Im new to all this and had a few questions about heads and speakers/cabs. Ive been researching online and on YouTube and ive found that for the sound and tone i want is a peavey 6505 amp head hands down and the Orange ppc212 or a cabinet that has similar construction and with the same materials or something just as solid. I also have a washburn xm with the Floyd rose special tremelo. So the sounds I'm trying to get is rock and heavy metal fat chunky stuff. I also enjoy my acoustic guitar too. i have a wide range of music i enjoy. But my question is would that cab and 6505 head get me what i want? And also which speakers would give me the best range and sound quality for that fat chunky squaling high gains and mids. Im talking dimebag squels to zack wyldes chunky riffs.Also what would be a good cab that is cheaper and carries the same quality? Thanks.
Last edited by red444 at Jul 26, 2014,
Quote by Dimarzio45
Go to the gear sub-forum. You will only get sarcasm and cynicism here.

don't listen to this guy we will help you
banned
You guys are funny. When you go to the sub-forum you'll get sarcasm and cynicism there too.

But umm yeah, a 6505 is a metal amp.
moved
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by red444
Im new to all this and...

...the sound and tone i want is a peavey 6505 amp head ...

...I also have a washburn xm with the Floyd rose special tremelo...

...I also enjoy my acoustic guitar too...

Quote by red444
...But my question is would that cab and 6505 head get me what i want?

this is a completely subjective question, we won't be able to tell you if you'll be happy with that choice.

if you are looking for a contemporary metal tone then a 6505 and an orange ppc212 is a pretty damn good setup. we will not be able to tell you if that is what you really want though, there is a small chance you may not be happy with it.

Quote by red444
And also which speakers would give me the best range and sound quality for that fat chunky squaling high gains and mids.

there are no best speakers.

that being said the orange comes with V30's, which is the stock speaker in like 80% of the best selling metal cabs out there. so these V30's should be just fine for you needs.

my personal preference would probably be to pull one of those V30's and replace it with a G12K-100 (or a eminence swamp thang or possibly a G12T-75 depending on your preference). but the V30's are pretty versatile.

Quote by red444
Also what would be a good cab that is cheaper and carries the same quality? Thanks.

i don't know where you are from, but avatar offers a cabinet with the same dimensions, using similar materials and you can order any speakers you want put into it. it's cheaper. if you are in america then this would be a good deal for you.

if you are in europe i think most people get a Harley Benton Vintage 212 for a budget cab.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Dimebag and Zack Wylde?

You should check out the Peavey XXX or 3120. It's more suited for that than any 6505 variant.

The Orange PPC212 is a fine cab, but they're rather pricey in the US. If you go used, you can get a Mesa 212 for like $450. And yeah, a new Avatar G212 Contemporary will run you $530 shipped new with any of the usual suspects in it (V30s, T75s, K100s, mix and match, whatever).

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm

For the tones you like I'd expect G12T75s to be more up your alley than V30s. Check out the Marshall 1936. Kind of hard to find them though.

EDIT: nvm, they still sell the 1936 new, I though it'd been discontinued for a while for some reason.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ I'm not sure (regarding the speakers). when he mentions the tones he wants, i agree with you, g12t75s might be better. but then he mentions mids which to me sounds more like v30s.

Quote by BobDetroit
You guys are funny. When you go to the sub-forum you'll get sarcasm and cynicism there too.

that's what i was thinking
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the information and options. I will look into all of those. My question probably sounds confusing because like i said im new to all the amps, speakers and trying to figure out what sounds want. I just bought an acoustic about 6 months ago and decided i wanted to get an electric. I did and now im hooked im trying to figure out whats whats and what gives me tge best sounds so i can tear it down. Thanks agat.
yeah no worries

and yeah speakers can be confusing, it's difficult to get to try different speakers without just having to bite the bullet and buy them. if you're lucky your local shop might have different cabs with different speakers and you'd want to try them with the same amp to see how they differ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?