I've been using the "Modern Distortion" and "Metal" pedal model on my boss me-50 multi fx recently because I'm learning a few metal techniques, riffs and songs and I've been using different amps depending on the situation; small cheap Drive (the brand) SS amp that was about £40 new for practicing at night with the baby in bed, and then through either my Laney TF300 (120 watt SS amp) or my Blues Deville 212 (60 watt tube) for practicing loud through the day or with my band depending on what amp available.

I've come to the conclusion that the metal type hi gain distortion effects from the ME -50 sound better through the SS amps ive plugged into. The Blues Deville produces a much nicer fuller clean sound and nicer crunch or medium distortion that the SS amps, but the hi gain effect on the pedal sound more mean and more "metallic" on the SS amps.

Is it that im just not EQ'ing correctly or not using the pedal effect properly? I believed that the large clean headroom from the Blues Deville would be a good "pedal platform" for such effects, but the amp doesn't seem to give me the exact sound I'm after. It's certainly a passable tone for my needs but why do I prefer the sound of a crappy £40 SS starter amp to my £600 60 watt valve amp for a more "metal" tone?

I've been thinking of buying a stand alone metal type distortion like the EHX Metal Muff, but I dont know if i will be able to try before I buy and I don't wanna buy one if it's not gonna be much of a tone upgrade.

Any ideas?
Last edited by lodgi at Jul 27, 2014,
Some people like SS tone.

Do you happen to think Dimebag sounds good, perchance?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 on both of what you're saying
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pedals and amps interact differently and you just gotta experiment. I really liked a TS9 through my HRD Deluxe as it added just the right amount of attitude. Through my Mesa a TS9 leaves me wanting but the OCD brings just enough hair to drive the clean channel without undoing the excellent tone. The Ratt pedal sounds great through Marshall and Vox amps but is less interesting through a Fender Blackface. Most OD pedals sound weak through SS amps but some distortion pedals can sound really tight and heavy. Just gotta experiment.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Offworld92
Some people like SS tone.

Do you happen to think Dimebag sounds good, perchance?

Yeah I like his sound.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I guess an amp like the Blues Deville would colour the sound more and just be voiced wrong for metal.

What do people mean by amp "voice"? Is it the speakers, cab style, circuitry?
Quote by lodgi
Yeah I like his sound.

There you go. Makes sense why a warm tube amp wouldn't give you what you want.

Check out amps like the Peavey XXX and Krank Krankenstein, they are tube amps but are very bright and have a SS feel because of it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lodgi
What do people mean by amp "voice"? Is it the speakers, cab style, circuitry?

pretty much all of those put together (and maybe the tubes too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?