Page 1 of 2
So guys, I need some opinions. I'm looking for a secondary amp to go along with my Jet City. I was looking at Randall Diavlo till I found Marshall DSL40C. I need to know if it's a decent amp for the money or if I should look at anything else. Play mostly metal (Opeth, Sabbath, Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Trivium) Not really looking at owning another 6505+ or another Peavey for that matter. Thoughts? Diavlo or DSL40C?
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
The Marshall will need a better speaker (really, it's got a seventy 80) and better tubes. I'd get the Randall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Me too, I don't see the marshall reaching these tones convincingly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well what made me consider the Marshall was the gain on Lead Channel 2. Sounds like it'd be enough. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate these tones, it's just what I play.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Well what made me consider the Marshall was the gain on Lead Channel 2. Sounds like it'd be enough. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate these tones, it's just what I play.

I spent a hr on the dsl one day at l&m and wasn't impressed at all. It sounded super fizzy. I actually ended up buying the JCA50H instead. I'd save for a Randall RM & some modules or a EVH 5150iii.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Fizz can be reduced with tubes and speaker, nay? What about a Mesa Rectoverb?
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Fizz can be reduced with tubes and speaker, nay? What about a Mesa Rectoverb?

To an extent. Like I said, I spent an hr on the thing, and I could get an okay lead tone, but for the price of the amp, I wasn't impressed at all. I found it to have a much weaker clean channel than the JCA as well.

No doubt you can coax some alight tones out of it, but I found the harder you tried to push it, or the more distortion you try to get out of it, the worse it sounds.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
So what about the Rectoverb? Would it suit my needs?
6505+ Head
I wouldn't get either of those.

What's wrong with the 6505?

Sounds like maybe you need a Dual Rec. Either an old 2 channel or a Tremoverb.

Not sold on Single Recs or Rectoverbs yet, but I know 311 loves his, hopefully he can chime in and give you some advice there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only thing I have against the 6505 is that it's the same damn tone on so many metal records today that I'm downright sick of it. Trying to stick to combos if I can. Not only that, but I'm looking for something with a bit more edge. The video I watched on the DSL made it sound pretty decent.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
The only thing I have against the 6505 is that it's the same damn tone on so many metal records today that I'm downright sick of it. Trying to stick to combos if I can. Not only that, but I'm looking for something with a bit more edge. The video I watched on the DSL made it sound pretty decent.

Videos will only give you an idea of what a given piece of gear sounds like. The tone can change quite drastically being recorded with different mic's; and who knows how much editing was done to it.

Like I tell everyone, your best bet (if possible) is to head into the nearest music store, and try it our for yourself. Your ears wont lie to you. What I think sounds terrible may sound beautiful to your ears. The perfect guitar tone is so subjective that all anyone here can give you is an idea of what generally would sound good for what you want.

Good luck!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
How are the Laney's? Anyone know?
6505+ Head
Quote by Ippon
Check out the Laney VH100R

I haven't tried any myself, but maybe take Ippon's suggestion. I've heard good things.

Like I said, try it our for yourself, if you have that option.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Unfortunately, I do not. There are no Laney dealers where I live (Paragould, AR). I'll give you a quick run through of the brands I can try (Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Jet City, Peavey, Vox, Blackstar)
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Unfortunately, I do not. There are no Laney dealers where I live (Paragould, AR). I'll give you a quick run through of the brands I can try (Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Jet City, Peavey, Vox, Blackstar)

Personally, I'd just go to the shop, and spend a couple hrs trying everything in your price range.

A Jet city might be a nice cheap option for you. I have the JCA50H, and its been killer so far, but I don't really play the same style of music as you. I usually set the pre gain at about 3, for a mid-hard rock tone. There's tons of gain on tap.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I have the Jet City 2212C. Are the differences between mine and yours tonally?
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
I have the Jet City 2212C. Are the differences between mine and yours tonally?

Sorry, I got confused between threads

As far as I know, they're pretty much the same amp, except yours utilizes El84 power tube, and mine has 6L6. I would say you're would kinda sound more British, while the 6L6 would be more modern/American sounding (tighter).

I've used the JCA20H, which uses EL84's but is single channel. I would say it was a little bit thinner sounding than mine, but still a great sounding amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Mine does sound a bit thick and british. I'm just looking for something fairly thick with a bit of edge (again, like a Mesa) Would the Rectoverb or Diavlo fit my needs? Also, I'm not necessarily trying to get million dollar tone. I'm just looking for an amp for Black Metal.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Mine does sound a bit thick and british. I'm just looking for something fairly thick with a bit of edge (again, like a Mesa) Would the Rectoverb or Diavlo fit my needs? Also, I'm not necessarily trying to get million dollar tone. I'm just looking for an amp for Black Metal.

I haven't tired either, so I can't comment.

I still think the EVH 5150iii would work for you, if its in your budget. It doesn't sound like your typical 6505/5150. When I used it in the studio, I never even used the 3rd channel. The 1st drive channel had ridiculous amounts of gain on tap, the 2nd was just insane. I spent about 12hrs on that thing.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Do those come in combo form?
6505+ Head
Quote by I K0nijn I
It should, yes. It'll be really heavy though, it's only available as 212 IIRC.

Correct.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
It may take a while to save 1500USD. Decent cleans with the ability to do high gain fairly well?
6505+ Head
The 5153 and VH100 are great recs.

I thought the new DSLs were OK, but not earth shattering great. I like the Class 5 better if that tells you anything.

You could always upgrade to the JCA50/100.

The Rectoverb is a sweet amp but it may not be voiced quite the way you want. I think it is pretty versatile. I did a little NAD clip back when I got it starting with the clean channel and then working my way up the dirt chain. I got it for $490
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play1238297

A Splawn would definitely be up your alley.

Can I ask a question though? You said you want a secondary amp to go along with your Jet City. Why? Stereo? Are you completely happy wit the tone you have now?

Also, what kind of budget are you dealing with?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 27, 2014,
I can spend 800 dollars. I absolutely love my Jet City. However, I find it is not always best for some of the things I want to do. What it does do for me, it does, beautifully. But I seek to expand my amplifier collection. I've heard that no one amp will do everything, and since this is true, it's why my hunt has begun for a little more extreme sound.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
I can spend 800 dollars. I absolutely love my Jet City. However, I find it is not always best for some of the things I want to do. What it does do for me, it does, beautifully. But I seek to expand my amplifier collection. I've heard that no one amp will do everything, and since this is true, it's why my hunt has begun for a little more extreme sound.

I get that. If that's the case, I wouldn't go for another model of the JCA; it'll be pretty damn similar to what you've got.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Can you get to Memphis?

http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4561529705.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4588749163.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4584347962.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4576617037.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4571551573.html
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/4589782334.html

I see a Diavlo, a Blue Voodoo, a JSX, a TSL, a Jet City 100, 6505, 5150, XXX, a Tiny Terror, etc.

I know you don't want Peavey but keep your mind open. Something like a VTM may be perfect.

http://semo.craigslist.org/msg/4587462032.html (this is not too far)
Not a big fan of driving in Memphis. I'd more more willing to go to Missouri if need be. What is a VTM?
6505+ Head
A VTM is like a seriously hotrodded JCM800 with lots of bells and whistles. Good amp.

Quote by AsOneIStand
A Randall RM100 can. Instead of collecting amps, collect modules:

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 27, 2014,
The Randall RM's must be damn good, because I've seen them recommended in high regard here. That may be what I'm looking for.
6505+ Head
I love mine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
trem-o-verb won me over. i have had it for a while now. it just kills.

the EVH 5153's are nice too, but from what i have heard (AND) heard on youtube was the bad volume issue between channel changing.

DSL's aren't bad. personally i like the 50 over the 100.

MKIV is a solid little amp in combo form. i have the head cab setup though.

i really was underwhelmed on the Jet City amps. i had a few DOA and said f*** it. then i got the first JCA50 in a trade, and i just couldn't like it. thats me though and that was right when the were coming out, so maybe something has changed. i have nothing against the company.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ I never really gelled with the Jet Cities either but that just goes to show how everything is subjective.

There is a Carvin Legacy II and 212 cab for $800 in Jonesboro.

Not sure that will have enough gain as it seems you are looking for something with a bit more meat on it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 27, 2014,
Just a word of warning, the RM100 combo is really heavy and very big (90lb and the same footprint as the top of a 1960A.) I use a trolley to move it around. It's worth it though, you just have to set yourself up. It's so big because it's a closed back thing, but that's what makes it so incredibly huge sounding for a combo. It makes my 2x12 JCM900 look and sound like a toy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I never really gelled with the Jet Cities either but that just goes to show how everything is subjective.

There is a Carvin Legacy II and 212 cab for $800 in Jonesboro.

Not sure that will have enough gain as it seems you are looking for something with a bit more meat on it.

what are you feelings about a MKIV combo for him? i have the head and love it. can get pretty much anything with a boost. IIRC the combo is the same as the head.

are you still liking the rect-o-verb? they are nice amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I played a friends DSL40c with a WGS V30 and jj tubes and loved it so much I sold my 5150iii 50w and bought a DSL 40c the 70/80 speaker isn't good I put in a WGS V30 about 5 min after I took it outta the box. V1 I put a sovtek 12ax7 wc V2-V4 gold JJ's I tried JJ EL34's and Svetlana EL34's but the stock tubes sounded better. The sovtek was a surprise in V1 I tried various tubes everywhere a nos Amprex bugleboy , nos Mullard, regular JJ's, ehx, tung sol, ei, sovtek 5751 and a Telefunkin 12at7. If you play clean or low to mid gain or use distortion pedals the 5751 sound awesome in V4 And speaking of pedals it takes pedals great (ehx soul food sounds awesome) It loves boost in front I use a EP booster and EQ and a TS....the effects loop is very good and quiet. The footswitch SUX I bought a lighted one for 30 bux off ebay reverb is OK at best but I use my Nova sys. It's a 2 channels amp with 4 different channel options plus a 20/40w switch it's super versatile just a no frills amp kinda aimed at the bedroom or studio guy for the dollars with a few easy DIY mods and it's a killer little amp. I havent missed my 5150iii 50w and the channel 1 to 2 Volume jump and those damn over sensitive fender volume pots for one second!!
Quote by mmjohn
I played a friends DSL40c with a WGS V30 and jj tubes and loved it so much I sold my 5150iii 50w and bought a DSL 40c the 70/80 speaker isn't good I put in a WGS V30 about 5 min after I took it outta the box. V1 I put a sovtek 12ax7 wc V2-V4 gold JJ's I tried JJ EL34's and Svetlana EL34's but the stock tubes sounded better. The sovtek was a surprise in V1 I tried various tubes everywhere a nos Amprex bugleboy , nos Mullard, regular JJ's, ehx, tung sol, ei, sovtek 5751 and a Telefunkin 12at7. If you play clean or low to mid gain or use distortion pedals the 5751 sound awesome in V4 And speaking of pedals it takes pedals great (ehx soul food sounds awesome) It loves boost in front I use a EP booster and EQ and a TS....the effects loop is very good and quiet. The footswitch SUX I bought a lighted one for 30 bux off ebay reverb is OK at best but I use my Nova sys. It's a 2 channels amp with 4 different channel options plus a 20/40w switch it's super versatile just a no frills amp kinda aimed at the bedroom or studio guy for the dollars with a few easy DIY mods and it's a killer little amp. I havent missed my 5150iii 50w and the channel 1 to 2 Volume jump and those damn over sensitive fender volume pots for one second!!

Not sure about the other amps these guys were talking about, but I love my DSL.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
I got 2 DSL40Cs. the newest one came from Sweetwater with a celestion creamback. I put in mesa stamped jjs and I'm very happy with it. If you want more gain than what this amp has, I don't want to hear you.
Last edited by dylumph at Sep 13, 2014,
I also played a DSL100 and found it to be more or less like the previous generations. Good amp to me.
Page 1 of 2