Hey guys,

About 3 weeks ago I played my amp for the last time before going on a short trip to Canberra. Everything was completely normal.

Upon returning home, when I flicked the switch on my amp (Orange Jim Root Terror), there was no life. Tubes didn't warm up, jewel didn't glow on the front, nothing. We had someone house sit whilst I was away and I'm wondering if they've done something to short it.

What would cause this sort of thing? Any ideas guys?

I'm ****ing furious right now. This amp took a lot of saving on a uni student budget.

Help.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
did you check the fuses? did you check to make sure the amp was plugged into an operational outlet?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
check your fuses. There may be a fuse on the inside (HT) fuse. Don't just look at the fuses, check the continuity.

Also you will get shocked if you're not careful or not knowing doing what you're doing inside is taking the pan out.

Check plugs /cables/knobs/etc
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 27, 2014,
Checked knobs + cables + checked different wall sources

I'm not game enough to touch fuses - how do you check them? There's a fuse holder on the back that looks like it will open with a coin
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Just unplug it from the wall, then use a 10c coin to take it out. It'll probably just be a quarter turn and it will pop out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's what I was thinking ^ I already sent them a stern message but nothing came from it. Can't really do much at this point.

Is there no danger in handling fuses? As easy as unplugging and removing? New to this sort of stuff (first tube amp)

EDIT: Also, I've heard that a blown fuse can indicate something more sinister inside the amp going down - any truth to this?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Jul 27, 2014,
there's no danger in handling fuses. it's as easy as you say. just make sure the amp is unplugged.

and a blown fuse itself doesn't necessarily indicate anything bad going on. however, if you replace it, and the new one blows, then you need to start checking stuff.
Unplug the amp first and fuses are totally safe. Pull the fuse and test it with an ohm meter. If blown it will read open line. If good it will read zero ohms. A blown fuse is often a sign of a failed tube and tubes are pretty cheap and safe to replace.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Exactly. Replace it and see what happens. If it blows again it's probably power tubes.
Make sure you get the right type. Not just amperage, there are fast and slow blow fuses as well. Voltage just has to be >= 240V. You need to get the correct one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay I removed the fuse on the back and had a look. It looks completely normal. No broken filament, no rattles inside, no corrosion/brown marks. Clean as a whistle.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Okay I removed the fuse on the back and had a look. It looks completely normal. No broken filament, no rattles inside, no corrosion/brown marks. Clean as a whistle.

Ok now test it with a meter to be sure it works.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
do I put the receptors on either end of the fuse?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
do I put the receptors on either end of the fuse?

Yes, on the metal parts. Have your meter set to ohms.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Okay, so I tested all of the fuses for continuity (mains and HT) and the mains is the one that failed. Luckily had another one spare in the case it came in.

Is there anything I need to do before testing the new fuse with mains? Or do I just plug the new fuse in and turn it on as if normal?

Thanks for the help so far guys
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Just stick it in, turn it on and see what happens. If it blows again you have a bigger problem and it will need to be looked at by somebody who knows what they are doing. Fuses will sometimes just blow, nothing lasts forever, but if it blows again it's more serious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Popped it in and turned it on - fixed (hopefully)!

Cranked it and jammed for an hour with no issues. Hope all it was was a random blow!

Cheers guys! Stoked!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.