Hey I'm on the market for my first tube amp. I've been looking at some low wattage heads so I can switch out 1x10 or 1x12 cabs with. This is mainly for bedroom play as I play guitar for fun and don't plan on recording or playing any live music.

Some of the stuff I've been enjoying lately is Opeth, including much of their post-Heritage material. If that will help you suggest anything.

So far what has stood out at the local music store is the BlackStar HT 5 and Tubemeister 18. However I've heard the BlackStar HT series is not tube and solid state, but they market it as tube for some reason if anyone can explain that too it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
not sure about the blackstar. I'd reccomend a vox lil night train. A tonne of gain, great cleans and a headphone output as well (that actually sounds good). Put some decent tubes in it and your sorted
The only explanation is that Blackstar are liars.

Now that that is out of the way and should stay out of the way, what is your budget?

Rather than focusing on low watt amps, you should focus more on getting as close as you can to your desired tone, within budget, and use the volume knob on the amp to tame it. That's why they have a volume knob.

Opeth seems to play Laney GH50L/GH100L/VH100R amps. Can be had for roughly $500 used on Guitar Center.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Higher watt amps do just fine in a bedroom.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have the VH100R and it is a bit loud for the bedroom. If you don't mind not having a clean channel the GH50L is right up your alley. Used it will be sub $500. I know Mikael Akerfelt uses a GT8 with the GH100L so he has a clean amp model and a distorted amp model running into the head.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
to me something 50+ watts would still be overkill.

I'll go try one out at the local music store if they have one and try to convince myself.
If you have a couple pedals, an Epi Valve Jr may work well for you. Hell, even if you don't have pedals it'll leave room in you budget to buy a dozen. Don't let the cheapness fool you. The features include a power switch and volume, thats half the reason they're so cheap.

Its not tube but the Yamaha THR is a pretty badass lil amp for bedroom use.

If you sing, with your budget you could get a killer mfx+powered speaker setup to put on shows for your hamster and dog. Also not tube though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The HK low wattage amps are also not true tube path if not mistaken. That doesn't mean they're bad.
The Laney TT100 sounded pretty much as Opeth in a box but it is too much for bedroom. How about going Tech21 Trademark 30? Solid state but will cover what you need. Maybe also small Laney, I think it was the VC15.
both of those are hybrid (I strongly suspect, at least). that doesn't mean they're all solid state, they do have tubes in there, but they also have some solid state stuff too. if you don't care it doesn't matter, but if you do it does. kind of thing.

i'd be looking at higher wattage high gain amps, most likely. assuming you don't have to play at whisper volume and don't want to crank them. But if you do have to do both of those things, lower wattage tube amps will be too loud, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my budget is about 800 to 1000 USD

the H&K stood out to me because I could lower it from 18 down to 5 or 1.
Quote by Johnnyzzz
Some of the stuff I've been enjoying lately is Opeth, including much of their post-Heritage material. If that will help you suggest anything.

Post-Heritage? They've put out one song so far

I'd check out the Sovtek Mig50, Fender Blues Junior, Marshall Slash SL5, and the Mesa/Boogie Express. All of those can do growly mid-gain tones quite well.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Johnnyzzz

In my experience, wattage down scaling doesn't work very well on "cheaper" amps, just makes them sound weaker... as if you threw a blanket on them or something...

Also, keep in mind that if you wanna go tube, there's a certain level of volume you'll have to keep up with, I know that "volume button's there for a reason", but you'll have to turn it up a bit to allow the tone to shape itself properly. That threshold does seem to be lower on <100w amps, tho.

I wouldn't know about HK, but Marshall SL5 sounds like it could be up your alley, give it a spin if you can find it.
You can afford a Snott Watt so buy one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Johnnyzzz

5 will still be too loud to crank and 1 probably will be too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wattage just doesnt mean volume, really. A Marshall MS2 1 watt amp (3" speaker, $45 amp) is pretty freaking loud. Now something with 50 times the wattage and has 12" speakers will be capable of being alot louder, but you can easily exceed "bedroom volume" with a 1 watt amp.
Krank Rev Jr
Baron Snott watt
Laney IRT15
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
has anyone tried a jet city amp? It was suggested to me by a friend but my local music stores don't carry them.
I've got a Jet City JCA5012C. Its forte is saturated lead tones but I guess it could pull off newer Opeth. Not as vintage sounding, but it'd be alright.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by diabolical
Mesa 5:25 or mini rectifier, probably have to look at used.

I remember the Mini Rectifier being insanely loud, though. Could've been the room also (it's an old cinema converted to a music store).

I don't really get the whole low wattage requirement anyway, though. My Lone Star was 100W and it's to this day the best amplifier I've heard at low volumes. Volume knobs are there for a reason. You can't crank a 1W tube amplifier anyway if you need low volume.
Quote by Johnnyzzz
has anyone tried a jet city amp? It was suggested to me by a friend but my local music stores don't carry them.

yeah. i'm not that well up on opeth, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Okay so I've narrowed it down to:

Laney IRT15
Egnater Rebel 20

for some reason I keep going back to the HK TM18 because I just like the cleans that it has.
The choice is yours
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
The choice is yours

yea i may just start off by ordering the Laney off Amazon, which would allow me to return it if I don't like.
before you order check out the randall divalvo series of amps. they range in wattage from 1 to 100w. i own the rd20h its fantastic. great cleans and a awesome drive channel. it also has a clean boost and an fx loop
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Guitar center has a 30 day return on all used stuff too. Don't sleep on that. My situation kinds sucks. My peavey vypyr was stolen and I ordered a black star but I had to use zzounds and do the payment option. Nothing else high gain I çould find for sround $350. It's cool u have more money heh
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A