially in case of keeping tuning ? Does the japanese TELE really better than Mexican? I don't compare it with the another asian's like Korea (which are really sux) but could keep in mind that USA should be better in any case.
If I didn't already have a tele with a bigsby, I'd take the tele. I'm sure they're both solid guitars.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Smigzy
Eh. The MIJ stuff isn't any better then today's MIK stuff. It is just really over hyped because guitars were made to totally different standards back in the 80s and early 90s.

I remember when I was really young and getting into guitar I was heart set on this MIJ strat at my local store. Needless to say I ended up with a Yamaha because the store said MIJ starts were utter crap.

I'd go with the Gibson all day all long.

The store lied to you, or at least told you their opinion as though it was fact.

Quality with MIJ guitars depends on the time period they were constructed during and the pricepoint it was sold at.

MIJ gear intended for the Japanese market or intended to be exported as premium quality gear is almost always as well made as comparable MIUSA gear.

Lower end MIJ stuff is less consistently good, but it's only in the past decade that Korean made gear has been of comparable quality.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
They should put binding on every Tele.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Ippon
It'll be best to try both because they sound and feel so different from each other.

The Japanese Fenders are pretty solid. I used to have a similar Japanese Fender Tele:

Very sexy. Why did you let it slip away?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sounds like a noble sacrifice!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by STABxYOU
The store lied to you, or at least told you their opinion as though it was fact.

Quality with MIJ guitars depends on the time period they were constructed during and the pricepoint it was sold at.

MIJ gear intended for the Japanese market or intended to be exported as premium quality gear is almost always as well made as comparable MIUSA gear.

Lower end MIJ stuff is less consistently good, but it's only in the past decade that Korean made gear has been of comparable quality.

Yeah. And even yet (with the stuff I've tried), while the Korean stuff is getting better and better all the time, I'd stay the MIJ stuff still has the edge, at least a lot of the time. Granted before about the late 70s the Japanese stuff is meant to be not as good, too, so I'm not saying the Korean stuff won't make it ever, because it probably will (plus the non-export Korean stuff is meant to be excellent too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Specifically speaking to the TL62B, it's a great tele. the ones i've played have been great instruments. i've played and owned some nice gibson LPs as well.

the best bang for the buck in France? probably the tele.

Quote by Smigzy

i have to ask, where was this Yamaha made?
Am I the only one who thinks Les Paul here? He's got a Strat and he wants Jazz sounds...
not going to go wrong either way, i just think the tele is a better bargain in France.

gibby usa stuff is 'spensive o'er by der.
Quote by JustRooster
Am I the only one who thinks Les Paul here? He's got a Strat and he wants Jazz sounds...

Well...you know what I'M thinking? REVERENDS!

In the €1200-1400 range, there are a trio of Reverend signature guitar families that I would strongly consider: the Pete Anderson PA-1s, the Gil Paris I or II, and the Rick Vito (with or without Bigsby*). Others in the Reverend might work well, but I think these would be best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6FDK7-lWU&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqzFXNNhHgk&sns=me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toUIWNcf4BI&sns=em

Available at a few places in France
http://www.reverendguitars.com/dealers-2/

I'd also look at the Godin Kingpins the 5th Avenue (Jazz or Uptown GT) or Montreals:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsigseriesp.htm

* I own a hardtail Rick Vito. Sweet Fine Axe.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster

i said the LP too (sort of... sitting on the fence as usual ). Just I was arguing with the anti-MIJ guy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez AS73VLS. Affordable Semi-Hollow with a thinner neck than a 335 and Super 58's from the factory.
Dear all

thanks for suggestions! Do you think that for jazzy and flamenco-like sound Les Paul might be better than Tele? I suppose that Gretsch guitar will beat both but hear only Korean Gretsch guitar.

James
Flamenco is more of an acoustic thing.

The closest I can think of to a player who masters both is Al DiMeola, and he plays Ovatun acoustics and, as I recall, PRS electrics.

BTW will it be in principle possible to mount BIGSBY on the Les PAul studio ? (like Neil Young style guitar :-) )

I've never installed one, so I have no clue as to how difficult it is to do.

For some reason gibson tends to vary a lot in quality on the les pauls imo, so id at least try it in person before deciding if you like it or not.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
could someone give me some ideas about how long such guitars lives ? )
For instance fender tele is 9 years old. Could the wood be defected for this time or not? Also this fender has Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pick ups so its sound is not like TELE no more :-) it's more bright and hot. What should be better ? Regarding Les Paul- this is standart studio 1990 model I dont know how old it is- it sound very good expecially with tube lamps (On other hand I've tested Fender with transistor and for me sound was better!). I'll plan to use guitar with the Vox Night train tube amp
Last edited by James Starlight at Jul 29, 2014,
also I'd specify that I'll not use overdrive and distortion make preference to the chorus or flanger playing in Lattest Guilmour jazzy-ballad style
if it's been looked after, it should last more or less indefinitely.

if you want vintage tele tones virtually any half-decent accurate vintage-style tele single coil pickup will be an improvement over the hot rails
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?